Music Man Luke 1 with EMG's or Luke 3 with DiMarzio Transitions?

Neelfy

Inspired
Hello my fellow AxeFX chums!

Getting a Music Man Luke (in HSS format) shortly and want some input from you guys on which type of pickup would be best/more appropriate for the Axe FX

The Luke 3 has the passive DiMarzio Transition pickups with a switchable preamp 12dB boost.

Was wondering if the boost circuit on the Luke 3/DiMarzio's is more suited to "real amp" input and i.e. no a real advantage to the AxeFX. Of course I dont need to use the boost but it would be nice addition if its usable.

So its more a question of do you think the active EMG's would be better or the passive DiMarzios or would both be suited and its more of purely personal preference between the active and passive

Thanks guys

I have 2 Luke III's (both PDN Neptune Blues one maple and one rosewood fretboard). Just brilliant guitars. The boost works amazing with the Axe FxII, can easily get you into grit territory on a clean patch and can add some nice sustain on dirty patch.

I have 2 Luke III's (both PDN Neptune Blues one maple and one rosewood fretboard). Just brilliant guitars. The boost works amazing with the Axe FxII, can easily get you into grit territory on a clean patch and can add some nice sustain on dirty patch.

Kinda what I was hoping for. Great to hear form someone with real experience of owning one. Thanks dude, really appreciate your input.

PS what's the differences between PDN and non PDN?

Last edited:
I have a Luke II, which is active with EMG'S. It's really easy to get amazing sparkling clean tones, but it takes more time to get (without getting sterile) a good crunch tone. Though high gain tones are easy to create and are great, ready to use in the studio or live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

You have confirmed pretty much all the points that I felt why to go for the Luke III.

Will be pulling the trigger in next day or so.

Really do appreciate all your input.

Thanks again.

PDN = Premier Dealer Network - they are a limited run (always different every year) with options that you cannot normally get. This Neptune Blue Run had the roasted maple necks with the option of a roasted maple fingerboard or rosewood fingerboard, stainless steel frets, with a mahogany body also the Neptune Blue translucent finish - pretty sweet.

Back
Top Bottom