Mr. Chase, please ...

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
How about a Public Beta 3.0? Is it ready enough?

I'm not sure if Axe Edit is ready enough to go out with it soI don't want to ask for what can't be done, but I'd be ready to sacrifice a bit of Axe Edit functionality to get going with 3.0.

If you show up at Fractal's door step on the 31st with an empty Axe II box and say trick or treat.... ??? ohhh.. and don't forget the costume :)

3a543f34.jpg

sorry I just had to :D

Attachments

• 3a543f34.jpg
    3a543f34.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17
My PERSONAL opinion is that it will never happen. Unless code is properly tested, it has the possibility of 'bricking' the unit (albeit the chance is very small.) It also expands the amount of bugs/questions/clarifications by a thousandfold. It makes more sense to use a beta sequence with a number of testers with a discrete set of shakedown steps. Also there may be things that don't work in a beta phase, and are left out of the 'gold' copy...inevitably, it would be something that a vocal and demonstrative group would deem 'necessary', and fill threads with 'where is my 'funky widget' I had in beta?'

Cliff is a pretty busy guy. I'd rather he had a smaller job managing the task of actually pushing this production ready out the door, rather than make development a community effort...it ain't open source.

IMO. YMMV. Etc.

Ron

First they starve you with Axe II (with the waiting list) and now with 3.0. Fractal really doesn't care about you. :D

The past has shown that Cliff doesn't talk about things and then not follow them up soon with a firmware upgrade. Also, I know the big reason that this is 3.0 is the new USB 4x4 audio. This means they've got to add the code to the AxeFX AND modify the computer drivers. Then there's also Axe-Edit and the possibility of Axe-Change functionality coming.

All this being said I really believe the firmware will be released soon. Like in the next week. I'm crossing my fingers!

I'm looking forward to it when it is ready :) and public beta is not a good idea, why have 500 hundred people tell you a bug popped up when only one would do. there would be no time left for development .

NeoSound - I see your point but the huge pop in V1. something wasnt picked up on. In all fairness that's a very small potato and easy to deal with. Considering how new it is it's a stellar product. The only problem mine will have is I'm going to wear it out ( and I fully intend to ;) ). Clips sound fantastic so it's good to have something to look forward to ( the lonestar alone makes it worth the wait ! ).

While we're sharing unsolicited opinions, mine is that I hope FAS holds 3.0 until it is
relatively bug-free and until Axe-Edit is updated to reflect the firmware changes.

Personally, I would prefer the firmware and editor updates to appear simultaneously so that new features are readily available.

A few days later doesn't make that much difference to me.

As always, YMMV.

Maybe while you are waiting for the axe-edit you'll have time to code patch assignable inputs into 3.0?
Still dreaming about that one!

Thank gawwwwwd its not today. Have a gig tonight.......did NOT want to deal with the "Shoud I ?" Software upgrade bug in my head ahead of tonight, LOL

Cliff, I have no idea how you can deal with all the production issues, promotion, firmware design, software design and still have time to monitor and respond to issues on this forum. Have you cloned yourself a half a dozen times? Please tell me your secret, it would help me with running my business.

Seriously, like your product, you are amazing.

Also there may be things that don't work in a beta phase, and are left out of the 'gold' copy...inevitably, it would be something that a vocal and demonstrative group would deem 'necessary', and fill threads with 'where is my 'funky widget' I had in beta?'
C'mon now. That would NEVER happen! :lol

On a more serious note, I suspect Cliff knows better than to do a "public beta". I think GMail's five year "beta" period really jacked with people's perception of what "beta" really means. "Beta" is not a "preview release". In reality, if a product is ready for most anyone to bang on it, it's not really beta.

<rant>

People seem to forget that the term "beta" in this context has traditionally been immediately followed by the word "test". In the vast majority of cases, the public as a whole is ill-equipped to test software. All too many AxeFx users struggle to provide sufficient context to enable someone to help troubleshoot a non-functional rig. Do we expect these people to provide actionable feedback about defects in the firmware? Would we be surprised if they went ballistic if beta firmware messed up some presets or bricked their AxeFx? As long as Cliff has an adequate cross-section of beta testers (e.g., both PC & Mac users) and they're covering the bases as far as use cases, I'm a lot more comfortable with a limited beta program than I am with a public one.

</rant>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom