Music recommandations for a long run

Well what types of music do you enjoy? And your wife and child? I really enjoy a lot of types myself and for long trips may go the classic route, like The Wall, or the White Album as it has some pretty kid friendly stuff on it and though we've all heard it since we were babies, today's kids don't necessarily have that same listener fatigue.

I prefer to listen to mostly indie/underground music these days being an indie/underground musician myself, not sure if it's okay to suggest a project I work with here (though we're certainly a non-profit art based project and not a product - we're also a collab, so if you, or anyone here might be interested in lending a hand, or two, feel free to let me know) and interested in hearing something pretty unique and diverse that mixes everything from techno/industrial to rock, from "spacejazz" to neo-classical and enjoy sci-fi, you might really enjoy The Archives by Omenopus, it's a Sci-fi "radioplay" concept CD, essentially telling a story with songs between, it's definitely not mainstream, but received a lot of nice reviews like this from indie press: OmenOpus - The Archives | Hifi Pig

Of course writing about music is like dancing about architecture, so here's a couple very different tracks from it:

https://soundcloud.com/omenopus/13-mirrors-the-archives
https://soundcloud.com/omenopus/stand-still-radio

And of course if your family likes heavy, you can never go wrong with Tool, but for some (mostly) instrumental Tool-like stuff that tends to be lighter, I'd suggest With Our Arms To The Sun (cool vid they did for this one too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWPlDrCzZnc

If you want to get into listening to jazz guitar, here's a small sampling of my favourites across a reasonably wide range of styles:
Joe Pass - Virtuoso
Tuck Andress - Reckless Precision
John Scofield - East Meets West
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
George Benson - Breezin'

Listen to the new Failure album - The Heart is a Monster over and over again...

Yeah, was scrolling through the lists in order to see if this had been mentioned yet. The two gents (not "djents") who play guitar and bass in this band both champion Fractal quite openly in their interviews and such. Onstage, their sounds are pure Axe-FX except for the use of a Rainbow Machine that can be heard at the intro to this song:

Failure - Hot Traveler

It's their first album in almost 20 years. The dude mixes at home, ffs.

A long time favorite for mellow instrumental guitar music - Russ Freeman & Craig Chaquico's album "From the Redwoods to the Rockies"

France has many Pat Metheny (Group) fans and rightly so. His best work is family friendly and great vibed :)
BTW: many of his records have roads on them ;)

My first recommendations would be the best of these CD's (for me "Best Of" material by themselves):

- Travels (2CD live)
- Letter From Home
- Still Life (Talking)
- Secret Story
- First Circle

The most calming I find "Beyond The Missouri Sky" [w. Charlie Haden]. Really grows on you :) (though more jazzy at times)

Bon voyage!

Last edited:
May I humbly recommend:

Them Crooked Vultures
New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent
Miles Davis - Man With the Horn (featuring Mike Stern)
Rush - Counterparts
The Strypes

For a long drive, I listen to the complete Jim Croce collection. Maybe some Don Mclean. Anything to reduce stress and remind me that real poetry once existed in pop music.

Pat Metheny's San Lorenzo has the same effect, even though it is instrumental.

Not rock, metal, pop or guitars but good music...

Avishai Cohen - Seven Seas

Alboran Trio - Meltemi

Aldo Romano, Henri Texier, Louis Sclavis - African Flashback

antemasque is really good music without a lot of intensity. if you want the rock to be heavy then there is a new between the buried and me album that is pretty darn good

PS: jazz guitar?

Dave Stryker - Stardust
Barney Kessel with the Poll Winners
Jimmy Raney visits Paris (1954) vol 2
John Hart - Scenes from a song
Mike Miller - Save the moon

;)

Some names that haven't been mentioned:

David Maxim Micic - Bilo I, II & III
Animals As Leaders - The joy of motion
Anubis Gate - Horizons
Beardfish - +4626 - comfortzone
The Chant - New haven
Fates Warning - Darkness in a different light
The Gentle Storm - The diary
Grorr - The unknown citizens (this one's pretty heavy though...)
Haken - The mountain
Kingcrow - Eidos
Leprous - The congregation
Pomegranate Tiger - Entities
Marco Sfogli - Remarcoble
Teramaze - Esoteric symbolism
While Heaven Wept - Suspended at aphelion
Widek - Journey to the stars

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom