Not a Bug Movement of columns and rows

jordikt

Experienced
Grabbing the handle of an empty column and moving it to the left or right, it doesn't respect the connection of the blocks.

For example, the cab block should keep connected to the amp block here, but they disconnect each other:

mvoe 2.gif

However, the vertical movement works fine for the connection:

move vertical.gif

But as you can see the row of the amp goes 1 row down, and it shouldn't.

If I repeat the action in this way, everything goes fine:

vertical 2.gif

Looks like first clip you are moving empty row/column that is not connected. Try moving row/column with blocks in it.

For example, click row with cab 1a and drag that instead of moving an empty column.

Thanks for your report, @jordikt but this has in fact always been the case, as the movement of block, rows and connections is far more complicated than this example represents.

Last edited:
Looks like first clip you are moving empty row/column that is not connected. Try moving row/column with blocks in it.

For example, click row with cab 1a and drag that instead of moving an empty column.

EDIT: I still love you @CraigP , but I think the bug is still there... :)

Last edited:
EDIT:
Maybe my enthusiasm is faster than my reasoning...?

Anyway, I think the bug is in horizontal movements (moving blocks or columns), compared to vertical movements when there are empty cells, empty columns, or empty rows.

Here I do all possible vertical movements, moving blocks and rows. Connection is never broken, even with 2 empty rows between blocks:

Vertical.gif

Here I do all possible horizontal movements. The connection is always broken:

h1.gif

h2.gif

h3.gif

h4.gif

@Admin M@ is that the correct behaviour?

Last edited:
It's correct, though it's not immediately intuitive. The horizontal drag is moving the effect block to another block that is undefined and when the block positions are swapped you get the gap. If you add a shunt to the destination block it'll work the way you're expecting. An argument could be made that Edit (or the modeler) should be smart enough to know that the connection should/could be maintained and prompt for which action should occur. FM3-Edit is better behaved this way than Axe-Edit III, which breaks all connectors between the blocks when you move a row up or down.

There are a number of other wish requests for the editors asking for modifier keys to maintain the connections or ways to move blocks en masse. I think Fractal will get there, they've been cranking out Ares and now Cygnus, but with Cygnus sounding so good I'm hopeful they'll take a breather and focus on the interfaces for a while. Maybe every other quarter do one or the other?

Last edited:
It's correct, though it's not immediately intuitive. The horizontal drag is moving the effect block to another block that is undefined and when the block positions are swapped you get the gap. If you add a shunt to the destination block it'll work the way you're expecting. An argument could be made that Edit (or the modeler) should be smart enough to know that the connection should/could be maintained. FM3-Edit is better behaved this way than Axe-Edit III, which breaks all connectors between the blocks when you move a row up or down.

There are a number of other wish requests for the editors asking for modifier keys or ways to move blocks en masse. I think Fractal will get there, they've been cranking out Ares and now Cygnus, but with Cygnus sounding so good I'm hopeful they'll take a breather and focus on the interfaces for a while. Maybe every other quarter do one or the other?

Well noted that's not a bug. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom