AFIII Music Man Luke III + Fractal Axe-Fx III = <3

I'm also left-handed but, because my parents gave me right-handed guitar as my first one, I have just learned to play right-handed guitar, I'am so grateful for that :D It is so hard to find good deals on left handed guitars :(

I'm also left-handed but, because my parents gave me right-handed guitar as my first one, I have just learned to play right-handed guitar, I'am so grateful for that :D It is so hard to find good deals on left handed guitars :(
im super left handed,i do everything with my left hand,yeah is super hard to find good deal on lefty guitars,my first guitar was a lefty so i have to learn to play that way,congrats to you for learning to play right handed but i cant image playing myself righ handed;)

im super left handed,i do everything with my left hand,yeah is super hard to find good deal on lefty guitars,my first guitar was a lefty so i have to learn to play that way,congrats to you for learning to play right handed but i cant image playing myself righ handed;)

Yep, after spending couple of years playing left-handed guitar - there is no point in changing it right now :)

I've always wondered if the conventional wisdom is backwards anyways. If you are right-handed shouldn't your dominant hand be the one fretting and vice-versa?

I've always wondered if the conventional wisdom is backwards anyways. If you are right-handed shouldn't your dominant hand be the one fretting and vice-versa?

That's right...er..correct. Who was it that said your strumming/picking hand dictates your handedness? Arguably your fretting hand has the most challenging function. Anyways...I'm left handed with guitars but ultimately I'm a mix of both when it comes to other tasks. I still use the guitar I bought new 35 years ago.

I'm left handed and my first guitar was a right-handed one and thats how I play now. But I can remember when I was a kid before I had a guitar I would air guitar the left handed way and then first starting to learn took a slight mental adjustment. It is just how the body works.

Me too. Took me forever to learn. But I think it’s because dominant hand is the ‘boss’ and pushes the other one to do changes on tempo...that’s what I told myself anyway.

Sounds great! Please share the preset if you don't mind, I think I would really enjoy that.
Thanks !
I uploaded preset on axe change (I can't add link to my posts, I need to write at least 10 messages first :D). Preset is called:
Music ManZilla Crunch
But, I've used ML Zilla 03 Vintage D cab from The ML Misha Mansoor UltraRes Cab Pack Bundle.

I don't think that it matters at all. I started playing on right handed - and my learning process wasn't a struggle, as far as I remember I didn't have any problems at all. Only thing I can see is, that my legato is much better than picking, so left hand seem to be better(?). But, I think this is due to my practice routine :)

I've always thought the handedness of guitars is the way it is because even though the fretting hand is important, the strumming hand is *more* important.

Pitch is generated by the non-dominant hand but almost all of the feel and expression of the instrument comes from the dominant hand. I mean yes, vibrato is extremely important, but I've always thought the mark of a truly good player is in how the notes are initially struck. All the good vibrato in the world won't save a note that's just gonked out of a the guitar with no subtlety or care.

moving a finger from one fret to another
I think that's a gross oversimplification of what the fretting hand does...

There are four fingers (and sometimes the thumb), all of which are often moving simultaneously to land on different frets and different strings. The fingers often have to be contorted to fit the shape of complex chords.

This process may also involve 1 or more of the fretting hand fingers needing to barre multiple strings, plays hammer-ons and/or pull-offs, etc all while making sure to mute unwanted notes and allow open strings to ring as needed.

And I haven't even started to talk about lead playing...

The best player I've known personally was a lefty but played right handed. He was from the area I grew up in and could have easily turned pro.

Steve Morse is left handed, plays right handed. He won Guitar Player magazine Best Overall Guitarist five years in a row. Seems to have worked out ok for him.

Back
Top Bottom