Multiplexer tip: single pedal for Wah and Whammy

iarsee:

As long as you only change the channel on the AMP block that’s not currently active you can fade between 4x4 distinct AMP models on the III.
Yep, to be sure. That's true.

But remember: The whole idea of Scenes -- and, really, the idea of Presets altogether -- is to save us from doing a lot of tap-dancing. We don't like being distracted from what we're playing.

Now the rule "always do your channel changes in the amp that's currently turned down, and then crossfade to it, after the new channel is ready" sounds simple.

It sounds simple. But it isn't. Putting it into practice, live, can get really complicated.

Consider:

STEP 1: I need to remember which Amp I'm currently using...hmm, oh, yeah, I'm currently playing through Amp 2 on a crunch rhythm sound, and Amp 1 is currently on a clean rhythm sound, but what I really want to do is change to the distorted lead sound which I've stored on Channel C of Amp 2...lemme see here, how do I make that happen...?

STEP 2: Press the button to change Amp 1 to a crunch rhythm sound that's the same as the one I'm currently hearing through Amp 2

STEP 3: Press the button to crossfade to Amp 1, which will produce no detectable change since they're on the same sound

STEP 4: Press the button to change to the correct channel (Channel C) on Amp 2

STEP 5: Press the button to crossfade back to Amp 2 so that I can hear my new channel

Now, in my regular gig, I often play complex parts. Sometimes with a loop to fill in secondary parts. Oh, and I sing backing vocals, too.

I really, really, REALLY do not want to go through all that multi-step process in order to change from one sound to another. I just can't think about so many things at the same time! (I guarantee that either my vocal timing would fall apart, or my fingers would forget what they were supposed to be doing.)

That's where my WISH item asking for "Crossfading Channel-Changes" comes from:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/crossfading-channel-changes-in-a-block.136473/

Basically, that wish (if implemented) would automate that complex process into a firmware feature that's tied to the channel-switching itself.

That's important, because Channels, in turn, are parts of Scenes.

By having Crossfading Channel Changes, you automatically get the option of Crossfading Scenes; and that means you really can have totally seamless transitions between different tones, by pushing a single button once, and without having to think about it too much.

(As Chris, Yek, and others have correctly noted, there is downside: For every block whose channels you opt to make "crossfading," the firmware would basically be harnessing 2 identical blocks' worth of CPU and processing. So that'll reduce the number of blocks you can place on the grid before running out of CPU. But, the Axe III has so much processing power, that even if you turned on crossfading for Amp1 and Drive 1, I bet there's enough CPU to still include a couple of other non-crossfading blocks in the same Preset.)

Last edited:
Thought I would give the original intention of this post a try. Hopefully I captured Yek's idea correctly. In this case, I have Volume, Wah, and Whammy all set to use one external pedal. Then flipping through the channels of the Multiplexer to switch the input. Just some random noodling and rocking the pedal around.

Thought I would give the original intention of this post a try. Hopefully I captured Yek's idea correctly. In this case, I have Volume, Wah, and Whammy all set to use one external pedal. Then flipping through the channels of the Multiplexer to switch the input. Just some random noodling and rocking the pedal around.

Great thread resurrected... The video shows how well this can work. However, using this same setup, how would you deal with two amps further down the line? they'd have to be on rows different from the wah etc..? or is this where the multiplexers channels come in?

Great thread resurrected... The video shows how well this can work. However, using this same setup, how would you deal with two amps further down the line? they'd have to be on rows different from the wah etc..? or is this where the multiplexers channels come in?
It doesn’t matter what you have further down the line: two amps, a wah, three delays...

Funny I read this now! I had the same problem a few days ago. I put the Wah/whammy in parallel but with the control switch inverted the bypass mode.

Src1 - Src2 on one and
Src1 x Src2 on the other

Will have to try this way too

So if I have 2 amps on rows 2 and 4 that I'm using the multiplexer on and then have yeks stuff on those same rows they will not be affected?
The Multiplexer only switches between signals connected to its input. Two amps further down the signal chain aren't going to be connected to the Multiplexer's input. ;)

Gotcha... Thats not what Im asking. So we have the wah, pitch and volume " before the multiplexer" in rows 1-3. We then have amps "before the multiplexer" on 1 and 3. The multiplexer is going to affect the rows and everything in them.

So I think the answer is multiplexer #2 :)

Gotcha... Thats not what Im asking. So we have the wah, pitch and volume " before the multiplexer" in rows 1-3. We then have amps "before the multiplexer" on 1 and 3. The multiplexer is going to affect the rows and everything in them.

So I think the answer is multiplexer #2 :)
Show us a screen shot of the layout. I can’t tell what you’re trying to describe. Yesterday, you had two amps “further down the line” from the multiplexer. Today, they’re “before the multiplexer.” And it’s not clear what’s connected to what.

Back
Top Bottom