Multiband Compressor - tightening the low end in high gain rhythm gtrs

I'd like to experiment with the multiband compressor in an attempt to tighten up the low end aspect of my tone for consistency throughout. I can address it later with the Waves C4 but feel like it might be better to go ahead and address it in the Axe to reduce the need for later processing. Any suggesting settings for a starting point for high gain ryhthm guitar tone (tuned to 7 string standard)?

And where is the multiband comp usually placed in the signal chain? I was going to place it after the cab block but before the final PEQ as much of the low end is being derived from the IR (ownhammer mesa v2).

I like using the MBC on some of my high gain presets, especially if I'm going for a modern metal sound.

Usually, I'll set the frequencies to 250hz and 1500hz. Then I'll play with the levels. If I feel there's too much overall effect I'll drop all 3 levels by the same increment. If you lower (or increase) levels by different increments you'll end up with a big change in tone. For example, if C1 and C3 are both at 6db and C2 is at 2db, your tone will sound more "scooped". Could be useful in certain situations but I usually have all 3 levels set to the same amount.

The tutorial on the Wiki is great. I suggest you read it and then just spend some time playing with the parameters in the MBC to see what effect they have.

That would be cool if someone posted a good MBC block for their high gain tone along with an explanation of what's going on in the block. All I managed to do with MBCs is suck the life out of my tone or make it sound wonky.

I usually set the bottom frequency at around 120hz or so, leave the ratio at 2 or so, lower the threshold until I see the bar moving when I palm mute, and fine tune until it sounds right. Then I set the ratios for the middle and high bands to 1 so they are in effect bypassed. There's just not much to be gained by compressing any other range. The resulting sound is about the same, but with a tighter low end.

I usually set the bottom frequency at around 120hz or so, leave the ratio at 2 or so, lower the threshold until I see the bar moving when I palm mute, and fine tune until it sounds right. Then I set the ratios for the middle and high bands to 1 so they are in effect bypassed. There's just not much to be gained by compressing any other range. The resulting sound is about the same, but with a tighter low end.

Similar to the Andy Sneap C4 setup. Nice.

So if I scoop the mids in a tone,this will help tame that overwhelming speaker rattling bass (at high volumes) thats left over?
Sure I could back the bass down but that generally kills the tone,
Gotta give this a try thanx

So if I scoop the mids in a tone,this will help tame that overwhelming speaker rattling bass (at high volumes) thats left over?
Sure I could back the bass down but that generally kills the tone,
Gotta give this a try thanx

No. A mid scooped tone will do nothing about the bass.

An MBC set to only compress the lows and not touch the mids or highs will tighten up the lows.

There is no PERFECT setting. This is a compressor and works like a compressor. Everything will depend on your playing, your guitar and pickups, and the sound you are going for.
IMO this is easier to do with blocking/cutting the low frequencies before or at the amp, but if you have to use it, use Tom's settings as a starting point and see if it works for you.
GL.

I posted this before, but I use the Multicomp on most of my hi gain settings and I put the all the band's threshold at 0 and the levels and I use low end band and set it at 120 to 160 Hz attack high/ medium which is around 9 o'clock, release at half and with the threshold you turn it until you see the meter actually moving(reduction) slightly. Then increase the level until you get the desire amount of low end.
You'll need to use your ears to make sure that the attack and release are set properly because it could sound unnatural.
The idea is to keep the low end consistent and right. For me it works better than using an eq, so I actually use the Multicomp as a dynamic eq.

Back
Top Bottom