J00McG00

Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up 3 Axe FX II XL+ units for use with my band's live rig. At the moment, I've got all my patches and scene levels right, but now I'm trying to figure out how to program patch changes for all 3 units. I've got USB running into the first Axe, with cascading Midi Thru to Midi In cables for the other 2. I am using Logic Pro X and I have separate tracks for each Axe, and they are set to their corresponding midi channels on both the unit and the DAW. I have midi blocks on each channel set to change patches / scenes ok, but I'm getting 0 read on Axe 2 and 3, the first one is getting midi signals just fine through USB.

If there's anyone that has experience with this, please help!!! I have no idea what to do from here.

I'm a II MK1 user where I have to turn the MIDI Thru on in the I/O menu - but if memory serves me right, the XL has the Midi In permanently hardwired to Midi Thru - is that correct?

First simple test I would probably do would be to try the USB cable into AxeFX #2 and see if it

a) picks up the PC messages coming from the DAW on it's Track and MIDI channel

b) (optionally if 'a' above works) It also passes Midi PC messages from the DAW via Midi Thru to AxeFX #3

If AxeFX #2 responds to the Midi commands set in it's DAW track when the USB is connected to it, then the issue cause 'might' be restricted to something wrong in the Midi setup on AxeFX #1

You could also try sending the USB to AxeFX #3 - if all the AxeFX's respond as expected to the Midi on their respective channels from their DAW tracks when the USB is connected to them then that should help rule out the DAW settings as being at fault.

I might be wrong, but I don't think midi over USB gets to midi Thru.
Ahhh .... I think you might be right

I think on the AxeFX II you might have got round it somewhat by using USB Adaptor Mode = 'On' on the first AxeFX II XL and using the MIDI Out from it to the next AxeFX. Never tried it myself though, but there's a diagram in the AxeFX II wiki that seems to imply that would be viable, but a source link back to the forum showed that latency could be an unavoidable issue because the USB Adaptor mode was only designed for low level interfacing.

But I see according to the wiki it seems that the III no longer implements that USB Adaptor Mode so it's not even relevant here.

So unless someone knows better, it does seem that the best method might be to find a suitable USB to MIDI device to go between Logic and the first AxeFX, or maybe better to reduce the chance of latency between the daisy chained AxeFXs, have the device be capable of splitting the input into at least 3 separate MIDI Out connections.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess maybe the motu might be the best option...is it possible to use just USB cables for each axe to do patch changes? Or would that screw with the protocol?

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess maybe the motu might be the best option...is it possible to use just USB cables for each axe to do patch changes? Or would that screw with the protocol?
Do you mean running 3 USB cables from your computer, one to each Axe Fx? Not sure if that will work, but fairly easy to test.

It's not possible to daisy chain them...

Back
Top Bottom