Mouse Review

I personally hate mice that are too small and flat. The Apple Magic Mouse is the worst because of this. It’s too small and flat and the extra effort to make my already relatively small hands conform to that shape is straining and crampy. I have an ancient Logitech G5 on the Mac mini and a Razer Naga on the flight sim rig and both are very comfortable over long sessions.

Well, turns out work sent me a Logitech MX Master 2S along with a Das Keyboard that I hadn't noticed. Figured I'd try it out.

I dig it. The heft is nice. More weight than the Razer Death Adder. Ergonomics are fine. I'm a minimal mouse user so I'm not too picky there (and I game on the PC with a...gasp...controller because I can't retrain my brain to M+K). What I really like is the scroll wheel. I have to admit that flick scrolling on the Apple Mouse has been my hard-to-quit habit. And the MX has a pretty nice flick scrolling implementation. It's not as good as the Apple Mouse but it's the best I've encountered in a non-Apple mouse AND it works cross-platfrom.

So I've been using it all weekend, between Windows PC and macOS machines, and I dig it. Nice to have a single mouse that works consistently well across both Windows and macOS. Previously I was switching to separate Apple Mice for my macOS machines and the Razer for my Windows machine.

The wireless is a nice bonus. I have the BT receiver for it plugged into my USB switcher I use to move the keyboard and webcam (and now mouse) between three machines. Works well that way.

OP,
I prefer a Kensington Optical Mouse-for-Life wired mouse. Comfortable hand feel, small enough that it doesn't get in the way of others things. Been my choice of optical mouse for many years now. Just feels better than a trackpad or bluetooth mouse. The scroll wheel is nice, too.

I once preferred the Mouse-in-a-Box, but they aren't seen much anymore and are overpriced currently because of demand.

Amazon product ASIN B011COBTBG

The Kensington Trackball has become a standby for me. I have four of these things (in different locations).

Amazon product ASIN B00009KH63
+1. I’ve been using various iterations of Kensington’s “Expert Mouse” trackball for 25 years. You can get all kinds of precision when you don’t have to move a physical object across the desk. Just anchor your forearm, and use your fingertips to manipulate a big ol’ trackball.

Added benefit: if you have to click on a single pixel without any movement at all, just park the cursor and take your fingers off the trackball. Now you can use whatever finger you like to poke the mouse button all day long, and your cursor won’t budge. Try that with a regular mouse, and see how that works out for you. ;)

Another added benefit: you don’t have to give up real estate on your desk to swing a mouse around.

Also SW Programmer, came to prefer the logitech trackball m570...IMHO better than shoving a mouse around...not to mention the ergo-factor

+1. I’ve been using various iterations of Kensington’s “Expert Mouse” trackball for 25 years. You can get all kinds of precision when you don’t have to move a physical object across the desk. Just anchor your forearm, and use your fingertips to manipulate a big ol’ trackball.

Added benefit: if you have to click on a single pixel without any movement at all, just park the cursor and take your fingers off the trackball. Now you can use whatever finger you like to poke the mouse button all day long, and your cursor won’t budge. Try that with a regular mouse, and see how that works out for you. ;)

Another added benefit: you don’t have to give up real estate on your desk to swing a mouse around.
Yes to all of the above. On the last point, I use them in a couple situations where there is no room for traditional mouse use at all. I have a mini "workstation" using these and a monitor for my keyboards and vocal booth areas. Any trackball could work, but I've found these the most ergonomic and reliable. We should start a club and get t-shirts and everything...

I also work at IT and have issues wiht normal sized mouse because I have big hands and my hand cramps when using it all day long.
So I have for work Logitech Performance MX where the battery pack is replaceable and can be charged internal.
I got another one at home because it works good for me.
I think the Performance MX is discontinued now and the successor is Logitech MX Master, but don't know if it's okay.
I have the MX Master 3 and I love it.

Does anyone here have mad VI(M) skills, and can do all the navigating with the keyboard alone? Is it rad?
Yeah...I spend a lot of my time in neovim or vi (on some systems where I don't have root). I'm pretty sure I started v1 of my vimrc in like 2004. But, that was before I learned version control, so I'm not exactly sure.

I also use vimium in my browser.

Days when I don't have to use my mouse are kind of better in some ways, but they're also worse because they mean I didn't do anything with music software that day.

I also work in IT

Code:
Write-Host 'Hello World'

I originally used a Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring K72337US but when I started a new job about 4 years ago they wouldn't allow you to bring in any of your own devices, so they gave me a Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse. I replaced all my Kensington Orbit Trackball's with the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse and haven't had any finger/thumb, hand or wrist pain since. The main issue I have with the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse is that the left mouse button goes bad in less than a year and the price of them keeps going up. The current one I'm using for work will probably break soon, so I'll have to try some of the other suggestions like the Logitech ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse or MX Ergo Wireless Trackball Mouse.
I have both of those as well as a couple others. It's because I hate mice and can't find anything that works for me long term.

