Moving from a FX8 to Axe 3 Question (Drives)

tonejunkie

Questions:
How different do you think the drives will feel compared to the FX8?
Are the drives easier to dial in?
Are the compressors any different? (I love the studio compressor in the FX8!)

My reasons for moving to a Axe 3 are for more flexibility in routing effects with a grid, having more blocks available per scene, and the opportunity to be more creative with my sound. I will be using it mostly in front of a tube amp for effects but may use amp modeling in the studio.

Here is a video of my band this last week... It was the FX8 using the Fulldrive model and Analog delay model into a Dumble clone (clean). If you have suggestions on you favorite drives for this kind of sound that would be awesome. I have only had my FX8 for 5 months and I picked the Fulldrive because I thought is sounded the best without much tweaking... When I listened to the recording is sounds a bit fuzzy...

If you want to use your amps along side the effects, the FX8 is way better at that. If you want the axe fx 3 for the amp modeling along side the effects, then it will excel at that. The drives just got completely re done and are better imo in the axe fx 3 currently. Everything you love currently on the fx8 (minus using it with an amp) will be the same or better on the 3.

If you want to use your amps along side the effects, the FX8 is way better at that.

Really?
I use the AxeIII with an Amp and it works and sounds freakin awesome. I have an Atomic CLR alongside a Mesa and run them both off the same preset. The grid row with the Mesa doesn't have amp or cab in it while the Atomic does and I get some great 'Blends'.
Can't see why the FX8 could be "way better".

Last edited:
If you want to use your amps along side the effects, the FX8 is way better at that.
I'm going to disagree on this one. The III works beautifully with amps, as did its predecessor, and allows for even more routing and effects than the FX8 does. It might possibly be overkill for effects-only, but you won't be compromising choosing the III over an FX8 here.

Thanks for the input guys! So it sounds like there is some difference in feel but maybe no difference in how you dial them in. Well I'm on the waiting list and it looks like that may take a bit especially for the fc6 so I may be using the FX8 for quite some time.

I too have to disagree on that.

I've sold my Axe II's, AX8 and FX8 in favor of the Axe III and use it both with the amp sims and with tube amps, and IMHO the Axe III is better than any of the previous generations, great as they all are, including the FX8 for many reasons, including
-Drives are updated and clearly better
-Verbs and IIRC delays are different and higher quality on the Axe III
-Way more CPU = you can have more effects in a preset, kitchen-sink presets possible
-Routing and I/O options are better
-Interface is better
-FW upgrades are flying out of Cliff at the moment and will continue to push the Axe III further and further ahead of the legacy FAS product and competing brands products (as if there are any real competitors to FAS).

Now, the FX8 is no slouch has a great form factor and would serve most of us no problem, but the Axe III is better from a sonic and usability standpoint IMO, unless the form factor of the FX8 is the deciding factor, as the Axe III is obviously bigger, rack format and you'll need a foot controller for it.

Back
Top Bottom