Multiple functions from one footswitch

gdgross

Experienced
In hot anticipation of my invite email, I've been perusing the manual...

I noted that there are a few functions that each footswitch can be programmed to perform: effect on/off, looper on/off, scene 1-8 etc. My question is, can you program a single footwitch to toggle the x/y state on multiple blocks simultaneously? I do this in my Axe-Fx II by setting those effects to use the same MIDI CC for x/y toggle, and have a single footswitch on my midi controller which takes care of that function.

Is a similar scenario possible in the ax8? Specifically, I'd like to switch the amp x/y (which appears to be a dedicated footswitch function according to the manual), as well as the cab x/y and reverb x/y all at the same time with a single footswitch.

Thanks!

Use a scene. You can assign each footswitch to serve a different function in each preset. In the particular preset you want, just assign that scene switch to turn on/off and switch the X/Y states as you see fit.

Use a different preset when you don't need this function anymore.

Use a scene. You can assign each footswitch to serve a different function in each preset. In the particular preset you want, just assign that scene switch to turn on/off and switch the X/Y states as you see fit.

Use a different preset when you don't need this function anymore.

Thanks, I realize I could use a scene, but in my axe-II I've got the 8 scenes configured for specific setups. Not that I need all 8, but it seems easier to just add to the amp x/y toggle feature rather than make a scene just for this. To my poor brain, at least... I'd like to just have a switch that is sort of like the channel footswitch on an amp, plus a little bit (that's why I mentioned the reverb and the cab). I could certainly live with amp x/y only, but adding the ability to change a couple more x/y states at the same time would be a little cooler :)

This is one of the footswitches/functions that I'd like to make global, rather than on a per-preset basis. I always like having the two channel amp thing at my fingertips (toe-tips?).

there is an Amp XY Footswitch Block, and you can set that as a Global switch if you want.

but it cannot be linked to do other features at the same time.

You can use Assign the Function switches for Scene 1/2 Toggle and leave the remaining 8 Regular footswitches for Scenes 1-8.

Scene 1/2 Would be redundant to the function switch (Assigned to Scene toggle) but that could solve your issue. Make F3, basically your "channel switch footswitch" And scenes 1-8 Toggle through your scenes.

Other than that, X/Y amp is your answer and then you have 7 footswitches to work with your scenes or effects. You have the ability in the AX8 to use global footswitches or PER PRESET footswitches. So a new preset could have a whole different layout at your discretion.

Than
You can use Assign the Function switches for Scene 1/2 Toggle and leave the remaining 8 Regular footswitches for Scenes 1-8.

Scene 1/2 Would be redundant to the function switch (Assigned to Scene toggle) but that could solve your issue. Make F3, basically your "channel switch footswitch" And scenes 1-8 Toggle through your scenes.

Thanks, that's a reasonable idea as long as I get used to the idea that s1/s2 are dedicated only to my pseudo channel footswitch function and would not control any other effects, I'd have to use the other scenes for that.

I could see this getting a little hairy if I, for example, select scene 2 (let's say this is the lead channel), then select another scene which has some crazy effects. Then I decide i want to keep the crazy effects all on, but go back to the low gain channel (scene 1). I suppose the scene persist would take care of this, right? But then what if I decide I want to switch back to the scene 1 with the crazy effects off??

The right course of action is probably to just shut the hell up, be patient and figure this out when i actually get an ax8... I'd probably be better served by practicing that worrying about the minutiae of how to control my effects anyway :)

Dont forget that within scenes you can't adjust the gain on an amp, just if the amp\effect is on or off and the master volume. You may need to switch presets or use the drives to bring in and out the gain.

Dont forget that within scenes you can't adjust the gain on an amp, just if the amp\effect is on or off and the master volume. You may need to switch presets or use the drives to bring in and out the gain.

The two Scene controllers allow you to adjust the amp gain per scene.

Back
Top Bottom