• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Muddy Chords

jw3571

Inspired
I'm struggling with getting chords to sound clean but still be on a crunch setting. For example playing GNR's Paradise City when you hit the first crunch G chord. It just sounds muddy, if I dial back the gain or the Master the crunch isn't there. Any suggestions?

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
What amp are you using?
Is it low end mud? - try dialing out some 'depth' and/or 'bass'. Also try the 'cut' switch.
Some amps I find much easier to get rid of flubby/muddy-ness by putting a 'Drive' block in front. I use the TS808, put the gain on zero.

ConnorGilks

Experienced
Definitely use a gain up front if you haven't already. If you want minimal tone coloring just put the gain on zero, tone to taste, and raise the level up a fair amount. I find this always tightens up the amp and gives it clarity, among other benefits.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Try a different amp. Turn down the bass. Turn up the treble and/or presence. The boost in front thing is for really high gain. GnR is not the same territory and that tone is just Gibson through a cranked Marshall. On that album he used a Silver Jubilee so start with that model. Turn down the gain. Slash used way less gain than what you probably think.

A boost in front would be my last resort. That's simply not how those tones are achieved.

levipeto

Fractal Fanatic
19 Brit Silver (based on Marshall Silver Jubilee)
20 Brit Super (based on Marshall AFD100) AFD = Appetite For Destruction. AFD100 suppose to be similar to the lost #39 amp from S.I.R.

Try placing a MultiComp to the end of the chain.

merlin17

Power User
What guitar do you play?
I have two Tokai Les Pauls which I like, but they are either thin or muddy sounding, not toooo bad, but never perfect. Similar with two Gibsons of a friend of mine (a '72 and a '81 Standard, both highly customized).
I have a Tandler Beauty (Les Paul replica) since last week and all those problems are gone, she is fat AND transparent but never shrill or muddy.

jw3571

Inspired
Thanks for the responses, I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Brit Super Amp. I'll give your suggestions a try.

jw3571

Inspired
I tried the suggestion and they really seemed to work. I made a two different patches, one just cranking a Jubilee with a multi comp at the end the other using a drive pedal with the AFD100. They both sound way better than before. What exactly does a multi comp do, should I be placing these at the end of all my presets?

I've attached both presets to opinions from the pros on here. Please give your constructive criticism, but don't be too mean, i admittedly suck at making presets.

Thanks, let me know if this would be better in the preset forum.

Attachments

Top Bottom