Musicman Majesty, good?

Interesting, have not seen that happening with my EBMM guitars, not that California is usually less humid with the exception of this winter when it was raining nearly every day here in Northern California.

Usually if you see something like that, contact EBMM support and they fix it for you. I had to take a new Luke back to do a couple of frets not being polished properly.

Honestly, even if weather is different in every place, the only time I adjusted a little my jp12's truss rod was when I changed strings to paradigms, nothing moved beyond subtle since many years :)

I have 3 musicman guitars a steve morse, lukeIII, and a jp6. The jp6 has a roasted maple neck and is the most unstable neck of all guitars I own . I've spent a lot of time adjusting the truss rod and sometimes it plays perfect but never lasts for long. I have Ibanez necks with even thinner profiles but are much more stable.

I believe ernie balls construction process is what causes this. In the video below at around 8:50 you can see they sand a back bow into the neck before fretting, by tightening the truss rod. Usually this is done if you have a one way truss rod in case the strings don't pull enough to create a forward bow, release the truss rod pressure an you have a forward bow. I'm not sure this is a good method because a straight neck, when adding frets creates a back bow.

Last edited:
This is interesting to me hearing everyone's experiences.

My old EBMM Axis is my #1 guitar.

At its most stable, when I don't play it for a day, it can be plus or minus and entire half step when I pick it up and check tuning.

Certain times of the year, as everyone mentioned, I need to tweak the truss rod as I would find the strings laying on the frets in unplayable condition due to bowing.

None of my other guitar necks- Gibson, Dan Armstrong, Rickenbacker, PRS SE, Ibanez, Epiphone, Takamine, or Squier have these issues, so I know it's not an environmental issue or age of the guitar issue.

It's gotten to the point where I am considering replacing the standard tuners with locking tuners so that I don't have to keep unlocking the nut to tune every day.

The roasted maple necks on my MM are very stable. I’ve rarely had to adjust the truss rod on either of them since first setting them up. Maybe it has to do more with the cut of the neck with the grain alignment on some compared to others??? Or maybe I just got lucky.

Have had a number of MM over the years (Van Halens, Axis, Axis sport, JP) all have been excellent in terms of build quality. The majesty’s I have tried have been amazing in terms playability, just can’t reconcile the aesthetics of it though.

I will echo what others have said, my JP 13 (as seen in my avatar) is the most climate unstable neck I have. It’s an inconvenience, but not a show stopper as it’s easy to rectify. Not sure it would benefit much from the reinforcement rods as I have a Wolfgang that does have the rods, but still requires a fair bit of adjustment as well.

I’ve had a JP12 and a Majesty, they were both fantastic guitars but like many have said already the necks move way to much for me. Even when I kept them cased and pulled them out I’d still have to tweak the truss rod which is why I sold them both, they really need to consider graphite reinforcements maybe to help with that. My PRS on the other hand are some of the most stable guitars I own yes every once in awhile they need an adjustment but it’s generally around the change of the seasons and then that’s it.

My JP6 is one of the most stable guitars I own. I almost never have to tune it, so no complaints there. I don't know how the neck differs on the Majesty. I have always heard they play great, but I can't quite get past the design. I might get one someday. Who knows.

Seems there are different issues with the EBMM guitars. My Morse (Y2D) and Axis both have a Floyd Rose bridge and it's extremely seldom I need to re-open the locking nut to adjust the tuning, the floating trem knobs work fine for micro-tuning. I need this anyway as most of my gigs I play with keyboards where an untuned guitar is a sad thing.

Pretty strange thing the damn neck stability issues, I have a 2016 Majesty 7 and live in an area that is + 30°C in summer and - 14°C in winter, and no problems at all, I think that is just good luck, because my guitar came with a very poor nut setup, so QC was not the best in my case, thank god.

Back
Top Bottom