Multiple Block Puzzle - can this be done?

gdgross

Experienced
Hi all, I'm planning out a (second) FM3 pedalboard, and starting to think about some preset changes. I will be using a new MX-5 5 button midi controller from voes, instead of the morningstar MC-3 I have had thus far. (which will be for sale soon if anyone is interested!)

Here's the puzzle I'd like to solve: In a single preset, I would like to have multiple "modulation" blocks, but only engage one at a time. I suppose they could be in series or parallel, and their bypass modes set accordingly. I'd like a short stomp of a button to bypass or engage the "modulation" block, and a long stomp to cycle through which "modulation" block is active. (ie - chorus, trem, rotary, phaser, etc)

I'll have the five voes buttons, which have long and short press commands each, and can send 4 separate messages per press, and I'll have one external button straight into the FM3 (after accounting for my volume pedal and exp pedal toe switch. I do not believe the voes have step through commands, fwiw.)

Is this possible?

(I know I can use scenes to turn multiple blocks on and off, but I'm used to having fine control over all the blocks like in the AX8; there are probably more sound combinations I might use than would be available in a 8 scenes, especially with the 4 channel blocks now.)

The way you are describing it, I don’t think it’s possible I could be wrong. But once you put the in the grid they are all active, I imagine you could set a switch to on short press turn on chorus, long press turn on flanger but I think that’s the extent.

Depending what the Voes can do with channels, you might be able to use a Multiplexer block with the various effects setup in rows (serial) with each row set to a different Multiplexer channel, then use the Voes to select, A/B, or +1 the channel.

Last edited:
Depending what the Voes can do with channels, you might be able to use a Multiplexer block with the various effects setup in rows (serial) with each row set to a different Multiplexer channel, then use the Voes to select, A/B, or +1 the channel.
Excellent idea! will have to play around with that :)

I do something like this on an Ax3 and a Liquid Foot controller; in some ways even more complex as I'm using it for both pre and post amp modulation effects. Some adjustments may be required to work on the FM3 and Voes.

Basic idea: one short press button activates all of the modulations at the same time, setup parallel, running into a multplexer. Long press open up a different page of buttons which allows me to use buttons to select which channel of the multiplexer is active (selecting the specific modulation effect) and also other buttons to select the channel for each of the modulation effects. All of the blocks are set for thru bypass.

More advanced (requiring more than 4 messages per button press): both multiplexers are setup before and after the amp, with one row in each saved as a shunt. On the modulation selection page, one post amp modulation selection also triggers the pre-multiplexer to select the shunt channel, and vice versa.

I do something like this on an Ax3 and a Liquid Foot controller; in some ways even more complex as I'm using it for both pre and post amp modulation effects. Some adjustments may be required to work on the FM3 and Voes.

Basic idea: one short press button activates all of the modulations at the same time, setup parallel, running into a multplexer. Long press open up a different page of buttons which allows me to use buttons to select which channel of the multiplexer is active (selecting the specific modulation effect) and also other buttons to select the channel for each of the modulation effects. All of the blocks are set for thru bypass.

More advanced (requiring more than 4 messages per button press): both multiplexers are setup before and after the amp, with one row in each saved as a shunt. On the modulation selection page, one post amp modulation selection also triggers the pre-multiplexer to select the shunt channel, and vice versa.
kinda like manny's idea -

I could set all my "modulation" blocks to the same CC, and bypass them all together with the short press, then use the long press to select multiplexer channels. Have never used a multiplexer block before, but if it works like real world electrical multiplexers, this ought to work swimmingly!

kinda like manny's idea -

I could set all my "modulation" blocks to the same CC, and bypass them all together with the short press, then use the long press to select multiplexer channels. Have never used a multiplexer block before, but if it works like real world electrical multiplexers, this ought to work swimmingly!
No need to bypass them... Just have one row into the Multiplexer be a shunt. Select that row for "bypass".

That would be parallel, not serial... ;)

No need to bypass them... Just have one row into the Multiplexer be a shunt. Select that row for "bypass".
The only issue I see with that on the FM3 is there are only 4 rows in the grid (and 4 channels on the MUX, IIRC) so it'll limit you to 3 effect rows vs. 4 if you could bypass all (or at least the selected one).

The only issue I see with that on the FM3 is there are only 4 rows in the grid (and 4 channels on the MUX, IIRC) so it'll limit you to 3 effect rows vs. 4 if you could bypass all (or at least the selected on).
Ahh... As an Axe Fx III user I forgot that key difference exists!

Back
Top Bottom