Moving from Cabs to FRFR

∞Fractals

Fractal Fanatic
OK, I'm moving from a place where I could play my stereo 2x12 cabs loudly and get great toanz and no complaints from the neighbors ... to now, moving to a much quieter neighborhood and want to make the transition to FRFR to facilitate the drop in SPLs to be "good" to my ears and neighbors. Also, I'm finally ready to explore IRs. ;)

Wondering about driver sizes ... Is it possible to have both something that would work great in a studio but also be giggable (side fill, wedge monitor?). Is that asking too much of one sized FRFR? I don't gig currently, but I don't want to limit my future options.

Suggestions? Budget is ~$2k+/-

I ended up getting a 10" XiTone wedge to move away from my cabs and it has far surpassed my expectations. Very mic friendly at home and for gigging. Now, a 10" may not be your cup of tea if you need a 2x12 to hang live, but you can chain them and if you got 2 of the 2" wedges, I imagine you'd be in great shape to use 1 at home/studio and add the other for live (if they're not micing).

Hey $2k will get you anything you want! Xitone, CLR, ASM12, FR10/FR12...

I have a pair of the 1st generation CLR Neos, and I love them. Wide sweet spot and very accurate. For better or worse, they'll reveal just how good or bad you are at making presets, lol. When I first got mine, they revealed just how crummy my presets were. FWIW, the 1st gen had complaints about reliability, but Atomic has since released CLR Neo mk2. I don't know enough about the mk2 to comment on the reliability.

Xitone is on my future shopping list. They have an exemplary track record if you search around this forum.

I have the non-neo CLR's. I love them. The NEO's are a bit lighter, but didn't care about that (and the regulars are quite a bit cheaper.)

I put everything through them (keys, Vox, play-along music) and they sound great. Did I say loud?

Used to run one behind me as a dedicated monitor, and one in front of me with a bit of guitar in there plus my vocal's.

my jbl812xp's paired with the axe are simply sublime...probably the best soundwise

What are you referring to here?
SRX812 or PRX812?

I own the SRX812, and I would not call them 'the best'. Be careful with that phrase unless you have tried/tested all other single 12" options....

srx...i've tried and tested 100s of cabinets in my day...i haven't tested all the cabs mentioned...i wasnt disparaging...
i know what i know and the jbls are an amalgam of crown amplification, jbl transducers and dbx technology.
i've built a dozen hi end audio systems in my day...i know good sound...with all due respect, why do i need to careful?

For a few weeks I've been playing with 2 EV ZLX12P, and I thought it sounded great. But, I've had two shows with a matrix gt800fx and 2 2x12 harley benton with beyma 12ga50 speakers and it's amazing. Volume leftovers, cut the mix like never before, sounds amp like never before. And the second hand price for the poweramp and the two 2x12 does not exceed the 850 dollars. The weight of the matrix is ridiculous for the power it offers, and the HBs weigh less than any 2x12 you have had before. I recommend this rig

novato77,
I was thinking about doing this with a light stereo 2x12 cabinet with 2 beyma 12ga50's and a duncan power stage 700 power amp. Can you tell a little more about your experience with the beyma's? Do they sound generally full range? In other words, how do cab sims sound through them? I run the ax8 full range on stage with alto's, but it would be nice to have one guitaristic stereo cabinet that is full range for monitoring and stage fill.
Any extra comments would be great.
Thanks!

So to make this even more difficult - are there any of these gigging 10"-12" solutions that would also do well in a studio environment as mix monitors? Or is better just to not try to make one box do it all e.g. go with a traditional studio FRFR monitor like Genelec, Focal, Dynaudio, etc for desk monitoring/mixing? (like near-fields/mid-fields?)

So to make this even more difficult - are there any of these gigging 10"-12" solutions that would also do well in a studio environment as mix monitors? Or is better just to not try to make one box do it all e.g. go with a traditional studio FRFR monitor like Genelec, Focal, Dynaudio, etc for desk monitoring/mixing? (like near-fields/mid-fields?)

The only FRFR solution that I've tried that works both as a live monitor and as a mix monitor is the CLR.
Search this forum for my review of the CLRs, where this (and many other uses for the CLRs) are specifically addressed.

CLRs make good reference monitors, BUT just be aware that there are logistical issues. They are huge compared to nearfields. These babies aren't going to fit on a desk. You'll need pole stands or some other stands. I tried it once (using small end tables as stands), and while it sounded good, it was impractical for me to set them up for studio and tear it all down to bring to band practice/gigs. If you can live with that, the CLRs are a good solution for all your needs--wedge, backline, studio monitor. Heck, if you had the money, they would absolutely decimate as a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

edit:
Just remembered the budget... :oops: $2k won't get a pair of CLRs unless you find a deal on some used ones.

Last edited:
srx...i've tried and tested 100s of cabinets in my day...i haven't tested all the cabs mentioned...i wasnt disparaging...
i know what i know and the jbls are an amalgam of crown amplification, jbl transducers and dbx technology.
i've built a dozen hi end audio systems in my day...i know good sound...with all due respect, why do i need to careful?
Because the term "Best" is highly subjective and very personal, that's why...and others will usually feel very differently about what's best for them, after comparisons.

Perfect example right here:
"Fractal Audio is best"
"Kemper Audio is best"

1000 people in each forum will say each is best...so, does that mean 1000 people are right and 1000 people wrong?

Correctly put now..."Fractal Audio is best - FOR ME". Now it's no longer subjective.

Appears that Atomic CLR mk ll neos are $1k ea for active.

Xitones too seem to be reasonable w/ passive at $500 ea. And $900 for active 1x12.

I already own a matrix gt1000fx so might look at passive options (don't see them on the Atomic website). Not sure they work well together? Any thoughts?

Because the term "Best" is highly subjective and very personal, that's why...and others will usually feel very differently about what's best for them, after comparisons.

Perfect example right here:
"Fractal Audio is best"
"Kemper Audio is best"

1000 people in each forum will say each is best...so, does that mean 1000 people are right and 1000 people wrong?

Correctly put now..."Fractal Audio is best - FOR ME". Now it's no longer subjective.
don't misquote me...i said probably the best....

...i haven't tested all the cabs mentioned....
Then how do you know the SRX are probably the best?

SteveW already stated....saying 'probably the best', when you openly stated that you haven't tried all the cabs, just doesn't make sense and may cause people to not take your post seriously. That is why I say be careful. If you want people to get an understanding of the value of the SRX, then tell them why....don't just say they're 'probably the best'. Because that point can be argued for days.

Yes, we're nit picking your wording a bit....just trying to keep the conversation honest and accurate.

Now for my opinion:
I love the JBL SRX gear. I own SRX812, SRX722, SRX718 and SRX728. But are those SRX812's the best with the Axe....not to my ears.
I prefer the Atomic CLR over the SRX812 for Axe duty. I still like the SRX812 quite a bit....but the CLR is clearer and flatter to me.

I also compared the SRX812 to the RCF NX24L in my studio last week for FOH duty. The RCF NX24L sounded cleaner and fuller.

Appears that Atomic CLR mk ll neos are $1k ea for active.

Xitones too seem to be reasonable w/ passive at $500 ea. And $900 for active 1x12.

I already own a matrix gt1000fx so might look at passive options (don't see them on the Atomic website). Not sure they work well together? Any thoughts?

I thought I heard that Atomic stopped making the Passives? Or maybe that was the 'cab' style?

XiTone will work well with the Matrix. Mick loads his active cabs with the Matrix amps. The old XiTones used the same amp as (one half) of the GT1000....but I believe his new ones have some new DSP, etc. They still work/sound excellent with the 'simple' Matrix amps.
Me and my guitar player use XiTones with a Crown iTech and they sound excellent as well.

Back
Top Bottom