FM3 Mr. Mister - Don't Slow Down Cover

JD Elliott

Inspired
Hey guys,

I just recently completed a cover of the Mr. Mister track 'Don't Slow Down' from their 'Welcome To The Real World' album. This is my all time favourite Mr. Mister track and one that I've never heard anyone cover as yet, I think their most rockiest tune. Normally its Kyrie or Broken Wings that gets covered.
Anyhow, all guitars were recorded with my FM3 and my own preset using the Marshall Plexi 2204 amp model. Always admired Steve Farris as a guitarist and his style, especially his use of the tremolo, quite similar the late Alan Murphy from Go West/Level 42. All instruments, synth & drum programming by me, had to tweak a lot of synth presets for this one to get in the ball park lol.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Sounds great!
May I ask you what speaker IR you used for the Plexi 2240 amp model?

Cheers,

Mats N

Cheers mate, I'm using two stock IRs from the FM3.

2x12 Brown Sugar 160B & 2x12 Neo Creambk 57 Rear CEL

Not much else as far as Cab settings go, fairly standard.

Hey guys,

I just recently completed a cover of the Mr. Mister track 'Don't Slow Down' from their 'Welcome To The Real World' album. This is my all time favourite Mr. Mister track and one that I've never heard anyone cover as yet, I think their most rockiest tune. Normally its Kyrie or Broken Wings that gets covered.
Anyhow, all guitars were recorded with my FM3 and my own preset using the Marshall Plexi 2204 amp model. Always admired Steve Farris as a guitarist and his style, especially his use of the tremolo, quite similar the late Alan Murphy from Go West/Level 42. All instruments, synth & drum programming by me, had to tweak a lot of synth presets for this one to get in the ball park lol.

Great job with the tune, and great playing. Impressive!

Hey guys,

Sounds beautiful man! Care to share the preset ??

Sounds beautiful man! Care to share the preset ??

Thanks Bro and of course, its just a preset made of a few marshall and marshall sounding amps, JVM 410, Plexi 2204, Splawn Nitro and Friedman Smallbox. You'll need to change the cabs for most of the scenes as I use 3rd party Suhr/Friedman cabs but the Plexi 2204 Crunch scene, I used stock as mentioned above. Scene 2 was all I used for this track for lead and rhythm ;)

Attachments

• Marshall Like.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yep, big fan of Steve's playing since way back in the mid 80s. I've seen this interview before and is excellent, I had no idea about some of the projects he was involved with throughout his career. Thanks for your comments and listening bro, much appreciated.

Did you sing this? :eek: Sounds exactly like Page in every nuance...did you apply the original vocal track somehow?
'
Sorry bro, somehow I missed your post. The vocal/backing vocals is a stem I made from the original and mixed into my instrument tracks. Certainly not me singing ;) but everything else is.

This sounds fantastic; although I respectfully disagree that this is their rockiest tune...Uniform of Youth all day! Regardless, this album is criminally underrated, and I salute you for bringing it back. Well executed Sir.

Actually, you may have a point there sir, I forgot all about Uniform of Youth, that one probably does edge this one I think :)
Thank you very much for listening and comments bro, really good to see this album and the band are still appreciated and not forgotten ;)

The single version of Stand and Deliver had the guitars turned up so was far meatier, plus extra lead fills from Steve

Have you heard Steve's late 90's band On Golden Blonde? Hendrixy power trio, very different playing from him and he said it's the best stuff he ever recorded

Yep, Stand & Deliver, the version on the 'Go On' Album was certainly a contender as well for their rockiest song, the version on the best of album sounded remixed with the guitars sounding a little weird as if overly compressed. One of Steve's best solo's on that track IMO.
I've not heard of Golden Blonde at all, I will have to try and locate where I can hear that. Thanks for the tip bro :_

Yep, Stand & Deliver, the version on the 'Go On' Album was certainly a contender as well for their rockiest song, the version on the best of album sounded remixed with the guitars sounding a little weird as if overly compressed. One of Steve's best solo's on that track IMO.
I've not heard of Golden Blonde at all, I will have to try and locate where I can hear that. Thanks for the tip bro :_

You'll struggle to find it online. PM me an email address and I'll send you a link to a file I have of SF stuff, there's loads of live Mr Mister stuff and plenty of his session work

Back
Top Bottom