Moving a CPU Out of A Control Room/Studio

la szum

Axe-Master
I am considering the long-term solution of moving my CPU completely
out of the control room/studio and into a separate room like I see a lot
of professional recording studios do. My question is about USB connections.
I know there is a limit on their length when dealing with audio. Has anyone
else done this at the home/hobby level? If so, what did you use?

I didn't go quite that far, maybe 25 feet or so. Didn't do anything except run the cables, no issues. I was only doing mouse and keyboard though, not audio. Audio was Paris proprietary cables.

That was long ago and far away... These days my laptop is in the room with me, which sucks, but it's what I got.

Thanks so much! Always a lot to learn, and everyone here is so eager to help.

Appreciate it so much I'd be willing to share the Chicken Curry I am going to
dive into here in a bit. :)

I moved my tower into an adjacent room last year with no issues, but cables are only 15ft max. Love having a dead quiet studio control room!

You paved the way, Brother!! :)

Can't wait to get there myself. I saw way too many studio tours and breakdowns
where they showed the towers (or rows of towers!!) isolated in separate rooms.

Did you go through a wall, by chance?

Yes went right through the wall! Small piece of pipe/conduit to fish cables through and tightened it up with some fabric insulation around the cables. Zero sound travel between the 2 rooms.

Are we talking about moving Axe audio over USB over an extender?

I'd send the Axe into the same room as the PC as that thing aint silent either.

You paved the way, Brother!! :)

Can't wait to get there myself. I saw way too many studio tours and breakdowns
where they showed the towers (or rows of towers!!) isolated in separate rooms.

Did you go through a wall, by chance?
Wellllllll, when I put my "studio" together, part of that was having a double wall built to make a "soundproof" room out of half my basement. Not only did I have to run audio through the wall (both directions), and USB, and video, but also ventilation, which was the trickiest part. AC outside the room, air piped through a cabinet with maze-like routing inside it, and in and out openings with baffles inside the room.

So, I ran all the cables through a similarly winding set of non-aligned openings in the two wall layers. PITA to fish everything through, or to change anything, but pretty effective by my relatively low budget standards.

Also, not relevant to this discussion, but there's two tons of sand between the studio ceiling and the living room floor above, to dampen resonances that made it transparent at low frequencies. Whole thing was kind of a production actually. I felt like I had more disposable income back then...

Also, not relevant to this discussion, but there's two tons of sand between the studio ceiling and the living room floor above, to dampen resonances that made it transparent at low frequencies. Whole thing was kind of a production actually. I felt like I had more disposable income back then...
Sand? Having worked on some multi-family jobs where the buildings need sound-isolation between walls and floors, I've seen many different methods used to accomplish this, but never sand. You mentioned the weight, so you're aware of it, but that seems scary to me.

The weight is the point, mass. That's what stops low frequencies. Ceiling hasn't fallen in, yet, knock stuff.

The project was designed by Michael Blackmer, who you probably haven't heard of, but he's done some big league stuff. My project was a little moonlighting from his real life, built mostly by his brother Eric.

Hi @la noise ,
My pc used to drive me bonkers with its fan noise! I’ve just built a pc with a fanless power supply, a large diameter slooow running cpu fan, and same for the case. Absolutely quiet. Don’t know if you thought of that but worth mentioning. I have it under the table that holds the mixing desk, and I honestly cannot hear it (above the subwoofer and monitor transformers, axe fx fan, and mixing desk fan.)
I’m not sure I could hear it even with everything else turned off!
Thanks
Pauly

[

QUOTE="la noise, post: 2166138, member: 78415"]
I am considering the long-term solution of moving my CPU completely
out of the control room/studio and into a separate room like I see a lot
of professional recording studios do. My question is about USB connections.
I know there is a limit on their length when dealing with audio. Has anyone
else done this at the home/hobby level? If so, what did you use?
[/QUOTE]

Wellllllll, when I put my "studio" together, part of that was having a double wall built to make a "soundproof" room out of half my basement. Not only did I have to run audio through the wall (both directions), and USB, and video, but also ventilation, which was the trickiest part. AC outside the room, air piped through a cabinet with maze-like routing inside it, and in and out openings with baffles inside the room.

So, I ran all the cables through a similarly winding set of non-aligned openings in the two wall layers. PITA to fish everything through, or to change anything, but pretty effective by my relatively low budget standards.

Ok, I think you are obligated to share more details about this. Sounds epic! :)

Back
Top Bottom