Multi-Delay Input Diffusion Demo

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
There have been a lot of threads requesting a shimmer reverb over the years, to which many (including myself) respond that shimmer reverb is already in the box; it just takes more than one block to build.

Now that the MultiDelay block has Input Diffusion as well as the usual cross-line diffusion, we have the capability to do some very diffused ambient sounds with just a single block, including some great shimmer reverb.

As requested, here's a block to get you started. X is a cloudy, swirly reverb, and Y is blooming shimmer. It's configured to be run in parallel with the main path. No reverb block necessary. This block should be compatible with Axe-Fx/AX8 firmware 7.02 (FX8 5.03) and later.

Here's a (rather sloppy) demo. I tried to over emphasize the attack to demonstrate that the input diffusion handles the task of blurring the transients of individual echos together.

Attachments

• Cloudy Skies.blk
    828 bytes · Views: 334
May be a dumb question... in the OP, there are references to an X and Y. I loaded the block on my XL and there is no X/Y, only X. Does the Multi-Delay support X/Y? The X setting sounds beautiful. I would love to have the shimmer settings (Y) if they are available.

EDIT: found this link. X/Y is supported on AX8, but not FX/XL/XL+. I loaded this on my XL and is where I noticed the absence of the Y. Luckily, I also have an AX8, so I can use that to grab the Y settings. :)
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=X/Y_switching

This is great! I am worship leader and recent AX8 convert. I was really skeptical that the Fractal effects would be able to replace my Strymon pedals but I am really impressed so far and not missing any of my pedals. This preset and your swell preset are a huge help for someone who is learning and needs sounds immediately to use each week.

I tried to over emphasize the attack to demonstrate that the input diffusion handles the task of blurring the transients of individual echos together.

I was wondering in my ignorance what input diffusion was, and this sentence has explained it beautifully for me, thanks @philipacamaniac. I have a lot of shimmer patches with reverb blocks which I hopefully can now delete or or free up for a different purpose. Gotta love my Fractal!

This is great! I am worship leader and recent AX8 convert. I was really skeptical that the Fractal effects would be able to replace my Strymon pedals but I am really impressed so far and not missing any of my pedals. This preset and your swell preset are a huge help for someone who is learning and needs sounds immediately to use each week.

Welcome aboard @Will R! I play a lot of worship stuff and I've got my AFX shimmer working just perfectly now, so have never needed to get a Strymon. The Strymon are basically shimmer straight out of the box (which is handy if you are in a rush - misnomer), with the AFX you have to understand the different blocks to create a shimmer effect however you get a wider variety out of the AFX. And I've seriously not found a sound that I cannot replicate yet. Strymon was always on my next purchase list until I started understanding how to use my AFX and now it has dropped off completely.

Hi all, brand new to Fractal and the AX8. Is this block available to use on AX8? I tried dragging the block into a preset and it says it needs FW 7.02 or later. My unit is brand new and running the latest FM 7.01. What am i missing? Thanks in advance!

7.02 was a beta, which then became 8.00 which is also a beta. There isn't an official non-beta release that supports this saved block yet (and specifically the input diffusion necessary to make it work).

You can update your unit to the beta firmware if you'd like to join in on the fun.

Back
Top Bottom