• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Multi-band distortion

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
Was thinking about how the impedance curve of the speaker makes the power amp distort more lows or highs, less middle freqs, depending on the speaker / negative feedback etc etc.

...in lieu of a third amp block, using a drive pedal as the solid state preamp, and a multi comp as the power amp approximation...you can get the sag to feel right, but the multi comp won't distort.

It would be cool to have a multi-band distortion block (one that is packaged, negating the necessity to build one with multiple drives and crossovers).

Fredneck

Inspired
I have the Source Audio Multiwave Distortion Pro with the graphic eq and presets. Very weird! They make one for bass too.

GM Arts

Forum Addict
Of course, if you want to overdrive the mids (for example) more than lows and highs, you boost mids before the drive block, then if necessary, eq after the drive block to taste.

Last edited:

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
Of course, if you want more overdrive the mids (for example) more than the lows and highs, you boost mids before the drive block, then if necessary, eq after the drive block to taste.
Yeah yeah that works, but in a multi comp, there's multiple actual processors, they get different thresholds / ratios. It's not just like a package of crossovers in front of one compressor. Multi band distortion same way, you have different gain / tone / clipping type per band, it's multiple processors in one box.

Old school izotope trash multiband distortion...

shatteredsquare

Forum Addict
Not at all. Distortion could be added to the actual band of the multiband compression.
That would be sweet, selectable clip/drive type per band. I haven't played with it lately, but did multi comp get that analog compressor type that will distort? The one that got added most recently I think to the regular comp block, it sounded pretty juicy the one time I loaded it up

GotMetalBoy

Forum Addict
I used to use a plugin called Trash by iZotope to do this. I stopped using it because I was never able to replicate the sounds live. I've tried replicating the sound by using the Crossover, Filter, Comp, Amp and Drive Blocks but never was able to make it sound as good.

Smilzo

Forum Addict
did multi comp get that analog compressor type that will distort? The one that got added most recently I think to the regular comp block, it sounded pretty juicy the one time I loaded it up
Dunno.

Multicomp used to sit better in the mix should be as linear as possible. But also multicomp should be a creative tool, to have a crunchy low end with clear mid-high, or the opposite, clear bass with crunchy high end. "clip type per band" are welcome, but even a simple "clip level" (from 0 to 10) light-cpu-load will work (think about overdrive in cab or delay block). We're talking about creating a new sound, not replicating an existing distortion pedal or amp. Even a synth like distortion should work.

decreebass

Veteran
I love this idea; essentially a 4(or more)-drives-in-one drive. What a great idea. I thought of that Boss pedal that came out around the same time as the Tera Echo when I saw this. I'd have some fun with that!

Top Bottom