Mushy/Muddy Low End Amp Settings??

So I usually don't have issues like this, but I'm stuck. So I'm dialing in a nice ambient edge of breakup preset, and so far it sounds amazing! Only issue is that on lower notes it feels like the amp is giving out, which I'm thinking is just one of the deeper amp block parameters? I've turned off Sag, and I'm starting to think it has to do with biasing of the tubes, but I have no idea what Half the advanced amp parameters even mean?? Anyone think they can help?? I'm using a Les Paul with Seth Lover's into the axe FX w/ I/O at 52.9, into my interface and to my studio monitors.

Attachments

• Ambient Heaven.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
There are a lot of ways to approach this. Not sure what you mean by "giving out" but I wonder if it's related to your guitar's tone. Here's a quick and easy way to knock out some low end at the front: put a PEQ block in front of the amp and reduce the lows. See how this affects what you're hearing. I'd turn Sag back up. You probably don't want to disable the power amp if it isn't necessary.

Or maybe it's as simple as turning down the Master volume.

I'm on FM3 so just looking at it through FracTool.
Having the normal drive up as high as it appears may be part of the issue.
I tried to duplicate your settings using my LP with Pearly Gates and it will flub out with the normal drive above 6. Try backing the normal drive setting down around 5ish. I am then able to crank the MV without issues.
If you need more level on the front end of the amp try a neutral input boost, input trim or drive the front of the amp with the output level of the comp.
You can clear up some boomyness with the input eq/preamp low cut, low cuts in the cab block and also delays/verbs.

I don't believe you should need to adjust any deep settings to correct the issue.

Also make sure your pickups heights aren't an issue. A milimeter or two adjustment can do a lot. It does on my PG's.

Haven't played around with that amp before. So thanks for that, cheers.

There are a lot of ways to approach this. Not sure what you mean by "giving out" but I wonder if it's related to your guitar's tone. Here's a quick and easy way to knock out some low end at the front: put a PEQ block in front of the amp and reduce the lows. See how this affects what you're hearing. I'd turn Sag back up. You probably don't want to disable the power amp if it isn't necessary.

Or maybe it's as simple as turning down the Master volume.
Sorry, I should have been a little more detailed with my issue! "Giving Out" meaning that when I play lower notes, it feels like the "amp" is collapsing, I don't know a better way to put it? LOL It reminds me of when you turn a vintage tweed deluxe up all the way and the amp just kinda farts out on lower notes. It doesn't feel like an EQ issue, it feels more like a bias/headroom/power issue, not with the fractal, but with the "amp"

I'm on FM3 so just looking at it through FracTool.
Having the normal drive up as high as it appears may be part of the issue.
I tried to duplicate your settings using my LP with Pearly Gates and it will flub out with the normal drive above 6. Try backing the normal drive setting down around 5ish. I am then able to crank the MV without issues.
If you need more level on the front end of the amp try a neutral input boost, input trim or drive the front of the amp with the output level of the comp.
You can clear up some boomyness with the input eq/preamp low cut, low cuts in the cab block and also delays/verbs.

I don't believe you should need to adjust any deep settings to correct the issue.

Also make sure your pickups heights aren't an issue. A milimeter or two adjustment can do a lot. It does on my PG's.

Haven't played around with that amp before. So thanks for that, cheers.
I'll try that out! I always have a hard time balancing the High and Normal drives, it's either flubby or too thin!

Back
Top Bottom