• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Moved My Setup, Now Sounds Muffled

jw3571

Inspired
So I had to rearrange my Axe setup and moved my Presonnus Sceptre 8 monitors into a corner. Since i've done that, all my presets sound muffled. Do I need to go through each one to try to fix this or is there something I should do in my global settings?

lwknives

Experienced
If you re adjust based on having your monitors in a corner your presets will sound thin on properly set up systems. Speaker placement is very important! So is room treatment!

Jason Scott

Power User
So I had to rearrange my Axe setup and moved my Presonnus Sceptre 8 monitors into a corner. Since i've done that, all my presets sound muffled. Do I need to go through each one to try to fix this or is there something I should do in my global settings?
Your presets sound muffled because lower frequencies are amplified in corners. Ideally, you want your monitors positioned approx. 1 meter away from the nearest wall, and definitely not in a corner.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
You don't want your monitors close to a wall if you can help it, and you especially don't want them in a corner.

Your monitors do have some dip switches on the back though so you can help adjust for less than desirable placements, such as by cutting the low end a bit, since the corners will over-hype the bass, however, the adjustments on the monitors can't really make up for the effects of the room, which I'm guessing isn't treated. Acoustics of an untreated room can kill certain frequency, greatly enhance others, essentially nullifying any advantage of even the best monitors.

Often I have told people don't invest in the best monitors they can buy, instead, get decent monitors, but also spend some money treating the room. Even things like simple bass traps in the corners and a few diffusion panels can make a world of difference.

Also, please don't adjust your presents based on your horrible room acoustics and poor placement. All that is going to do is cause your presents to sound exceptionally thin and/or very harsh and bright on other playback systems. If you don't know what your patches accurately sound like, then you can't make any objective tweaks to them.

jw3571

Inspired
I don't really have a choice of where they are going, they have to go in the corner so i'm trying to make the best of it.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
If you can't control your placement, you might be better served by dare I say it, headphones, which will at least get rid of most of the room issues. Baring that, I'd treat the room acoustically, and perhaps invest in a room correction software...

Your Scepters are great monitors, I have the S6's on my desk, since I didn't have a room big enough for the 8's, but by putting them in the corner your essentially throwing money away. All that accuracy your paying for is going out the window because of the room effects, and your left with something that is as accurate as a home stereo speaker you can get at Best Buy

Are your speakers on your desk?
If you could even just pull your desk out a foot away from the wall, that could help a lot.
Corner placement is veeeery unideal, as others have said. You get all kinds of weird low-end spikes that just sound awful.

jw3571

Inspired
No, not on a desk. There are in my family room, which is quite large, but to keep the wife happy I need them in the corner where it's not as visible.

is9582

Power User
Just for grins, have you plugged in a good set of cans, to see that your presets still sound as they used to with your speakers? I think its something I'd personally do here, if the sound changed dramatically, and I wanted to confirm it is solely speaker placement. Just a thought.

Jason Scott

Power User
There are in my family room, which is quite large, but to keep the wife happy I need them in the corner where it's not as visible.
That sucks. I'd recommend a good pair of neutral headphones then. I'd recommend something like the Sennheiser HD600's or some such.

electronpirate

I'll bet you are further away from them. It sounded good when they were right in your face, but now that you're further away, it sounds different. Make your adjustments (either sitting closer, or changing amp/cab stuff so it sounds good around where you sit/stand.)

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I'll bet you are further away from them. It sounded good when they were right in your face, but now that you're further away, it sounds different. Make your adjustments (either sitting closer, or changing amp/cab stuff so it sounds good around where you sit/stand.)

Also a good point, that is the reason they call them "near-field" monitors. Its kind of like the next step up from having monitors strapped to your ears, aka headphones, but the typical desktop "studio" monitor isn't designed to fill the room or be listened to at a distance. Generally you want the distance your listening to them from to be about equal to the distance they are apart, and usually that is about 4-6 feet for that size monitor to get the best stereo sound field and seperation

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Unless the speaker is a subwoofer...
If your doing it for more "rumble" for your home theater system sure, otherwise no, still a bad idea (as are subs for the most part with home monitor setups)

Sub in the corner is going to be affected just like any other speaker in the corner, overly hyped low end, so your basically compounding the typical issue most home recording enthusiast run into when they add a sub...too much bass.

9 out of 10 people tend to dial in their sub far too hot, because they dial it in to the point where they can just tell it working, meaning, they hear/feel the extra low-end, but, in most cases that level where you start to perceive it actually means its too much. Now it certainly might sound good, but, your then making mix decisions on a system that sounds fuller than it actually is. Sounds great at home, but then play it on other system, without overly hyped low end and it sounds super thin.

The point of a studio sub is just to help reproduce the lows, not to make it sound like your in a club. Obviously if one is buying a sub for home theater or gaming purposes, knock yourself out, make that thing rumble if like, put in the corner etc, but do realize your not getting an accurate reproduction of your mix.

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
The point of a studio sub is just to help reproduce the lows, not to make it sound like your in a club. Obviously if one is buying a sub for home theater or gaming purposes, knock yourself out, make that thing rumble if like, put in the corner etc, but do realize your not getting an accurate reproduction of your mix.
Unless of course, you are mixing club music. Then you need to be able to accurately simulate the rumble your listeners are going to hear, so that you can properly compensate for it with EQ and track volume choices. Otherwise you can adjust conservatively and have people say it sounds bass starved in the club or go in the opposite direction and have a tubby mess happening in the club.

JJunkie

Power User
The op didnt actually say he is recordung or creating patches to play out. If he is just playing at home for fun then he just needs to redial the tones so they sound good in his living room. Simple. His wife wants to hide the speakers so introducing acoustic foam and bass traps is not an option.

dongzo

Experienced
Maybe you are better of with headphones and the waves NX virtual mix room plugin.
Im using that combo in the late evenings to please my wife. I allways hated that claustrophobic headphone feeling, but the plugin really gets you back into "the room". It's a no brainer to use, especially if you have one of the headsets in the preset list.
Not the real thing, but works for me :)

link: https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room

Top Bottom