Moving to FM3 from AX8 - aside from the footswitching, any reason against?

Random Hero

Inspired
Regarding the footswitching, I’m adding an FC-6 so that won’t be an issue.

Is there any other reason not to switch over? I know technically the processing power is similar (at least I remember reading that?) but is there anything else to note?

Regarding the footswitching, I’m adding an FC-6 so that won’t be an issue.

Is there any other reason not to switch over? I know technically the processing power is similar (at least I remember reading that?) but is there anything else to note?

Considering the FM3 is a brain piece of a modular rig, the "It only has 3 switches" argument makes no sense. Unlike the AX8, It can have as many switches as you can carry. From as little as 3. You can't cut AX8 in half if you need less. It's a wonderful design.
I can't really think of any downside to FM3 over the AX8 except for the size: FM3+FC6 is slightly wider (though not so deep) and maybe heavier than AX8. You'll need a bigger case for it.
Other than that, You are in for a treat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Is there any other reason not to switch over?

Short answer, no.
Longer answer, probably not.

Only a few blockers I can think of. One is financial (selling your ax8 would help). Another would be how detailed your current presets are. When I switched I had to re-create all of them from scratch. When I transferred with the fractool it just didn’t sound even close at all (YMMV). I don’t think either of these are a big deal though and I don’t regret switching at all.

Do you find the user interface is easier with the FM3 compared to the AX8?

Somehow Fractal took the AxeFX II interface, added knobs, and ended up with a worse interface with the AX8 compared to the AxeFX II. I found the AX8 interface clumsy and antiquated. I thought it was the worst interface on the market at that time.

The AxeFX III/FM3 interface is a huge improvement over the AX8 in terms of editing and navigation. But that interface is designed for a rack unit, not a performance based floor unit. As it is right now with the current FM3 FW, some may prefer the AX8 knobs and performance pages over the FM3. When the performance pages get added to the FM3, the FM3 will clearly have the upper hand.

IMO, of course.

Somehow Fractal took the AxeFX II interface, added knobs, and ended up with a worse interface with the AX8 compared to the AxeFX II. I found the AX8 interface clumsy and antiquated. I thought it was the worst interface on the market at that time.

The AxeFX III/FM3 interface is a huge improvement over the AX8 in terms of editing and navigation. But that interface is designed for a rack unit, not a performance based floor unit. As it is right now with the current FM3 FW, some may prefer the AX8 knobs and performance pages over the FM3. When the performance pages get added to the FM3, the FM3 will clearly have the upper hand.

IMO, of course.

This is good to hear. I used the my AX8 for about a year. I loved the tones, but I found the UI just clumsy so I sold it. I have a 3-way FRFR bass cab, so it works great with emulations. (the reason I built it) I'm on the waitlist and am hopeful the FM3 is easier for this old dog to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom