Closed Multiple Signal Chain Instances of a Single Block per Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjh

Use case: I'd like to have a single preset in which I can switch the reverb from a Hall at the end of a chain to a Spring before the amp.

I'm totally fine with the Reverb block limitations and only having 4 total channels of reverb available with only 1 active at a time. I'd just like to be able to have it in either position in the signal chain. I can imagine the implementation being tied to a parameter of the block that we manipulate with a controller, or baking the instance/position into the channel definition.

A preset determines the signal routing. You cannot alter the routing without switching presets.

A preset determines the signal routing. You cannot alter the routing without switching presets.

Agreed, the routing would still be fixed in the preset. I understand it may be impossible from an implementation perspective, which is fine - its just a wish. How I was imagining it from the user perspective is you would place two different boxes for the same block in the layout, and only one box would be active in any given scene depending on the active channel for that scene.

For example, I see a problem when the reverb tail is too long and will be shifted - ehat is the expected behavior?

Maybe you can achieve something like that with a mixer and feedback block. I will give it a try when I am home and post a preset.

For example, I see a problem when the reverb tail is too long and will be shifted - ehat is the expected behavior?
Yes that is a good point, I don't know that tails could be supported or would make sense to use. I wouldn't want a tail from a large hall moving up in front of the amp I don't think.

Maybe you can achieve something like that with a mixer and feedback block. I will give it a try when I am home and post a preset.

That is a really good idea to explore, thanks! I couldn't find a "Feedback block", did you mean the Send/Return? It seems like the two Send/Return and Multiplexor blocks get me tantalizingly close; maybe I'd need a mixer as well since there is only one Multiplexor block.

That is a really good idea to explore, thanks! I couldn't find a "Feedback block", did you mean the Send/Return? It seems like the two Send/Return and Multiplexor blocks get me tantalizingly close; maybe I'd need a mixer as well since there is only one Multiplexor block.
Yep, the Send/Returns. In the block manual, they call them "Feedback Send"/"Feedback Return", basically because you can create cool feedback loops. They are usable for other tasks, e.g. giving you the oppertunity to use additional rows for blocks, or maybe changing the layout virtually.

You got me, I am eager to test it :)

So, made two presets (attached), showing different ways to achieve this. But to be honest, the signal flow is quite complicated, and there are some other issues when you engage the feedback loops, that I don't actually think it is worth it.

Attachments

• Reverb Switch 1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Reverb Switch 2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
So, made two presets (attached), showing different ways to achieve this. But to be honest, the signal flow is quite complicated, and there are some other issues when you engage the feedback loops, that I don't actually think it is worth it.
Thanks for trying this out and posting the presets. This taught me a lot about more advanced routing available in FM3 but I agree its pretty complicated for this use case. I realized after seeing Leon's latest presets and video that I can get pretty usable reverbs out of the Plex and Multi delay blocks. Not exactly a hall, but fine for my purposes. That free's the reverb block to be a spring up front.

And, if you really need two "real" reverb blocks, there is the Axe Fx III :D
No, I think you can go quite a long way with Multi Delay and Plex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom