Moving for the summer...want to bring the Axe..thoughts?

tfodor

Inspired
Hey guys,

Broke college student here who got a job writing music out west this summer. What's the best/cheapest way to get my Axe II out to San Fran? I was going to bring it as my carry on. Can it go through the scanner? I can also ship it but it will cost about $80... thoughts?

Can't get cheaper or lower-risk than carry-on. The scanner won't hurt it.

I must agree with Rex on this. Just bring it as a carry-on and tell the security officer what it is. Plan for an extra 15 minute delay and you won't be stressed getting to your plane as they run some tests on it.

I've taken tons of gear through security checks. It is a small extra hassle.

There was just a TSA nightmare thread the other day...

I would ship it insured for the full replacement value.

Maybe not the cheapest or fastest option, but DEFINITELY the safest.

Until Fedex or UPS or whoever the carrier is botches the shipment, asserts that your packaging was negligent, and denies your claim...

Personally, I'd feel safer with the carry-on. I'd first check airline rules for any restrictions.

As I recall, the TSA nightmare thread had to do with checked luggage, not carry on. Big difference. ;)

Carry on. Get a padded rack bag, or make something protective out of a yoga mat or such. Bring a marketing printout along to show the TSA; a little groveling to their authority is worth it if it greases your way to an uneventful trip with Axe-FX safely in hand at your destination.

And college student, broke or not… you've got an Axe while you're still in school; you definitely have your priorities straight! More power to you, and have a great summer.

(Reminds me of flying from Seattle to my first year at Brown with my precious ARP 2600 synth in the belly of a 747… a little too big for carry on. Many years ago. I had my priorities straight, too.)

Back it all up then carry it on.

"I would not let ups ship a bowling ball."

Fed Ex evidently broke a 5500 dollar amp that was shipped back too the original owner
It was in an avil case and the original owner did not file insurance with Fed ex
he had ebay and paypal reverse the charges causing both of my accounts to be closed.
its a wonderful life indeed....

Now I cant fault Fed Ex because the buyer insisted in using his personal account.
You take your chances with any of them now..
I had planned to use Fed ex myself but you see what happens.

I have no idea where the amp is now $5500
you decide carry on or ship with fed ex or ups.

I know what id do carry it on.

You "take" something with you. You can ask someone to "bring" something for you! You can't "bring" something with you!

"Bring" has got to be the most misused word of them all. I see it butchered all the time! lol

You "take" something with you. You can ask someone to "bring" something for you! You can't "bring" something with you!

"Bring" has got to be the most misused word of them all. I see it butchered all the time! lol

huh, look at that. It's funny because I consider myself a bit of a grammar Nazi.

Disagree. It's a frame of reference thing. When I go to the supermarket, i will take my wallet. When I come home, I will bring milk. You TAKE things there. You BRING things here.

Back
Top Bottom