Multi instrumentalist considering Axe Fx

DanG!

I play several instruments and switch out as the song demands. Currently I run everything through my fx chain and then switch the signal through multiple DI's and amp sim pedals depending on the instrument. Eventually everything ends up on the mixing board. No amps are used on stage. Some fx aren't usable in certain instruments in this setup due to varied I put levels (for example mandolin doesn't hit the sweet spot for the envelope filter). Add to that the hassle of cables going bad and occasional ground loop issues with the multiple DI's attached and I'm looking for a simpler solution.

I play acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin, banjo, and dobro right now and I'm sure something new will be in there sooner or later.

Does the axe FX ii have good settings for handling the acoustic instruments? I'm not looking for tonematching or modeling of the instruments. I just want a good representation of what I get running their pickups into a good acoustic DI. I was hoping that I'd be able to have a preset for each instrument that employs all the fx, tweaked for the input level, and then equalized at the output so they can be run into the board into a single channel.

Is this feasible or am I expecting too much from a single unit?

it can do that. you might not need the Amp and Cab sims like electric guitarists (though there is a Tube Preamp amp type that can be used), but the wealth of EQ, the MultiBand comp and other effects will handle everything you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom