Multiplexer tip: single pedal for Wah and Whammy

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Several solutions exist to alternate a single expression pedal between "Wah" and Whammy" tasks in a preset, "Wah" and "Volume", etc., involving multiple Volume blocks, or a Mixer block, or the necessity to use scenes .

Well, the III brings a new solution and not that difficult: the Multiplexer block.

1. Add a Wah block to the regular chain (i.e. row 1), in series.

2. In the Wah block, attach an "External Controller" (connected to the pedal) or "Pedal" as modifier source to the "Wah Control" parameter and select an Auto-Engage mode. Set Bypass Mode to Thru.

3. Split the routing before the Wah to a parallel row (row 2), and merge the rows again after the Wah.

4. Add a Pitch block to the parallel row (row 2), below the Wah block.

5. In the Pitch block, select "Classic Whammy", set Mix to 100% and other parameters to your liking. Attach an "External Controller" (same one) or "Pedal" to the "Whammy Control" parameter and select an Auto-Engage mode. Set Bypass Mode to Thru.

6. Add the Multiplexer block to the routing after Wah/Whammy. Bypass Mode is Thru. Engage the block.

7. Add a different External Controller as modifier source to the "Input Select" parameter. In the Modify menu set Min to row 1, and Max to Row 2.

8. Assign the External Controller's MIDI CC to a switch on your MIDI controller.
Now, your pedal will act as a Wah in normal use. Rocking the pedal will also engage the Pitch block, but you won't hear it because of the Multiplexer's default setting (passing row 1 only). When pressing the assigned switch on your MIDI controller, the Multiplexer will switch to row 2, and the pedal will now act as a Whammy (no Wah).

Note: instead of using an ext. controller you can switch the MUX between channels.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more traction. If I understand the Multiplexer correctly, this is the answer to gapless, crossfaded amp changes.

Sounds interesting. If you crossfade between two amps and had a way to trigger channel switching on the silent amp for when you come back to it. It could open up a lot of possibilities. hmmmm?

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more traction. If I understand the Multiplexer correctly, this is the answer to gapless, crossfaded amp changes.
If you are okay with how quickly it makes the switch then, yes, it's your answer. If you want to control the rate at which the cross-fade occurs, it's not the answer you're looking for.

Note, as well, that while it changes quickly, it's still not a step function. You don't want step functions in your audio signal processing anyways...

I'll add: you can actually use this to switch between up to 4 block in parallel that are all wired to the same external controller. Each of the four channels on the MUX block and select a different row for input.

Yes, if just changing the channels on the MUX for the row you want, it's instant. If changing the channel via scenes, there is a minor noise (maybe not the best term). The cool thing is, within the Axe-Fx, you can go in and assign which MIDI CC or FC etc... you want to use to change channels for each block type and instance. So in this case, you could set Multiplexer 1 to be MIDI CC 100. Then send CC100 and 0 for Channel A. And CC100 and 1 for Channel B, 2 for C, 3 for D. And use that to switch back and forth with out having to use up a scene to change it for you.

My assumption is that the FC's will greatly make use of the channels without having to use up scenes to do everything you want. For a quick test I setup a MIDI lane in Logic yesterday and was cycling through multiple delay blocks at the same time using channels and no scene changes. Pretty cool stuff.

Sorry, no audio, just a screen shot showing how I set it up for a quick test.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 4.09.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 4.09.44 PM.png

Ok, didn't realize how easy it is to do screen captures with Quicktime and it can use the audio directly from Axe-FX :)

Here is a quick video showing the gapless switching by using the Channels on the Multiplexer.

And sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread!

Cool!! I have a preset that this will really come in handy with. I had to send my III back to Fractal & the new one was just shipped today so I couldn't check this out myself. Thanks Chad!

Ok, didn't realize how easy it is to do screen captures with Quicktime and it can use the audio directly from Axe-FX :)

Here is a quick video showing the gapless switching by using the Channels on the Multiplexer.

