multiple mics on cab

PRS Guy

Inspired
Does the AX8 allow multiple mics on a cab? So for example, can I have a SM57 and a ribbon mic and blend or does it work completely differently then that?

Or are they impulses only and you get what you get other than EQ capability etc...BTW I have never used an impulse to know the benefits...

any info appreciated...

Last edited:
You would want to premix the IR for that. Thankfully it has a sh*tload of slots. Almost all my AFII user IRs are mixes (either multiple cabs+mics or single cab multiple mics).

Meaning premix the IR when making the impulse prior to loading it? Also, I assume the AX8 is all IRs for the cabs as well...I am just trying to understand what kind of flexibility the IRs / AX8 supply.

So if I don't have the means to mix an IR I buy what I want as pre-made IRs and go from there? Or am I overthinking it and the IRs in the AX8 are great so I should just not worry about it...I guess I don't understand what flexibility I have with a given IR.

When you buy Fractal cab packs or IR's from other vendors such as Ownhammer you generally get a number of individual mic IR's along with some pre-mixed IR's. Cab Lab was created to mix the individual mic IR's. You have 8 slots available in Cab Lab. Load each one with an IR made with a different mic and mix away! You can then save that "receipe" and pull it up later or create a new IR that sums up your mix. That new IR can be loaded into your AX8.

Terry.

Ah I see...I was unaware of cab lab....makes perfect sense now...thanks!

Cab Lab is an incredibly useful tool for making your own mic blends and loading in 3rd party IRs to your unit.

What kind of cabinet/speaker are you looking for, and what kind of music do you play?

@justinYork Thanks for the response. I am one of those guys that likes to play around with different combinations of things until I get a tone I like...so I don't have specific cabs or mics in mind. As far as music, although I have rock roots I play in a dance cover band that plays all over New England in the US. So variety does have some importance to me...I need sparkling cleans and also some pretty beefy distortions. I currently gig regularly with a Line 6 HD500. I did have to do quite a bit of tweaking but it sounds good...I am really hoping for a dramatic shift in quality with the AX8.

I can tell you I like tight amp distortion...not the treble, sizzle stuff...but of course only my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom