Movie Review: Nobody

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Nobody stars Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul, The Great English Baking Show, Dora the Explorer) as Keanu Reeve's brother Hutch Wick. Russian mobsters break into Hutch's house and kill his puppy or something like that.

Turns out Hutch is a former member of the assassin's guild or something like that. Hutch has sworn off that former life but is dragged back into it and exacts his revenge on the Russian mob.

The plot revolves around, uh, well, Hutch killing Russian mobsters. I imagine the screenplay goes something like this:

Scene 1:
Hutch is on a bus and Russian mobsters come aboard. He kills them all.

Scene 2:
Hutch is in his house and Russian mobsters break in. He kills them all.

Scene 3:
Hutch is at the factory and Russian mobsters break in. He kills them all.

As you can see the plot is intricate and filled with nuance and unique twists. One of these unique twists is that Hutch is married to Wonder Woman's mother. She has no idea Hutch is a killing machine in a 5' 8" 146 lb. frame. But he is. Despite his diminutive size he is able to throw 250 lb. muscle-bound goons through windows and withstand blows to the head.

Another nuance is that a 72 Dodge Challenger with a 4.9 liter V8 is considered bad-ass despite the fact that 72 Dodge Challengers were rated in cubic inches and Dodge never made a 4.9 liter V8 and even if they did in 1972 it would've been about as fast as a John Deere.

Christopher Lloyd (Battlestar Galactica, The Color Purple, Showgirls) stars as Hutch's father and is also a killing machine despite using a walker with tennis ball on the front legs and needing frequent insulin injections.

If you are in the mood for a cerebral story with multiple plot twists and unexpected turns (i.e. a bad guy gets shot in the back just as he is about to shoot the hero) then Hutch Wick iV is the movie for you.

Liked it, was entertained.. I laughed when he said "I hope these assholes like hospital food." or something like that lol.

Reactions: rog
Didn't like it at all. When I heard that someone associated with making the movie was involved with the John Wick franchise I was hopefully. Nothing about the movie was likeable to me.

I was confused about the car as well. I've wanted a Challenger since I first saw Vanishing Point.
This was not that car!

The hypothetical engine being able to smoke the tires was about as believable as Tom Cruise casting himself as 6 foot 5 280 pound killing machine Jack Reacher.

Last edited:
It’s going to be hard to beat this movie.

It’s John Wick for the tired working class. It throws realism out of the window, and replaces it with hilariously over the top spectacle and set to a better score somehow. Odenkirk is father of the year.

It’s like the perfect “mediocre” movie, but it does everything better than what came before. It’s violent, stylish, there’s even some brutal gore. Don’t even get me started on the comedic timing. It’s amazing. Not mediocre at all.

There is no: “all hope is lost moment” everytime you settle in for the familiar it says: “fugg it” and has more fun. Tropes are introduced but cast aside. It never stops. It’s just great.

Didn’t know what to expect, but with the intro I assumed it would be soooo subpar. I was very wrong. What a great movie to return to theaters for. Watch it. Watch it twice.

PS - Finally, a fight that is actually anything but one-sided. That fight on the bus was amazing. Nice to see how limited space can’t keep one from getting hit, no matter how skilled he is. He was punched, stabbed, kicked, and thrown out of a window. Nice to see the hero take some damage for a change.

But seriously, I went in knowing nothing and was entertained. Once I realized it wasn't a cereberal film, it was all good man.

I struggle with that so much. My son has to constantly remind me to suspend my disbelief and tells me, "It's a movie, Dad."

I guess I do better with straight up sci-fi and fantasy. I know going in that "realism" is off the table.

That said, the fascination with whacking hundreds of "bad guys" who all have poor timing and bad aim, on top of the
car chases, and flash bombs every 45 seconds, is seldom my idea of a good time.

The hypothetical engine being able to smoke the tires was about as believable as Tom Cruise casting himself as 6 foot 5 280 pound killing machine Jack Reacher.

Screeching tires on wet pavement, in a downpour, is the best!! ;)

Nice to see the hero take some damage for a change.

For a change? :)

The sheer violence many of the heroes bounce back from, and still find a way to keep
on going is pretty much par for the course. Pretty sure John Wick fell off a multi-story building
onto pavement and walked away. Albeit with a slight limp. Tweaked his ankle on the landing. :)

Hollywood and male heroes owes a massive debt to Stallone and those Rocky movies
where a 5'8" dude weighing maybe 190lbs took massive shots to the head from guys
who outweighed by 50 to 100 lbs. Heroes taking inhuman damage and somehow getting
off the mat is about as much of a Hollywood action movie trope as any that has existed.

Oh, and no one likes to watch a movie with me. I wonder why??? :)

Back
Top Bottom