Music only plays through Apollo Twin when AxeFX is on

greiswig

Power User
I'm not sure what has happened, but I can now only monitor music in my setup when the AxeFX is on. Otherwise my Apollo Twin Mk2 shows signal at output, but it isn't audible.

Macbook --> USB hub via USB-C cable --> Apollo Twin via thunderbolt
AxeFX ---> SPDIF converter to optical cable --> Apollo Twin optical in

Macbook clearly shows that the sound device being used is the Apollo, although the AxeFX does show up as an option and isn't selected. I've tried switching clock sources, rebooting devices, etc. This did not behave this way before. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I don't have an Apollo, but maybe I can toss some ideas that might assist.

It sounds to me like it is most likely an issue on the Apollo side. If I understand correctly, some of the Apollo gear has routing control, which may mean nothing, but it sounds like one of the Apollo input(s) (AxeFX) might be toggled to locking, preventing the Apollo from accepting input from another source (Mac).

If that was not the case, I would probably disconnect the SPDIF cable from the Apollo, and if there was still nothing, reboot the Apollo. Just thinking about a possible auto-recognition possibility if the Digital input has a physical cable. I wouldn't expect this to be the case, but I would be trying all possibilities until it was again behaving as expected.

Wish I had first-hand knowledge that had less guessing involved. Best of luck resolving this.
Lee

I ended up calling UA. They're pretty sure the problem is with the new Mac OS. Bottom line, don't update to Monterey yet, because it isn't supported.

I'm not in front of my mac right now. I have an apollo x6. the other week I turned on the unit and wasn't getting any sound. It turned out a setting somehow got changed in audio/midi on the mac. I forget the exact path in settings but take a look at your audio/midi see if something got changed...

The big clue for us is that no matter whether the clock is set to internal or SPDIF, the indicator in the Console software is blinking red. So something is haywire.

open console and select "internal" instead of "spdif" as the clock source (down the bottom of the ui in the middle)

(with it set to spdif, watch what happens when you turn the axe on and off)

open console and select "internal" instead of "spdif" as the clock source (down the bottom of the ui in the middle)

(with it set to spdif, watch what happens when you turn the axe on and off)
I had done that. Same effect - red flashing indicator no matter what. That's why UAD Support thought it must be an issue with the OS. I updated the firmware on the UAD, uninstalled and reinstalled the UAD software, and now the red flashing is off, but still no output and now the meters aren't showing anything when playing tracks from the computer, either.

you've got digital input set to spdif and sample rate set to 48k i'm assuming?

keep clock source set to internal for now

in audio midi setup, you should have all these icons next to the apollo. if not right click/control click and select "use this blah blah" (can't remember what it says now)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 20.33.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 20.33.23.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
once you've got audio from the computer working, then have a think about the axe. i would swap out the cables and make sure the adaptor is powered. if logging off for the night, so pm me if you still need help. i'm using the axe via spdif as well.

I had done that. Same effect - red flashing indicator no matter what. That's why UAD Support thought it must be an issue with the OS. I updated the firmware on the UAD, uninstalled and reinstalled the UAD software, and now the red flashing is off, but still no output and now the meters aren't showing anything when playing tracks from the computer, either.
I'm not sure this will help but in your mac audio midi setup. Check the speaker config (for your apollo device) and see if anything has changed there. That's what happened to me before ..simplest thing got changed somehow.

yeah, if the drivers have been uninstalled, then macos won't know it's supposed to use them for system audio

Back
Top Bottom