Mouse Review

I retired my last Microsoft Intellimouse Optical last month. I got a Logitech ergonomic mouse. It works wired as well or wirelessly via Bluetooth and the Logitech multi-device receiver. @FractalAudio I'm with you on the batteries - this is rechargeable.

I couldn't tell you how many mice I've tried over the years and I've always ended up sticking with a Microsoft mouse of some kind until now. This Logitech mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. Your hand position on this mouse makes for a really natural transition between the mouse and keyboard. I'm pretty tough on mice and keyboard - this Logitech seems pretty well made - time will tell.
After more than a month I’m completely sold on this new mouse.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-vertical-ergonomic-mouse.910-005447.html

I’ve wondered about those. I understand what they’re designed to accomplish, but they’re different enough that there could be unexpected weirdness in oractcal use. I’m glad it’s working well for you.
The best part of it is how natural the movement from keyboard to the mouse is. It took almost no time to get used to it.

I have one of those too and absolutely hate it. It doesn't feel any more natural for my hands and hurts my shoulder worse than my trackball hurts my thumb after a long day.

Marketing. The switches probably would be good for a few million clicks if they used the correct voltage and current.

Logitech are (famously) the absolute worse at this, I've gone through 4 logitech mice in the last 2 years because I get double clicking issues.

Apparently they run the switches out of spec to save power. But they also use cheap Chinese Omron switches, they must save like 2 cents on each mouse, but imagine the RMA overheads because of this penny pinching. It's such a shame because I love their wireless tech.

Last edited:
I've gone through 4 logitech mice in the last 2 years because I get double clicking issues.

I've been using a Logitech G9 mouse for many years and have gotten very attached to it's ergonomics and feel. One of it's features is that you can customize it's weight with removable weights which I initially though was superfluous only to find that this feature provided a lot of utility.

A couple of years ago I started to get the "double click" issues and found a few how-to's to correct that without having to replace the microswitches. I painstakingly disassembled the mouse and switches, removed the springs/contacts, cleaned them, and managed to get it all back together with the proper tension/spring on the buttons (the replacement of the contact to get it to 'click' was difficult and a bit frustrating).

That all worked well up until a couple of weeks ago where I noticed it's starting to do the "double click" thing again. This time I'm going to outright replace the switches which can be found on Amazon. I like the feel of the mouse so I'm in no hurry to replace it, but wish the buttons/springs were a little more robust.

A few weeks ago, I replaced my Logitech M570 Trackball mouse with the Logitech MX Ergo Advanced Wireless Trackball 910-005178 and it has a rechargeable battery. The Logitech M570 left mouse button would usually start having issues within a year. I always buy them from Amazon and spend the extra $6 for the extended warranty. The Logitech MX Ergo was almost double the price but it feels more solid and I like that it can be tilted to adjust to my hand/wrist angle. Time will tell how long it lasts.
Going on two years here :)

Well... just over a month later and the left mouse button is now failing. Single presses sometimes register as double-clicks.

Fortunately the mouse comes with replacement switches. So I swapped it out and it's good now but we'll see. My gut tells me the problem is that the debouncing isn't being done right (or at all). Also the replacement switches are different and make a metallic "clink" when depressing the button.
I've been using Logitech mice for ages, and this is what I have written down as hacky hope-it-fixes-the-switches steps before calling support:
  1. remove batteries, click left and right mouse btns repeatedly for 15 secs
  2. replace batteries
  3. in mouse control panel, switch left and right button actions and test, in control panel and not
  4. remove receiver and reboot if you haven't already
Since adopting that strategy I haven't had a single failure that didn't fix.

Also, before that, Logitech gave me a number of replacements under warranty, including replacing a prior replacment for the same reason, but I think they've tightened up on that.

YMMV etc.

I have a Razer mouse with loads of buttons on the side. I think its the Naga. Had it for about 2 years. still going strong and no issues. Might just be lucky , I would get another one

That all worked well up until a couple of weeks ago where I noticed it's starting to do the "double click" thing again. This time I'm going to outright replace the switches which can be found on Amazon. I like the feel of the mouse so I'm in no hurry to replace it, but wish the buttons/springs were a little more robust.

