Musicman User Experience ?

stratamania

Fractal Fanatic
I wonder if any of you could let me know your experiences of Musicman guitars. I am planning a trip to the US and thought I might pick one up while I am there.

I currently have Stratocasters, Ibanez Jem7V and an 80s Hamer Chapparal Custom which is a 24 fret Floyd equipped superstrat. I am looking to add to what I have now.

The models I have been thinking of are :-

• Steve Morse Y2D, available with or without a Floyd Rose.
  • JPx or JPX1
  • Game Changer

Any comments thoughts on the following would be useful.

JPX vs JPXI, any thoughts or observations ?
How well do you guys find the Musicman JP models tremelos stay in tune ?
Will it return to pitch after serious use ?
How easy is it to change the JP tuning say to drop D when it is set up to float ?

Game changer looks a great idea. Is anyone using one especially the midi changing of the pickups along with an Axe FX preset change seems a great idea. Especially the version with piezo would give a lot of flexibility. Is this technology going to appear on other models, it just seems to be the reflex model at the moment.
Any thoughts welcome ?

Thanks in advance 8)

I had a Albert Lee MM model that had three P90s in it. Very high quality guitars, wonderful neck. I feel sure the JP guitars would be as good.

Love Musicman guitars! The necks are great!! I own a silhouette and a silhouette special but also owned a JP6 that felt great but didn't like hitting the 5 way switch all the time.

Wow you guys are fast !

Oh anyone who knows a good store in New York for Musicman would be good to get some feedback too.

Wow you guys are fast !

Oh anyone who knows a good store in New York for Musicman would be good to get some feedback too.
Have been an Ernie Ball musicman guitar player for a while,I don't play it anymore but that has nothing to do with the fact
that it's a world-class quality instrument. I have one of the earlier versions of the JP modle. I would suggest you check out the JP13,
that is just about to come out. It may be what you're looking for. It's a different guitar from mine. Have a look at the specs.
jp13-specs.jpg
As for the stores,not a big fan of Guitar Center but their NY store is well known. Sam Ash is pretty good. There is one called Guitar Asylum,although I can't take
any guarantee for their customer service. I haven't dealt with them.

What about Music Zoo ? Anyone tried them.

The JP13 looks nice although I was erring towards darker colours.

I own an Axis. This is a wonderful guitar for the price, IMO. Very broad tonal range and one of the best neck feeling İ've played. Albert Lee and Luke 3 are on my list, and I'm in love with Luke's rosewood neck, though I dont like any EMGs.

You cant go wrong with Musicmans. Look up for BFR Petruccis if you have enough cash.

Some great feedback so far.

The JP13, boost and coil taps looks a cool feature. Immortal_soloist thanks for the video 8) I won't be going to the US till end of March so the JP13 could be in the stores then.

Guess I am going to try a few different ones and make a difficult choice.

The JP13, boost and coil taps looks a cool feature. Immortal_soloist thanks for the video 8) I won't be going to the US till end of March so the JP13 could be in the stores then.

You're welcome! Yes it should be out in the stores by then. Yea try everything and then decide
which guitar resonates with you the most.
All the best.

I own an Axis. This is a wonderful guitar for the price, IMO. Very broad tonal range and one of the best neck feeling İ've played. Albert Lee and Luke 3 are on my list, and I'm in love with Luke's rosewood neck, though I dont like any EMGs.

You cant go wrong with Musicmans. Look up for BFR Petruccis if you have enough cash.

Good news for you then! The new Musicman Luke modle does not have EMGs anymore. Lukather is now
using Dimarzio pick ups.

For me the EMG's are superb. They work great with the Axe-Fx. I can't understand why so many players dismiss them out of hand. All EMG's don't sound alike. The single coils in both of my Luke guitars are very different sounding indeed. Still it's a personal thing. There is no right or wrong with pickups, much like choice of strings/picks etc.....

I have a JP LE and it's a very nice guitar. It has the best non locking trem available but like any floating trem you will have problems tuning to drop d unless that's where you put it and leave it. It has an awesome roasted maple neck and feels similar to my thin ibanez necks. I changed pickups in mine and am very happy with it.

It all comes down to what specs you want. I've owned at least 4 (can't remember lol) EBMM JP models and they are all amazing guitars. I must say that the last JPXI that I owned wasn't my favorite though. The unfinished neck is where the magic happens at EBMM. So I suggest you go for those... just try the difference and I know you'll agree with me. :)

The only issue I've had with EBMM JPs is that I don't want to be labeled as a JP fanboy. However the guitar is the easiest guitar to play from what I've ever had. (and I've had them all honestly) Remember that it's not about playability alone but the balance of things... I found the right balance from PRS guitars. Still frequently play fat Tele necks and Gibson necks too.

.... I'm rambling so it's better to stop. :D

Wow you guys are fast !

Guitar center has some of them in stock to try. You may have to find one that has them. As for buying them you can see if you can get a 15% coupon from Musicians friend or similar online stores and have them ship it to a US address (if you are staying for a few days) without paying local taxes.

I would not count on seeing the new models in the stores. I had to wait weeks for delivery of new models. I have to say I tried 3 of the JP6 BFR and JPX but ended up returning them. The guitars were beautiful, the neck was thin, fast and easy to play. My issue is I could not get the sound I wanted out of them. I may have not tried too hard. Any ways, they were not right for me. I ended up with a PRS P24 and I am in love with it.

I a les Paul custom, custom shop les Paul standard, 2 explorers, 4 custom shop charvels, a PRS custom 22, rg570, and 2 music man petruccis, a regular JP6 loaded and a JPX roasted neck. I rarely play anything but the jpx or jp6. Best quality and best tone

Back
Top Bottom