Implemented Multiband distortion/ saturator

I haven't seen anything like this asked for but here's a shot in the dark anyway, i'm curious if it'd be possible to do something similar to fabfilters saturn inside the magic black box.
It'd have the layout of the multi band comp but with drive types ranging from fuzz to tape and using any inside the axe already using 3 to maybe 5 crossover points, I could see this being extremely cool for bass players to get studio type tones without the need for using multiple amp blocks or lines, if each band also had mix parameters the tonal options would be endless!
I could also see this being cool for people blending amps already or to achieve mix ready tones ready to be reamped on the fly, is this something any other people would be interested in seeing added?

Cool idea. But if I'm reading this correctly, we're talking about running four to six Drive blocks simultaneously. Correct?

The idea would essentially take the drive and preamp types available as well their capabilities and make them available in a single block so you could use it to create unique drive types and run them into a multiband comp and or 1 amp to have complete control over the distortion/drive or fuzz of a frequency range then have an amp block using a clean styled amp and possibly simplify signal chains like in instance of a bass chain I could use this kind of block to make a sub/clean/grit chain coming from one block versus setting it up into 3 parallel chains. You could also apply that type of thinking or routing to a guitar chain and have endless possibilities. You could also use this kind of block to make some really cool auxs for drums or vocals inside a daw, especially with the reverb and delay options available.
Cool idea. But if I'm reading this correctly, we're talking about running four to six Drive blocks simultaneously. Correct?

I recently bought Saturn 2 and it had me thinking how cool it'd be to see something comparable using fractal modeling and algorithms! I'm more than happy with what we have, just something that others and myself might find incredibly useful if its possible and not too much of a hassle for the FAS team to implement

The idea would essentially take the drive and preamp types available as well their capabilities and make them available in a single block so you could use it to create unique drive types and run them into a multiband comp and or 1 amp to have complete control over the distortion/drive or fuzz of a frequency range then have an amp block using a clean styled amp and possibly simplify signal chains like in instance of a bass chain I could use this kind of block to make a sub/clean/grit chain coming from one block versus setting it up into 3 parallel chains. You could also apply that type of thinking or routing to a guitar chain and have endless possibilities. You could also use this kind of block to make some really cool auxs for drums or vocals inside a daw, especially with the reverb and delay options available.
Okay, I think we're both on the same page. If you break your signal into six frequency bands and apply different drives or preamps to each band, you'd have to run the equivalent of six drive or preamp blocks simultaneously.

Okay, I think we're both on the same page. If you break your signal into six frequency bands and apply different drives or preamps to each band, you'd have to run the equivalent of six drive or preamp blocks simultaneously.
It depends of what kind of algo. There are lot's of useful function that can be use (foldback, clipping, ...) and have insignificant CPU usage compared to fractal capabilities.
I think there is two different approach: one is to emulate a real counterpart (a drive pedal, a chamber reverb, a cabinet...), the other is to give some tools to create musical tone (a IR of a cab, a digital reverb, the delay block, the previous drive block...). I think multiband distortion as a creative tool, does not need a complex emulation of a real drive. Just some nasty or subtle distortion.

Saturn is one of my favourite plugins ever. A block that could do all that in the Axe would be WILD.
I just got saturn 2, and its definitely gonna find its way into everything! I had that exact same thought after diving into it, so i figured it'd make a good wish list item if its even possible! I love your videos bro, thank you for all the tips and tricks you've shared, as well as gracing my thread!

Saturn is one of my favourite plugins ever. A block that could do all that in the Axe would be WILD.

I just got saturn 2, and its definitely gonna find its way into everything! I had that exact same thought after diving into it, so i figured it'd make a good wish list item if its even possible! I love your videos bro, thank you for all the tips and tricks you've shared, as well as gracing my thread!

Its not Saturn tho right? You dont separate frequencies?

Haven't tried the new block yet?

Something like the Source Audio Ultra Wave you mean? Seems like a great pedal. Do you think the Axe fx can do this?

Last edited:
I've played around with 2 dynamic distortion blocks in parallel and got some interesting results. If we had 5 or so selectable frequency bands in each block, each with its own filter, drive, q etc... that we have now. Seems it could be a super powerful tone sculpting tool.

+1 been using the dynamic distortion block since it was introduced.
but seeing what the saturn 2 can do is just great. would be super nice to have fractals version of that on the axe .

Last edited:
Don Petersen (now with Kemper) tried such a preset in the late Ultra days. It was inspired on some pedal, AFAIK.

Multiband Clean Tone [Ultra]

I meant to build a Multibanddistortion patch and ended up with a nice clean tone.
A little Scofield-ish, if I may say so.

HiBand - Comp - Tape Drive - Chorus - Reverb
MidBand - Vibroverb - 2x12 Tweed - Rotary
LoBand - SVT - 4x10 Hartke

MB.jpg

it's the dynamic distortion block. i have to admit, i've totally slept on this block.

set flat, with the different clip types selected, here's what it does to a 1000hz sin wave....

hard
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 20.32.36.png
med hard
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 20.32.49.png
med soft
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 20.33.04.png
medium
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 20.33.16.png
soft
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 20.33.33.png

i'm going to try using it in conjunction with the filter, as well as trying out the dynamic side of it tomorrow. i can't believe i basically just forgot it was in there!

Back
Top Bottom