Ahhhh, I finally reached the 'point of sufficient irritability' with my mouse and replaced both the switches with brand new OMROM replacements...it's awesome to have the mouse working like it's new again. I've gotten very used to it's feel and almost had a stroke when I saw how much similar new ones are.

Back in the day, I used to harvest the switches from old mechanical mice that had failed for other reasons. Those switches helped me resurrect quite a few mice whose switches had failed.

My Logitech MX Master has been all effed up lately. Internal battery is failing..more frequent recharges. Also been having odd issues with my Mac. The cursor would stop working from time to time...after a lot of sleuthing online found there is a mechanical weak point for the side thumb large button that pinches inside which disables the cursor movement. Also, now the scroll wheel has stopped working but that seems to be more software side. In Activity Monitor i have to kill the process for "logi options daemon' which seems to be a workaround. Man what a PITA. So, looks like i'll be looking for a replacement. It's too bad as I have got comfortable with this mouse but nervous to buy another now.
After reading through this thread the MX ergo with trackball caught my eye but I wonder if my thumb would get sore over time ...seems to me an unnatural movement for the thumb to be doing all the work like that.
I'm debating a magic pad 2 (apple) but worry about losing the fine/precision control for adjusting parameters on Axe edit for example. Or wondering how that would feel using it on a DAW. Any Magicpad users here on Macs?
If I used a track /magic pad for DAW i do have a Steinberg CMC-AI USB controller that has a main knob which is handy. once my cursor is placed over any parameter i can use the AI knob for precise adjustments. I wish i could use that on Axe edit

Last edited:
I'm debating a magic pad 2 (apple) but worry about losing the fine/precision control for adjusting parameters on Axe edit for example. Or wondering how that would feel using it on a DAW. Any Magicpad users here on Macs?
I have one on my iMac, and it's very accurate when adjusting knobs and settings in the *Edit apps. I also have a Magic Mouse 2, but usually keep it turned off because I find the pad more convenient for general stuff.

I keep the pad on the lighting cable because when it starts to discharge the battery it seems to go to sleep very quickly and will miss fine adjustments, which irritates me. The mouse hasn't ever done that, so I keep it close… to threaten the pad. :)

If I used a track /magic pad for DAW i do have a Steinberg CMC-AI USB controller that has a main knob which is handy. once my cursor is placed over any parameter i can use the AI knob for precise adjustments. I wish i could use that on Axe edit
You can. Enable "Mouse Wheel" in Edit's Settings > Preferences > General page.

You can. Enable "Mouse Wheel" in Edit's Settings > Preferences > General page.
What I meant was I wish I could enable my Steinberg usb midi controller to use on Axe Edit to twiddle knobs. My CMC- AI controller only works inside of Cubase as a midi device controller. It's not a huge deal but it'd be handy to use on Axe Edit this way as well. Below is pic of the controller I"m talking about. It has a multi function wheel which I find I use a lot. Good to know about the trackpad...i'm strongly considering it

Attachments

• cmc AI.jpg
    cmc AI.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Anything that isn't a Logitech mouse is no good to me nowadays. I love that switchable click vs free scrolling wheel. Over here my go-to is the old wired G502 whereas my spouse uses the MX Master 2S.

Logitech's software is a bit garbage but the hardware is good and you don't need to use the sw if you don't want to.

Now keyboards, that's where things get more wild for me. I am currently using the awfully named Ultimate Hacking Keyboard. It's ridiculously programmable and you can even attach a trackpad, trackball or trackpoint to it. I use the trackball as my secondary mouse when I just want to quickly select something without moving my hand off the keyboard.

I use a magic pad. It's great for swiping instead of scrolling and it's good for preventing carpal tunnel. But I keep a mouse right next to it and for precise work in my DAW I'll primarily use the mouse. I find drag and drop with a magic pad is awkward, and there's a lot of that when working in a DAW.

I use a magic pad. It's great for swiping instead of scrolling and it's good for preventing carpal tunnel. But I keep a mouse right next to it and for precise work in my DAW I'll primarily use the mouse. I find drag and drop with a magic pad is awkward, and there's a lot of that when working in a DAW.
Agree with this. I primarily use the Apple Trackpad as my mouse but for fine adjustments and drag and drop operations a regular mouse works better usually.

Back
Top Bottom