That's awesome.

curious - how is this different than muting/unmuting the amp blocks like we have before? just that we don't have to use Scenes to do that and/or we can assign switches to change MUX channels specifically?

just trying to differentiate this feature from previous ways.

curious - how is this different than muting/unmuting the amp blocks like we have before? just that we don't have to use Scenes to do that and/or we can assign switches to change MUX channels specifically?

could be used on things that aren't the same block? e.g. an amp block in parallel with a real amp in a loop. I know one could still mute and unmute with scenes, but maybe the multiplexer is simpler to keep track of?

Sometimes scene independence is just what you need.

Good lord the thread is over my head lol. I hope someone does a video on how to do this someday haha. Unfortunately I haven to be shown to learn most of the time. I guess thats why I never went to college:confused:

We seriously have some of the smartest human beings on the planet on this forum. I appreciate all I have learned over the years from you all!!!!!!!!!!

I think Chris is correct about this: The Multiplexer doesn't give you anything you don't already have by simply controlling the output of your two parallel Amp/Cab paths.

With an Axe FX II, if I want to blend Amp1=>Cab1 against Amp2=>Cab2, it's easy: I can set the output levels of the two cabs to be controlled by some incoming External Expression connected to a CC#, with one of them mapping 0 to 0% and 127 to 100%, and the other mapping 0 to 100% and 127 to 0%.

Then I set the damping time on each to 500ms, and...presto! When I toggle the footswitch, one Amp+Cab signal fades in for 500ms while the other fades out over the same time.

It actually isn't QUITE that easy, because you need to set the expression curve correctly: (A linear fade will not keep the volume consistent throughout.) But you can tweak the curves as the last step, once everything else is working fine.

The point is: Without the Multiplexer, you can get a smooth crossfade between tones.

BUT...!

You sacrifice the use of Channels.

In the above scenario, you're basically just using Amp1 as your Preset's "Channel A" and Amp2 as your Preset's "Channel B." But it only works if you don't actually try to change channels in the Amp Blocks themselves. (If you do, the changes will be as abrupt and gappy as ever; there won't be any smooth crossfade effect.)

So, you only get 2 channels, effectively.

If you want 4 channels worth of crossfading (and you don't want to buy 2 Axe FX units), there is currently no way to do it.

(That's why I created THIS wish item: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/crossfading-channel-changes-in-a-block.136473/ )

If you want 4 channels worth of crossfading (and you don't want to buy 2 Axe FX units), there is currently no way to do it.

(That's why I created THIS wish item: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/crossfading-channel-changes-in-a-block.136473/ )
As long as you only change the channel on the AMP block that’s not currently active you can fade between 4x4 distinct AMP models on the III. For example:

You have to AMP blocks setup with a expression pedal to cross fade between them. You have two foot switches. Ond increments the channel on AMP 1, the other increments the channel on AMP 2.

Start on AMP 1. Fade to AMP 2. Increment channel on AMP 1. Fade to AMP 1. Increment channel on AMP 2. Fade to AMP 2. And so on.

During daylight hours I might be inclined to work out all the cross fade combinations. It’s quite a few because you don’t have to fade to non-active AMP’s next sequential channel. You can change the non-active AMP block to any channel of the four really.

Edit: Sun is shining. The number of distinct pairings you can crossfade between is 16.

Reactions: Rex
I think the ability to have several different effects mapped to your exp pedal is really a great idea. Then for each scene you can choose what it controls. Brilliant, thx Yek!

Yes, the MUX is an extremely yet simple tool, once you learn how to use it through a modifier and channels.

I will admit I probably jumped the gun based on this comment and wanted to test it out real quick :)
"I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more traction. If I understand the Multiplexer correctly, this is the answer to gapless, crossfaded amp changes."

I have not done anything with the muting/unmuting of amp blocks on the II before to do something similar. So it's probably no different in that regards.

I will admit I probably jumped the gun based on this comment and wanted to test it out real quick :)
"I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more traction. If I understand the Multiplexer correctly, this is the answer to gapless, crossfaded amp changes."

I have not done anything with the muting/unmuting of amp blocks on the II before to do something similar. So it's probably no different in that regards.

I was hopefully optimistic that the multiplexer would be a better/easier way to crossfade between amps. My Axe III is on the way back from Fractal so I can't test it myself so my post was more of a question (maybe not worded well) rather than a statement.

Back
Top Bottom