Multiple Presets For Multiple Guitars?? Yes or No?

I have separate presets customized for my Strat and Les Paul, but I also use the scheme described in this post (similar to AB's boost approach) so that the Strat will work 'good enough' with the Les Paul presets, and vice versa. I have both the Strat and LP continuously connected to the Axe (through Input 1 and 2 respectively). If a set involves (for example) mostly Les Paul use except for a song or two with the Strat, I can therefore choose to just play through with the LP and avoid a guitar change (and vice versa).

Not trying to get off topic but which pickups are you Strat guys using most of the time? I know Trower doesn’t use his bridge and he has killer tone.

Not trying to get off topic but which pickups are you Strat guys using most of the time?
Mine is a recent American Pro HSS with V-Mods and a 'Shawbucker'. Though the humbucker is a compromise from a pure Strat sound, for what I play it makes the guitar more versatile and adaptive to sharing presets with the Les Paul in a pinch.

When I adapt a preset that was built around one kind of pickup (e.g. PAF, Tone Zone, Bluesbucker, etc) for another (e.g. Injector neck (in the bridge), Area 61, Area 67), I just tweak the Input Trim on the amp. That's it. After that, I want the guitar to come thru.

I don't know how accurate it is but Dimarzio publishes the output voltage of their pickups so I just do the math and increase Input Trim so the amp is seeing the same basic voltage coming in, albeit in a completely different tonal spectrum. I just don't want to have to struggle too much to "drive" the amp with my hands, that's all.

When I adapt a preset that was built around one kind of pickup (e.g. PAF, Tone Zone, Bluesbucker, etc) for another (e.g. Injector neck (in the bridge), Area 61, Area 67), I just tweak the Input Trim on the amp. That's it. After that, I want the guitar to come thru.

I don't know how accurate it is but Dimarzio publishes the output voltage of their pickups so I just do the math and increase Input Trim so the amp is seeing the same basic voltage coming in, albeit in a completely different tonal spectrum. I just don't want to have to struggle too much to "drive" the amp with my hands, that's all.

Cool! That's essentially what I have been doing so far. Only playing with the input
trim to try and match what different guitars do to the front end. More for lower
ouput and less for higher output.

Is anyone out there in Fractal-land using multiple presets that are essentially the same, albeit with some
tweaks, to accommodate the different tonal characteristics of different guitars? I am feeling like this is going
to become a necessity for me over time. My PRS 245 tuned to drop C# simply doesn't sound the same as
my Charvel DK24 tuned to standard on the same presets. Sure I can make them work, and have. Just wondering
if guitar-centric presetting is a thing others are doing---or do you just do a quick Amp Block tweak of the BMT
to accomodate a guitar swap in the moment?
@2112 (G66) just posted a video that might help you mitigate this issue:

Back
Top Bottom