Moving to in ear monitoring from tube amps... How do I create softness in the high end

tonejunkie

I'm finding good sounds for my in ears overall but I'm looking to create some softness in the high end... It does not seem to be a EQ thing because when I listen to my tube amps the high end is there but with my in ears its much more in your face. Is there a way to create a spongy feel in the high end? I'm new to this so it may not be a thing. Thanks

I'm finding good sounds for my in ears overall but I'm looking to create some softness in the high end... It does not seem to be a EQ thing because when I listen to my tube amps the high end is there but with my in ears its much more in your face. Is there a way to create a spongy feel in the high end? I'm new to this so it may not be a thing. Thanks
Increase speaker drive to taste.

Your speakers probably drop at the usual 6k whereas the axe will reproduce the highs to 20k, exposing much more high end. Drop the high cut in the cab block to 8k at 12dB/oct and see how it feels.

Recent favorite tone tweak to apply is cabinet preamp. It smoothes out the cab block a bit. Think of it as helping with the feeling that the output of the cab block is (for most IRs) equivalent to putting your ear very close to a cabinet. Which is great for certain types of tracks, but sometimes you just want something a little warmer.

Been setting the type to FET I, drive to 2 (not much), and saturation at 0 to simulate an isolation cabinet for guitar speakers. Love it!

Tube amp in the room to a modeler on in-ears ? That is a big shift, I’m surprised that it’s just a bit of high end bothering you. High cut in the cab block should solve that.
Yeah I used to tour in larger funk and reggae bands around 8 years ago I was fine with loud back then. For the last 8 years most of my gigs are instrumental jazz so low volume amp in a room sounds great and is not too rough on my ears. I just got hired for another large funk band and its just too loud and they have an in ear rig so here we go learning a new trick :)

Yeah I used to tour in larger funk and reggae bands around 8 years ago I was fine with loud back then. For the last 8 years most of my gigs are instrumental jazz so low volume amp in a room sounds great and is not too rough on my ears. I just got hired for another large funk band and its just too loud and they have an in ear rig so here we go learning a new trick :)
I have been looking at moving to IEM's (ASI) they are nice but a little spendy which ones are you using?

Hi @tonejunkie

You could also try a multiband compressor just before the output, with just the offending frequencies being compressed.

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom