Multi-purpose effect switch

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I have a number of presets with a clean chorus scene. I'd like the hold function of the switch the recalls that scene to cycle through different modulation types. Not channels of one block, different block types. I think that can be done by cycling through channels of a multiplexer.

But here's the thing: Some effects I want before the amp, like phaser, some after, like chorus, but both controlled by the same footswitch.

Is that possible? My guess is no, not with an FC as the controller, but I'm hoping there are folks out there with more clevers than me.

It's possible if you don't need any stereo post-amp effects in this cycled group. (Other stereo effects after the cab block would be fine.)

It would be easier to use a mixer block instead of a multiplexer. Here's an example with a pre phaser and post chorus. Turn up row 1 or 2 to choose phaser or nothing before amp, row 3 or 4 for chorus or nothing post-amp. With 6 rows and 4 mixer channels you could add two more blocks (or chains) to this group.

SItM2HP.png

Hmmm, thank you, actually had to think about this one for a bit :)
And a diagram to boot!

Let me make sure I understand what's happening here. You're using the left side of the mixer as the before-amp switcher, the right side as the post-amp switcher, and a send-return pair to route both pre- and post-amp paths through the mixer. Right?

Clever use of the available tools!

Seems like it's one pan-pot jiggle away from a direct feedback loop; not sure how worried I am about that.
Also not sure if my simple-minded switching idea is worth the complexity.

Really would be useful if switches could do more than one thing.

Right. A feedback loop is possible so you'd probably want to do initial setup with volume down (or amp block muted/disconnected) then test at low volume. Also remember that the block library or copy/paste with the amp block would switch to the input select settings of the source block.

Back
Top Bottom