Mute Out 1 or Out 2 via MIDI?

Valhalla

Hello,
Could use a little help. I'm setting up my rack to send the Axe Out 1 (stereo) to mixer channels 1 and 2, and Out 2 to a rack fx processor that goes into mixer channels 3 and 4.
I wish to mute the Output of either Out 1 or Out 2 with a switch--or two--, for series, parallel or dry processing.
Out 1 or Out 2 would go to zero volume/be muted altogether. I note that there are CC#s 11 and 12 dedicated to Out 1 Volume and Out 2 Volume, respectively. The thing is, I don't want a continuous pedal method, just trigger one of two possible states, normal output volume or zero output volume. Using an MC8.
Edit: Since an FX Loop block is needed to use Out 2, would just sending a CC#59 and setting the FX Loop block's Bypass Mode be a better approach? Is there a way of muting Out 2 without having to add an FX Loop block to every Axe preset I'm using?
Much gratitude for any suggestions on how to set this up.

Last edited:
Would this be the correct routing for the FX Block Out 2 going to an outboard processor?
FX_Block.jpg
One other question. Since the processor wants balanced input jacks, will a basic TRS-TRS work okay in the Axe's Out 2 jacks?
I appreciate the help. It means a lot.

That routing is good for sending (pre-reverb) signal to Out 2.

I think the humbuster 1/4" output design might cause unintended results (loud/distorted signal) if you connect to a balanced input with a TRS cable. I would see how a TS cable works first.

Okay thanks. I was wondering also if the FX Loop block should be connected to the Output. I'm still learning.
The H8000 manual says in regard to its analog inputs, "To "unbalance" the jack, use pins #1 and #3 as ground and use pin #2 as "hot." Be aware that this will reduce the maximum output level by 6dB, so you should usually increase the output gain by 6dB to compensate."
That's the same plug wiring that the Axe Out 2 jacks want as well. So what then? A humbuster-wired TRS plug on both ends?
In the midi controller I set up two switches, one with CC#59 value 0 for mute and another CC#59 value 127 for unmute. I noticed that while the Axe recognizes the midi, the edit light goes on when I hit the CC message. Is this normal behavior?
Am I doing this right?
I appreciate your patience along with all the help.

I guess I'd follow the Eventide manual, after maybe checking how a TS 1/4" cable sounds. (The H8000 has combo XLR & 1/4" inputs, correct?)

The edited LED lights up if a block's bypass state changes. That approach works fine but you could get the same result without the LED by controlling Out 2 volume.

Unbalanced TS cables will work for the Axe Out 2 sends to the H8000 inputs, I've learned. I'll just have to adjust the analog input levels on the 8000.
I set the MC8 on Axe CC#12 for Out 2 Volume, with the mute switch at value 0 and unmute switch at value 127. Only using a CC message on those switches (on the Axe midi channel), reasoning that it should work on any preset.
The yellow edited LED still comes on, goes away when I change Axe presets, but comes on again if I hit the mute/unmute switches. Would that be because I'm using toggle state switches instead of a continuous controller pedal? It's looking like I'll have to live with it, I only want on/off, nothing in between (swells/fades).
Also it would be helpful if I knew for sure that a connector from the FX Loop block to the Output block--in parallel with the main Out 1-- is needed or if I can leave it like in the screenshot above.
I haven't fired it up and tried it yet, want to be careful that it's set up correctly.
I'm just a little slow in getting my head around the logic of it all.
I really appreciate the guidance. Thanks!

Global volume CCs aren't lighting the edited LED here. I'd check whether the switch has another CC programmed, and look through the I/O: CTRL menu for anything else set to CC#12.

The FX Loop block output is the signal from Axe Input 2, or the FXL block input if no cable connected at In 2. If you don't need to use In 2 or shunt that same signal to output 1 there's no need to connect FXL to anything in the next column.

I got it working! @Bakerman Your advice was on the money. The Out 2 mute/unmute is dead quiet, silent through the H8000. Set up a bunch of presets. Laying down loops, muting for lead playing on Scene 2 etc., unmuting to add loops... it's great. Thanks again man!:)

Back
Top Bottom