Multi Dly BLEW MY SPEAKERS

I bet you didn't use the update preset function.

And... You should do your gain staging correctlty, you will never blow a speaker if the PA is configured to stay under the speaker's maximum power.

Sorry

I think Cliff is quite capable operating his own device :) He has already said he has had this happen to him and will fix it.

FALSE. Continuous feedback due to a delay such as this can/will overload the circuit that can go nearly indefinitely and gets exponentially more powerful...it will push the amp beyond it's 'rating'. The amp can still peak WELL above it's rated capacity, and it only takes one peak to destroy a speaker.

The behavior you described isn't a peak, and an amp will never peak too far from it's RMS output power.

I think Cliff is quite capable operating his own device :) He has already said he has had this happen to him and will fix it.

Did he fried his speaker too? I doubt it.

Everyone can make "loud" mistakes, they should be scary but nothing should blow up.

If the axe overloads, it will never output more power than it's clipping output power.

The behavior you described isn't a peak, and an amp will never peak too far from it's RMS output power.

Peak power...and yes, an amp can peak WELL above it's RMS output power. Just because there's an RMS value, does not mean that it cannot exceed that value. There's a difference between mathematically formulated values and real world values...simply because there are too many variables involved.

I think guitartripp is right. I remember reading an article where someone measured an old Marshall 100watt plexi and it was reading between 150 and 160 watts. Even they were surprised by how much higher it was reading.

Gira, RMS power is simply a measure of an amps continued power output over a period of time (VERY simply stated). In basic terms, what is the highest output that can be sustained over x period of time without causing damage/artifact/distortion beyond reason/etc. Once an amp goes beyond this point, it can and may still work perfectly. It may not...it's all about the quality and tolerance of it's components. If you inject a signal into an amp, it's going to do it's job and amplify it...it'll also start amplifying all sorts of junk. Yes, there are filters that are put into place to counter this, as well as a feedback loop system. But, there's nothing like continuous injected signal to keep getting amplified more and more...eventually something gives.

Peak Vs RMS is irrelevant in this case, the GT1000FX has more than enough RMS to thermally fry the voicecoils on just about any 'guitar' speaker, even without clipping signals. It must have been turned up hella loud in the first place.

...you will never blow a speaker if the PA is configured to stay under the speaker's maximum power.

Not true, you're actually more likely to blow a speaker by being under powered. without getting overly technical...It's a square wave to the speakers that takes them out. by under powering you're more likely to push things harder and cause the amp to square wave, speakers go poof. slightly over powering gives the system more headroom, less likely to square wave and speakers are happy.

also keep in mind that the "volume" controls on an amp are not volume controls but actually input attenuators. an amplifier is still capable of reaching full rated output with them set (for example) at 50%

Peak power...and yes, an amp can peak WELL above it's RMS output power. Just because there's an RMS value, does not mean that it cannot exceed that value. There's a difference between mathematically formulated values and real world values...simply because there are too many variables involved.

That's it, totally what happened, my volume was nowhere near super loud, a bit above bedroom level. When it occurred it grew louder very quickly, I couldn't get to the foot controller fast enough to stop it in time. I will not be using Multi Delay again till they fix whatever caused this. Oh well, gave me the push I needed to get some Delta Pro 12 A's. BTW, my amp is a Matrix GT1000fx, speaker cab was rated at 100 watts and the amp was running stereo, ohms don't matter that much on this rig due to the matrix amp, my other cab had JBL G125-8's in it and handled the incident without damage, but the two celestions, died quickly. I would have been VERY mad if my JBL's had fried, those are impossible to get now, they are like EV12L's, and really pretty much extinct too.

I use the Eminence Pro Delta A's with a Matrix GT1600FX and it's awesome. Won't blow speaker ever with those bad boys.

Guys I understand that a mean power is different from peak power, but the axe and every amp cannot amplify and amplify ad libitum, there are physical limits.

One of the most common mistakes that leads to speaker failure is to turn off a power amp that is still turned up. The resulting "pop" from a square wave causes extreme stress on speakers. If oscillation occurs due to a runaway delay ALWAYS turn down the power amp before hitting the "off" button. The oscillation by itself probably won't damage anything, but the oscillation AND and square wave can damage your speakers. If you're running directly into a guitar amp utilize the standby switch after turning down the volume.

After the last firmware update, I had a patch that apparently had some feedback parameters go haywire, and it started a loop that would not go away even when I had changed patches (spillover might have been on). Didn't damage anything, but probably only because I had time to react. It was quickly clipping the output section.

Went in and readjusted the cross-channel feedbacks lower, and it fixed it. But they were only at about 25% on the highest values. I got the impression that they were being additive, though.

Back
Top Bottom