Music Man Majesty vs Suhr vs Strandberg vs Tom Anderson vs...

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
I received my Majesty three days ago. Here I'm testing piezo tones first, then magnetic pickups, for clean tones, and comparing with some of my other guitars - Line 6 Variax, Suhr, Strandberg, Tom Anderson, Fender Player, Ibanez RG premium...

Surprisingly, the Graph Tech bridge + Acousti Phonic kit sounds as good as the piezo from the Majesty !
Of course, the Music Man in on another level as an instrument

I only played basic chords, can't do better than that atm (convalescent)

Great taste in guitars.(you chose the same Majesty color as I) ...your new clean pack is excellent, may I say again, and feel better soon.

Thank you ! got a nasty food poisoning in Madagascar...

Now I need a SG ! :p
I recently brought my battle scarred 78 SG that I’ve had since 83, in to replace the dead bridge pup...popped in a Seymour Duncan JB
And got it a proper setup, it is again one of my favorites in a large stable that includes a couple of Custom Shop SGs......if you can find a vintage standard , this is a model that really deserves it.

....the Graph Tech bridge + Acousti Phonic kit sounds as good as the piezo from the Majesty !

I only played basic chords, can't do better than that atm (convalescent)

The graphtec bridge piezos and acoustiphonic are stunning effectively.

Take care

360_22806a4881a7d442012f5c99098e813a.jpg

<3 <3 <3

Thibault, I hate to be the guy that asks this question (but I'm going to anyways). If you could only have 1 guitar, what would you choose?

The Tom Anderson. It's a custom order, so I have a special attachment to it, and it's also the easiest to play. The Majesty is easy to play too of course, but I wish it had jumbo frets, not medium jumbo. I like them very high for ultimate control on the bends !
I also have a few minor issues with the Majesty. I raised the string height to help with string bending and adjusted the trussrod a little but can't raise the pickups accordingly - seems there are no spings under the pickup caches. Now they're too far from the strings. If I try to adjust their height, they fall back in their original position and moves back and forth. Annoying ! A friend will come to put springs in them.
Also, tuning stability isn't perfect. That's why I'm partial to Floyd Roses ! A Majesty with high frets and a Floyd would be ideal for me. Maybe I need a Music Man signature ? :sunglasses: :p

btw - later tonight I'll release a special video, playing leads with 5 different presets, on 4 different guitars, Music Man Majesty, Ibanez Premium, Tom Anderson and Strandberg. I'm very pleased by the outcome, considering that I didn't play for almost two weeks, first because I was in Madagascar, second because I was back with a severe food poisoning and had to recover. I guess privation brings back the inspiration (that, and using backing tracks I never used before too) ! Playing scales on a telecaster for 80 minutes while watching a documentary the night before also helped

The Tom Anderson. It's a custom order, so I have a special attachment to it, and it's also the easiest to play. The Majesty is easy to play too of course, but I wish it had jumbo frets, not medium jumbo. I like them very high for ultimate control on the bends !
I also have a few minor issues with the Majesty. I raised the string height to help with string bending and adjusted the trussrod a little but can't raise the pickups accordingly - seems there are no spings under the pickup caches. Now they're too far from the strings. If I try to adjust their height, they fall back in their original position and moves back and forth. Annoying ! A friend will come to put springs in them.
Also, tuning stability isn't perfect. That's why I'm partial to Floyd Roses ! A Majesty with high frets and a Floyd would be ideal for me. Maybe I need a Music Man signature ? :sunglasses: :p
Man, that Tom Anderson you have there is drool-worthy! Would love to hear that thing through some high gain goodness! One like that might just be my next purchase.

I had an angel before (it was even blue) but no Floyd, or Piezo. Did you add the Graphtech yourself? Can I ask how your switching is set up?

A friend installed the Graphtech for me. I don't have a tone control on that guitar now, that pot became the piezo volume. A 3 ways mini switch toggle between magnetics, piezo, or both. The pickup selectors works as before, but no coil split in the push-push pot (the piezo volume), instead it selects a second piezo voicing. I only use the 1st voicing anyway.
While waiting for the Majesty I thought about selling that guitar but I'll keep it. The piezo sounds as good, and as I made the bridge a fixed one, I can tune it to dropped D in seconds

This topic caused some severe gas...

I already had a Suhr classic pro, but I had to find a Majesty and a Tom Anderson (Classic T with 3 PU's), for a reasonable amount, which I did and couldn't be happier.

I now have 3 favourites....but the $700 guitar i just bought isn't far behind, which is why I am replying to this thread.

It is a 2003-2007 Carvin DC127 with 4 pots, 3 toggles plus the 3 way switch, it has a JB-59 combo in it and with the neck thru build of rock maple and the Alder wings as well as the active electronics ...this thing sings, it has the sustain and most of flexibility of the Majesty (except not the peizo)
and with the nice pro setup it came with it has almost the smooth playability of the Tom Anderson.

This is a very under-rated guitar ...it belongs in my top 4 at the moment for sure!

I got a good deal on it because the seller didn't know how to use the controls ...or even that the volume has a push/pull for activating the passive tone control ( I had no idea at the time either), but we assumed the pot was either not hooked up or faulty, he also thought the mini toggles worked in reverse to how they do work...so he wasn't getting the sounds he wanted through a Line 6 amp

With the Axe 3 and knowing how the controls work there is little to be desired with the DC127...and a much cheaper alternative to the other 3.

Back
Top Bottom