Wish Multi Channel amp

SoProg

Inspired
So, I love my AX8, and also have been bellyaching about having to compromise my clean tone by using a modified highgain amp on any live patches, to avoid audio drop out live.

I wonder if someday (next gen fractal devices), there could be an option to load up an 3 channel amp with all it's channels available (and trade off x/y functionality and cpu load).

The way I imagine Cliff modeling an amp is partially about an environment where emulates actual circuitry, if that's the case, and a 3 channel amp uses mostly shared circuitry on all 3 channels, is this really a stretch?

I think this would be awesome
But I'd settle for 2(or 3) amp blocks too.

As I view it the amp models would share the power amp section only. Afaik the heavy lifting is done in the preamp / tone stack section so you wouldn't gain enough with your approach to eliminate the gap. However, since the gap is only 1.x seconds at max, maybe it would be possible to make use of an intermediate stripped down and fast amp model (e.g. on a POD quality level) to bridge the gap until the real model can take over ? Just guessing.

As I view it the amp models would share the power amp section only. Afaik the heavy lifting is done in the preamp / tone stack section so you wouldn't gain enough with your approach to eliminate the gap. However, since the gap is only 1.x seconds at max, maybe it would be possible to make use of an intermediate stripped down and fast amp model (e.g. on a POD quality level) to bridge the gap until the real model can take over ? Just guessing.

I was just going off of what I've read online and what my amp builder friends have said, which is that in many 2 channel amps, the clean and gain channels share 80% or more of their circuitry across the pre and poweramp sections.

And if the way models are made at FAS shares enough similarities with real amp circuitry, then loading just one BIG amp model might work.

But I guess it would make sense that since a large part of amp circuitry exists to regulate and protect against physical phenomena that isn't an issue in digital realm, AND Cliff is constantly increasing the realism of the models, that the FAS amp models probably just leave out a huge amount of components and circuits from real amps to fit them into the box.

If that's the case, then it would be tight to implement CPU hungry XL Ampblocks that are either designed by FAS from the ground up.

... maybe it would be possible to make use of an intermediate stripped down and fast amp model (e.g. on a POD quality level) to bridge the gap until the real model can take over ? Just guessing.

I'm absolutely not versed in any of this technology, programming whatsoever but... maybe some kind of algorithm could be applied into this, let's say like when you're driving manual transmission and want to shift from one gear to the next, you have to take your foot from the gas pedal to engage the clutch and then shift gears. By doing this (and let's say, from a normal person's POV and not a pro driver who can make shifts almost seamlessly) the engine loses a bit of power and when the new gear is engaged it slowly builds up again.

Take that to the AX8's processing and in order to make seamless shifts from one preset to another, the CPU could 'downsize' resolution (yes, that POD quality level could be useful, LOL) and when the new preset is loaded, 'slowly' bring that Hi Res quality back. It could be a Global Setup thing to choose, like the option for trails/no trails, this could be 'Seamless switching/Hi res switching'.

Just my two cents...

What about an option to load & unload all amps to computer and be able to choose and load only 3 amps needed to live gig.. does that could free amp memory space in order to be seamless or faster switching between the only 3 loaded?
Its great to have a lot of amps available, but in my case for live gig I just need 3.

Back
Top Bottom