Moved house.. patches sound bassy/boomy.. how did you address this? (Yamaha HS7’s)

Your cab is backed up against the wall. That will make it boomy. It's also next do your desk. That means it's in a corner, and that will make it even more boomy.

Room modes, reflection, etc...

As an example I have a HUGE 12db spike around 100hz in my room (measured with Sonarworks).
Sooner or later I'll have to address it with treatment but for now I'll get by using the aforementioned Sonarworks and the Axe Fx II global eq.

As suggested by other people try a website with a movable sine wave and try to see at which frequency its volume gets way louder.

Lots of good suggestions here.

Another option if you want something a little less analytical on your end: Auralex offers a free service where you provide them with information about your space and they recommend how to treat it for your use case. I've used this service several times with great success, and I've recommended it to others who have had good results as well. There's a note on the page about results taking longer than usual due to present circumstances, but I'd still highly recommend it. They will be able to give you recommendations on how to treat your specific space, how to arrange your gear / room layout for the best results, and what type(s) of treatment you'll need to address your concerns. Here is a link to the site:

https://auralex.com/p-raf-personalized-room-analysis/

Lots of good suggestions here.

Another option if you want something a little less analytical on your end: Auralex offers a free service where you provide them with information about your space and they recommend how to treat it for your use case. I've used this service several times with great success, and I've recommended it to others who have had good results as well. There's a note on the page about results taking longer than usual due to present circumstances, but I'd still highly recommend it. They will be able to give you recommendations on how to treat your specific space, how to arrange your gear / room layout for the best results, and what type(s) of treatment you'll need to address your concerns. Here is a link to the site:

https://auralex.com/p-raf-personalized-room-analysis/
Let them analyze your room, but for God's sake, stay away from their bass traps.

My fellow Fractal-lites.. I’m sure this has been addressed before.. apologies if so.

I’ve just moved house. My setup is in my study. If it helps, here’s a pic of the room, just to give you guys an indication of layout and so forth. There’s carpet, there’s curtains/blinds, and there’s a cupboard which you cannot see in the photo.

I’m using Yamaha HS7’s which are centred to the room as per the pic below. I’ve got multiple setups:
  • Axe FX 3 (amp sims + the Yamaha HS7’s)
  • Wizard amp + 2x12 cab
  • Wizard amp + Suhr Reactive Load + Axe FX 3 + Yamaha HS7s.

Somehow, most of my patches sound kinda boomy (more boomy than bassy) and for some reason, whilst I’m playing a lot artist-style patches, mainly patches that have been created by @2112, @Burgs, @ProgressiveRocco, everything kinda blends and sounds kinda the same. I know it’s not the patches because in the previous house everything sounded better. I am using both standard and aftermarket IRs but regardless of this, whilst I could change cabs/IRs and alter some patches etc, it’s a ‘band aid’ fix, it's not a proper fix.

Looking for some guidance and advice from anyone who has experienced this before, and what did you do to resolve the issue? I strongly want to avoid editing and changing patches, I’d rather look at other options if possible. Should I place something under the Yamaha HS7's to reduce some of that boominess?

NOTE, it might be a bit of a challenge to convince wifey to allow me to put up some of those acoustic foam panels, but if I have to, d_mn it I will!! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 77459

View attachment 77460
What are the dimensions of the room?

Maybe start out trying just 2 bass traps..one in each top corner at one wall...and take it from there.
You would be surprised how much it helps.
After a couple of days when your wife starts talking to you again... you can always sneak in a few more if needed ;)

Short term: Use the output EQ to remove some of the boom.

Longer term: probably need to analyse the room to select some bass traps....
Another solution, he could get an auto correcting EQ, I believe Behringer makes an affordable one, where it does an auto tune on the room using a mic, and comes up with a many-band EQ curve to correct. That would be installed on the output of his monitors.

I've never done this in a home studio, but its common in car audio.

Edit: Oops, hes playing it through a guitar cab, I thought he was using studio monitors.

Bass traps, and until then even cloth curtains behind your speakers. Cloth furniture and of course wall acoustic treatment. If you have t done any of this yet, try adjusting the distance of your cabs/ monitors to the rear wall for the time being

Bad room shapes are a problem even with treatments and EQ correction. Get a room that is perfectly cube shaped, and you will never be able to correct the issues...unless you change the shape of the room, avoid parallel walls and ceiling, etc.

I'd start with bass traps, especially in corners, but don't expect miracles particularly if the room shape is close to square or cube. EQ correction can help a bit, but only if you are planning on listening in the exact location where you placed the mic during correction, and only if the correction can modify EQ to the extent and precision that it needs to. And that can be a lot harder than you'd think.

PS - bass traps have to be BIG to trap bass. And material matters, too. Putting 3" foam on the walls in the corners won't do it.

Bad room shapes are a problem even with treatments and EQ correction. Get a room that is perfectly cube shaped, and you will never be able to correct the issues...unless you change the shape of the room, avoid parallel walls and ceiling, etc.

I'd start with bass traps, especially in corners, but don't expect miracles particularly if the room shape is close to square or cube. EQ correction can help a bit, but only if you are planning on listening in the exact location where you placed the mic during correction, and only if the correction can modify EQ to the extent and precision that it needs to. And that can be a lot harder than you'd think.

PS - bass traps have to be BIG to trap bass. And material matters, too. Putting 3" foam on the walls in the corners won't do it.
Yup
+1MM

Several fixes-

First, it’s most likely that Zakk Wylde Bulleye that’s causing it. I’ll take one for the team and keep it at my place so your place sounds better.

Others:

Fill your room full of so much gear that all excess room sound is nullified. This is how I got away without putting any acoustic paneling in my studio, which is about 12x12. It’s so dead in that room now that when you clap, it sounds like a noise gate cranked all the way up and you only hear the initial slap then an immediate cut off. It’s more like a baby clapping.

Invite your wife to help you make the acoustic traps. You can just cut up some 2x4’s, build them into square or rectangle frames, have your wife pick out a fabric she digs, stretch the fabric over the frame and nail it into place, then stuff the inside with towels/blankets. (U-haul blankets are GREAT). She gets nice wall decorations and you get bass traps.

Some thoughts:

1) there are seriously few electronic solutions that can overcome or compensate for the Laws Of Physics. Rarely if ever works to make the source “less accurate” to improve the room acoustic.

2) source placement within the room can have HUGE impact. Experiment. You’d probably do well to get that big speaker up off the floor a few inches, and consider an “isopad” type device to decouple its LF energy from the floor.

3) where YOU listen while in the room can have equally large impact. Experiment.

4) parallel reflective surfaces (opposing walls, floor/ceiling, esp. large windows) are typically not your friend. Use furniture (bookcases, that desk, what have you) to, in effect, vary the distance between reflective surfaces. Sloppy bookcases — with some shelves left open/semi-open — are xlnt low-mid/midrange diffusers and can help improve clarity. If you can’t vary one surface then do something to it’s opposing surface.

In-depth acoustic consulting is available in exchange for that Suhr (very nice guitars, btw). Then again, all can be solved with a great set of custom IEMs...

Last edited:
If I see that right your desk is positioned in the corner of the room, and your yamaha is under the desk? You can try moving your monitors, even your desk, before buying anything.

Back
Top Bottom