Moved house.. patches sound bassy/boomy.. how did you address this? (Yamaha HS7’s)

Georgy

Inspired
My fellow Fractal-lites.. I’m sure this has been addressed before.. apologies if so.

I’ve just moved house. My setup is in my study. If it helps, here’s a pic of the room, just to give you guys an indication of layout and so forth. There’s carpet, there’s curtains/blinds, and there’s a cupboard which you cannot see in the photo.

I’m using Yamaha HS7’s which are centred to the room as per the pic below. I’ve got multiple setups:
  • Axe FX 3 (amp sims + the Yamaha HS7’s)
  • Wizard amp + 2x12 cab
  • Wizard amp + Suhr Reactive Load + Axe FX 3 + Yamaha HS7s.

Somehow, most of my patches sound kinda boomy (more boomy than bassy) and for some reason, whilst I’m playing a lot artist-style patches, mainly patches that have been created by @2112, @Burgs, @ProgressiveRocco, everything kinda blends and sounds kinda the same. I know it’s not the patches because in the previous house everything sounded better. I am using both standard and aftermarket IRs but regardless of this, whilst I could change cabs/IRs and alter some patches etc, it’s a ‘band aid’ fix, it's not a proper fix.

Looking for some guidance and advice from anyone who has experienced this before, and what did you do to resolve the issue? I strongly want to avoid editing and changing patches, I’d rather look at other options if possible. Should I place something under the Yamaha HS7's to reduce some of that boominess?

NOTE, it might be a bit of a challenge to convince wifey to allow me to put up some of those acoustic foam panels, but if I have to, d_mn it I will!! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 77459

139818680_2800435056873689_2887943000937951537_n.jpg

Your picture doesn't really show that much of the room so it's really hard to say. Most likely it happens to be of the right size / shape / etc to reinforce some of the bass frequencies. Or your previous room happened to reduce them.

(edit: I see Cliff just beat me to it!)

I've had to deal with the same problem. After moving, everything that sounded ok before was sounding way too muddy. I've been able to make improvements by building some bass traps to put in the corners. I still have to make two more but haven't been able to get to it yet. If I play a sine wave in a certain frequency and walk into one of the untreated corners, I can hear that it's way too loud. As a temporary solution, I'm making a few small cuts in the global eq until I can add more bass traps.

Can you post more pics of the room and also the monitor setup? The monitor positioning can also be a factor.

You can go on youtube and play sine waves of different frequencies (the real problems are mostly in the lower frequencies). Walk around your room and hear how the sound increases or decreases and it will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. The solution for me was bass traps, and then Sonarworks room correction.

Yea. Bass traps for sure. I have the same issue in my "music" shed. I'm not sure how much difference cheap foam ones will do though.

My fellow Fractal-lites.. I’m sure this has been addressed before.. apologies if so.

I’ve just moved house. My setup is in my study. If it helps, here’s a pic of the room, just to give you guys an indication of layout and so forth. There’s carpet, there’s curtains/blinds, and there’s a cupboard which you cannot see in the photo.

I’m using Yamaha HS7’s which are centred to the room as per the pic below. I’ve got multiple setups:
  • Axe FX 3 (amp sims + the Yamaha HS7’s)
  • Wizard amp + 2x12 cab
  • Wizard amp + Suhr Reactive Load + Axe FX 3 + Yamaha HS7s.

Somehow, most of my patches sound kinda boomy (more boomy than bassy) and for some reason, whilst I’m playing a lot artist-style patches, mainly patches that have been created by @2112, @Burgs, @ProgressiveRocco, everything kinda blends and sounds kinda the same. I know it’s not the patches because in the previous house everything sounded better. I am using both standard and aftermarket IRs but regardless of this, whilst I could change cabs/IRs and alter some patches etc, it’s a ‘band aid’ fix, it's not a proper fix.

Looking for some guidance and advice from anyone who has experienced this before, and what did you do to resolve the issue? I strongly want to avoid editing and changing patches, I’d rather look at other options if possible. Should I place something under the Yamaha HS7's to reduce some of that boominess?

NOTE, it might be a bit of a challenge to convince wifey to allow me to put up some of those acoustic foam panels, but if I have to, d_mn it I will!! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 77459

View attachment 77460
Where are your monitors placed? Keep them away from corners and possibly from walls. Also place them so that they're equidistant from the two side walls but not centered in height (iow distance from ceiling and floor should be different), then make sure that your listening spot is not at the exact geometric center of the room.

There are websites that you can use to actually see the room response based on room size. And as others have said, sweep a sine wave through 20-500Hz seated in your listening position and you will hear the problem frequencies.

Don't bother with the thin acoustic foam on the walls until you have treated the corners with proper bass traps. I built mine after watching youtube videos. All the material is readily available from Lowe's or HD. The cool thing about bass traps is they not only help with bass (which the thin foam don't), but they also help reduce mid and high reflections.

Where are your monitors placed? Keep them away from corners and possibly from walls. Also place them so that they're equidistant from the two side walls but not centered in height (iow distance from ceiling and floor should be different), then make sure that your listening spot is not at the exact geometric center of the room.

The Yamaha manual recommends a minimum of 5' away from walls and corners. I can attest that my HS8s got really boomy against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom