Multi-Screen DIY controller

Hey there

Here is the start of the mockup build.

20201126_221713.jpg

Going to build it fully, and wire/ solder the screens and footswitches while attached to this board. The polyglass will be used to make the final enclosure (wood finish). The screens will be protected bij this polyglass, so i hope to make the PCB beer proof ;)

@prongs_386
Question for you. Does your programme have a button "HOLD" function as in a long press?

Cheers

Cool, good idea to go with the polyglass. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when complete.

I have programmed long press button handling, I just haven't done the work to allow you to define what to do in that situation for each button. What would you like to trigger? Would you want a completely different function to the short press and what would the screens do to show short vs long press options?

This is a good idea regarding easy preset selection. And the number positions would be predictable rather than numbers shifting around.

I like the idea of being able to see preset names once you've drilled down a bit though so might need a completely different idea as well to get the best experience.

Cool, good idea to go with the polyglass. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when complete.

Next step:. Drilled the holes and made M3 treadholes for the screens. Guess im stupid, because the holes on the lcd screens are 2mm lol... and i didnt had any beers yet when i thought of this idea.

Tried to drill 3mm holes in the screen, that worked, but this will take some time because i need to be drilling very carefully. That s****cks!

The mockup result so far:. It will look much clearer when the protection foil is removed ;)
20201127_000920.jpg

Cheers

Hey there @prongs_386

This is an amazing project, things are starting to build up. For those who follow this thread, here is a progress picture of the mockup (using @Piing V7 software and @tysonlt AxeControl libriary as base) Still working on the arduino code to match my configuration.

20201231_153308.jpg

Happy new year and good health to all.

Cheers

Last edited:
For those who follow this thread,

This Multi-Screen DIY controller software from Github is working like a charm, but still under development.
I can recommend this project to you if your interested in having a custom controller yourself.
The total cost for me was around 250 euro (dont know what amount of $ that will be when you read this). My setup is 15 TFT screens 1.8 inch (no SD) + 1x I2C 16 x 2 lcd and 18 footcontroller soft touch buttons.

@prongs_386 thank you for your support on the development with my configuration.

I am starting to wrap up the software development and started to build the enclosure.
Here is a progress picture.. will update my progress from time to time.20210131_164823.jpg

Hey there

Friday update ( no not from Cliff)

The build has made progress.
Need to do more work on text alligning and text size in the screens but for now this is okay.

This preview is my own settings .. will attach a preview with the @prongs_386 software settings in next post

Cheers20210205_122008.jpg

Hey there

Update 2:

This software of @prongs_386 is working out of the box with the correct .json configuration.

Really like the layout and the blazing fast screen refreshing. The OP has renewed the display driver, so there are still some developments there on the visual aspect, but the screens are working really fluid.

20210205_125031.jpg

@prongs_386 I will add my "findings" on github.

Cheers

Last edited:
Cool,

I ran out of time to deal with the text overflow on the new display lib.. my previous design split over multiple rows + scaled the font according to space.

I'll checkout any issues you raise on github.

Love the wood - next time I might try something similar.

Cool,

I ran out of time to deal with the text overflow on the new display lib.. my previous design split over multiple rows + scaled the font according to space.

I'll checkout any issues you raise on github.

Love the wood - next time I might try something similar.
Hey there

The wood is actually a piece of my floor. 32 cm wide laminate flooring. The surface is very hard but underneath it is very soft.
The wood is strong enough to stand on, but very manageable for drilling and handcrafting/filing (dont know if this word makes sense).

Cheers

Hey there

The wood is actually a piece of my floor. 32 cm wide laminate flooring. The surface is very hard but underneath it is very soft.
The wood is strong enough to stand on, but very manageable for drilling and handcrafting/filing (dont know if this word makes sense).

Cheers
Great idea... It's designed to be stepped on! ;)

I just pushed a new version. I've redone the preset select method.

Now you get 1 preset name and number per screen + page up/down buttons. Much easier to choose, particularly because most of the time I'm switching between numbers just in the range 400-500 rather than wanting to quickly jump from 50 to 480.

It preloads 50 preset names either side of the currently selected preset. Adds ~ 4 seconds to bootup time. When changing presets it will then ensure 50 either side are still loaded (doesn't reload ones it already has).

I could add a feature so that as you are paging across presets it will start loading more, hopefully never seeing a page where the presets aren't loaded, but that's for another time.

Hey there @prongs_386

I just finished my project last night.. enclosure and peddleboard surface are finished. Programming is done and all is working without errors (last night had a go for more that 5 hours and no problems).

I really want to thank you for all the support on how to build and code with this amazing project. I have learned bunch of new stuff and eventually in time i will build another one with a metal surface for sure because i know i will miss this project soon enough ;) and hope to learn to code the correct way like you and TysonIT for instance.

Here are some pictures of the unit and the features it holds.
I do want to adapt your tuner screen (screen 7) into my own program some day. I had a go at it, but did not succeed yet. I got a working tuner on the 16*2 LCD and is working fine (with the code of @Piing his program) but i like yours allso very much.

Well thats it. Now all i need is to learn to play the guitar ;)

Cheers

Attachments

• 1_Scene_page.jpg
    1_Scene_page.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 2_Preset_bank_page.jpg
    2_Preset_bank_page.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 3_Audition_Mode_On.jpg
    3_Audition_Mode_On.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 4_Looper_Page.jpg