Multiwave Distortion Octave

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
Hey.

This sound (3 first three blocks) are a clone of the Multiwave Distortion pedal by Source Audio.
This is one of the Octave settings.

soundblox-multiwave-distortion.jpg

Attachments

• MWD Oct E10 dp.syx
    2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I've no idea if I'd ever use such a thing, but appreciate your efforts & work Don
clap.gif

thanks.

and... it's just a bit of octave fuzz and much mellower than the 'stock' octave drive in the Axe.
singlecoils, neck pickup, a few bluesy licks with volume and tone adjusted to taste... mhhhhh...

;)

Don, that's so cool that you did this! Unfortunately when I try to save it as a block, Axe Edit crashes! Do you have a recorded sound of this?

I am using the 4 cable method with the ULTRA as an effects unit only. I wanted to save the blocks and then try them in my chain, but axe edit crashes...

try these

Attachments

• MWD Oct 1of3.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 41
  • MWD Oct 2of3.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 41
  • MWD Oct 3of3.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 42
Thanks! Sounds very industrial, dissonant, messy and cool all at once. I like playing 2 and 3 strings at once. All 6 are too chaotic! Lead notes are strange as well. Very post-apocalyptic!

Found this just now (is the sound after 3:00 what you're aiming for?!) -

and then there's our own Pete Thorn (octave distortion at 5:26)-

Last edited:
the Multiwave Distortion offers 21 different algorithms.

I set mine to algorithm 10, sustain at noon, drive 3 o'clock and level at 1 o'clock.
I measured this setting and matched it with the Axe's Octave Dist.

it sounds best with singlecoils to me, and with the volume rolled back a bit to take the edge off.

Great! I am going to check it tomorrow :)

Is there a way to get a foldback distortion sound? I have to check out what that actually is, but it sounds pretty crazy in the Peter Thorn video.
Somehow I have the impression that it is not a type of clipping I can make with a drive block?

Jens

Great! I am going to check it tomorrow :)

Is there a way to get a foldback distortion sound? I have to check out what that actually is, but it sounds pretty crazy in the Peter Thorn video.
Somehow I have the impression that it is not a type of clipping I can make with a drive block?

Jens

that's my guess as well.
I did measure a few good foldback settings, tho and will see how they translate to what the Axe has to offer.
Might not be a perfect match, but the results should be entertaining (if you're into that sort of thing). :D

that's my guess as well.
I did measure a few good foldback settings, tho and will see how they translate to what the Axe has to offer.
Might not be a perfect match, but the results should be entertaining (if you're into that sort of thing). :D

Don't worry, I am pretty sick (when I am not making money with mainstream jazz that is.... :) )

I found this picture description of what foldback distortion is for who ever is interested.

In the picture: 3 waveforms: normal, clipped,foldback distorted.

As I understand it, The idea is that the clipping is mirrored down so if the clipping is 3 db above it wont flatten out but be lowered 3 db I guess.

That's probably what generates all the nice weird extra tones and sounds that you get...

Jens

Attachments

• foldback distortion.jpg
    foldback distortion.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 7
Don't worry, I am pretty sick (when I am not making money with mainstream jazz that is.... :) )

I found this picture description of what foldback distortion is for who ever is interested.

In the picture: 3 waveforms: normal, clipped,foldback distorted.

As I understand it, The idea is that the clipping is mirrored down so if the clipping is 3 db above it wont flatten out but be lowered 3 db I guess.

That's probably what generates all the nice weird extra tones and sounds that you get...

Jens

the MWD can get even 'worse' and fold back the already folded peaks yet again. :)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.sourceaudio.net/whitepapers/multiwave_distortion.pdf

Thanks! Always nice to learn something new.

I was just making a mental note to use a crossover to make a 2 band distortion yesterday evening :)
The description in your pdf was more or less exactly what I had in mind.

Jens

thanks very much Don.. this is a really cool fuzz, one of my favorites from all your contributions.

Back
Top Bottom