" Multiband Compressor " need help with 2 specific settings please .....

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi Multiband Compression Guru's :)

I want to set up my Multiband Compressor to do the following:-

(a) High Compression applied to compress only everything over 4.5k with a -3db cut <= I know how to do this

(b) No Compression of any kind on the Mid Frequencies <= not quite sure what settings to use for this (?)

(c)
Low Compression applied to compress only everything below 160hz with a -3db cut <= not quiite sure what settings to use for this (?)

Can one of the Axe guru's :) please advise what specific settings I need to use to achieve both (b) and (c) above ?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

The amount of compression is controlled by the Ratio and Threshold parameters.

The Ratio parameter is the ratio of input to output level above the threshold for the compressor. The value is the first number of that ratio relative to 1, so a setting of 6 implies a 6 to 1 compression ratio. Threshold is the level at which the compression starts being applied. Signals below the threshold level are not compressed at all. These two parameters work together to set how much the signal gets squashed down.

For example, lets say you have Ratio set to 4 and Threshold set to -30 dB. That means that anytime the input signal goes above -30 dB, the output signal will only increase proportionately 1/4th as much as the input signal does, or to put it another way, when the input signal goes up 4 dB beyond the threshold, the output will only go up 1 dB. The higher you set the ratio, the more the signal above the threshold get compressed.

If you want no compression, there's two ways to do this. Either reduce the Ratio down to 1 (1 to 1 = unity gain), or increase the threshold level higher than the entire input signal.

So, for your desired settings, I'd start with

Low Ratio: 2 to 4 range
Low Crossover: 160 Hz

Mid Ratio: 1

High Ratio: 8 to 10 range
High Crossover: 6.5 kHz

From there, adjust the Low and High thresholds to get your desired -3dB of compression on each while playing. The front panel reduction meters in the Muti-Comp block show the dB reduction values. The ones in Axe Edit do not.

The amount of compression is controlled by the Ratio and Threshold parameters.
Hi,

Your advise is very useful.
Can I make sure the below?

The target : I'd like to add the compression when 110hz is too much
1) Put multiband comp block
2) Set ratio in Low and High as 1
3) In Mid, Set crossover as 110hz, and set ratio as 2 to 4

Is this correct?

If you're just targeting a specific frequency with the Multiband Comp, you'll want to set both the Mid and High crossovers to border that frequency. The cutoff frequencies for those two filters are limited to being at least one octave apart, so you'll need to set them so your target frequency is roughly in the middle of that range. Try 73 Hz for the Mid crossover and 146 for the High crossover. That puts 110 Hz roughly in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom