Much rework needed when going from 17.04 to 18.01?

Rich G.

Experienced
I'd like to go from 17.04 to 18.01. I've a big gig tomorrow and I'm on a tight time budget tonight. How much rework is needed when updating the firmware? I usually spend 3 hours or so verifying levels across my library of 10 or so gig presets. This includes solo levels and heel down/toe down clean to dirty levels. Just wondering if I'm in for a long or short putt.

It really depends on your specific presets.

But with words like "big gig" and "tight time budget" I would just wait. Levels definitely change and some CC#s are different. MFC-101 (if you have one) might need updating, etc.

Just think, in just 2 days you'll update and all will be right in the world.

But with words like "big gig" and "tight time budget" I would just wait. Levels definitely change and some CC#s are different. MFC-101 (if you have one) might need updating, etc.

Chris - Which CC's need updating. I know there is a new rotary x/y but what impacts does that have on existing.??

I agree with Chris on this one.
I'm a kamikaze and I updated to FW 18 just before a gig. It worked out OK but I definitely would have been more comfortable waiting a day. If you don't have time to check your presets and such, I'd wait.

All I had to do was less some cut in the lows/highs and adjust the advanced settings back how I like them. Updating from 17 to 18 resets them all back to default values.

Ok- That settles it for me. I'll hold off. I've been happy with 17.04 and have things dialed in nicely. It's our 10 year anniversary gig as a band. Always a packed house for St. Pat's day. Don't want to go into it with unpredictable results.

Hold your horses mate…
I wouldn’t touch the black box before a gig, specially before a big gig….
Further, I've upgrade today from 17.2 to 18.1 and YES, I can confirm some volume issues with the presets.
I'm using something like 15 presets for our show and it looks like I will spend some time to adjust all again as some presets got the amp master up to 11 and few have the overall volume sky high…dot know way.
Moreover few amps had the SAT switch OFF.

I have had to do some tweaking, but for me they were easy, I play mostly Metal type music. So I had to adjust the distortion levels as some things were off when they had been on before, but once I turned on the different things that were off and tweaked the level's things sounded so good. I thought 17 was badass but once you dial in 18 u'll most likely be like WOW i know I am haha

Back
Top Bottom