Moving speakers closer together, reverb

L

luke

In a redecorating of my studio I moved my CLRs about 18” closer to one another, as a result it seems like I need to reduce my overall reverb. For now I put the global at 80%, odd phenomena.

Same psychoacoustic effect with cans on. I’m using open-back Sennheisers and they have considerably wide sound stage. If I reduce the stereo width of whichever reverb I happen to be using, I inevitably need to reduce the reverb mix as the core amp tone and punch gets washed out too much. I guess it’s just a matter of separation in the stereo field.

Yeah, your brain positions things based on where it hears them. The L and R reverb channels are going to be coming out of each speaker respectively, but parts that are the same (like your dry signal) your brain will place in the middle. So when your speakers are further apart, the reverb is "further away" from your centered dry signal. Bring them closer and it starts to bunch up and they have to compete on volume instead of just space.

Yeah, your brain positions things based on where it hears them. The L and R reverb channels are going to be coming out of each speaker respectively, but parts that are the same (like your dry signal) your brain will place in the middle. So when your speakers are further apart, the reverb is "further away" from your centered dry signal. Bring them closer and it starts to bunch up and they have to compete on volume instead of just space.
Exactly. Spacial effects "behind" the dry signal will always disappear more than when it's to the sides.

I'd be curious to know if this effect happened with a mono reverb.

Back
Top Bottom