I don't like the orbit much. It feels cheap, and I can't get middle-button emulation to work right with it. I'm forcing myself to use it right now because my thumb started hurting again, but...man, I kinda hate it.

I don't like the m570 at all. I have one; I really should just give it away or something. But, it's a glitchy mess. The wireless just doesn't work right. No wireless mouse has ever worked right for me. The only good thing that I can say about it is that I really like the ball they come with. I use it on other trackballs that come with red ones (as long as they still work) because blue is just the superior color.

I do have an older wired logitech that looks a lot like the m570, but the shape is better. And it's wired, which is better. It's grey and came with a red ball.

I think my favorite right now is an elecom ex-g. It's just enough more comfortable than the logitechs that it takes longer to bug me.

I think I might have a wired trackpad too....but we won't talk about that. If I do still have it, it's just because I haven't gotten around to recycling or donating it yet.

I'm actually thinking about getting another gaming mouse just for something different. I have some issues with my shoulder, so it's probably a bad idea. But, my thumb has been bugging me more lately. And the MX Ergo I have is....well, it's wireless, so it's crap. But it's also just not at all comfortable. I'm thinking 502 Hero or one of the RATs. I have fond memories of a RAT from like 10 years ago. I wish I knew where it went. I probably donated it in a fit of anger when my shoulder was bothering me more than my thumb one day.

BTW....if anybody knows of a TrackPoint (the little red thing in the middle of thinkpads) style "mouse" that's USB (I'd even consider wireless) that I can buy, I'll pay you at finder's fee. I know I've seen them, but that might have been in the bearanstein bears universe or something. They're the only pointing device I've ever used that I haven't hated. But, unfortunately, at this point, I hate normal keyboards even more than I hate mice...so the couple integrated ones I've seen just don't seem worth it.

Well... just over a month later and the left mouse button is now failing. Single presses sometimes register as double-clicks.

Fortunately the mouse comes with replacement switches. So I swapped it out and it's good now but we'll see. My gut tells me the problem is that the debouncing isn't being done right (or at all). Also the replacement switches are different and make a metallic "clink" when depressing the button.

Well... just over a month later and the left mouse button is now failing. Single presses sometimes register as double-clicks.

Fortunately the mouse comes with replacement switches. So I swapped it out and it's good now but we'll see. My gut tells me the problem is that the debouncing isn't being done right (or at all). Also the replacement switches are different and make a metallic "clink" when depressing the button.
Yeah, that doesn't bode well. Hope things work out for you.

Actually testing a budget mouse with similar shape and size of Logitech MX but with switchable DPI and 2 Bluetooth channels (works with my Mac mini well) and USB dongle. Simply switchable by button.
Right now after 2 weeks working fine and no issues.
May be a good alternative for around 30€.
I do not use it 8 hours a day at home.

Poor debouncing is a part of it, the other big part is the switch to lower voltage MCUs and therefore lower currents being applied to the contacts causing premature wear - not using the right design and the switch for the lower voltage. Not sure if any manufacturer has already fixed this problem, but at least Logitech has a decent warranty in Europe and they replace the double clickers without a problem. And I've resoldered quite a few of them with new switches, they all lasted a couple of years at most.

A very in-depth video:

I am a physicist and do a lot of programming for self-build measuring instruments.

Used a lot of mice over the years. When they are new almost every mouse is fine, but some degrade very fast, some seem to last forever. I have the best experience with Logitech MX models (not cheap, but worth the money). Mostly because they work on critical surfaces (they call it Darkfield Technology) and don't wear as much. My most often used mouse is an MX model which is 15 years old and still works perfectly.
Yes, they are wireless, but they have rechargable and replaceable AA batteries and you can also attach an USB cable and charge the battery during use.

However, I don't have experience with their latest incarnation "MX Master" yet.

Edit: Oh, it seem that their latest MX models have built in batteries.
+1 on how well these work on any surface. My computer life is pretty stationary these days, but not long ago I worked on flat black and faux woodgrain desks and various couches, and these work incredibly well on all of them, way better than anything else.

I use an Anywhere Mouse MX these days, does great.

It's hard to find a simple mouse these days. I have one with about 20 buttons and scrollers I never use and about half a dozen I'm constantly activating with unexpected results. Damn kids!

The website says your mouse switches should be good for 70 million clicks.

A few weeks ago, I replaced my Logitech M570 Trackball mouse with the Logitech MX Ergo Advanced Wireless Trackball 910-005178 and it has a rechargeable battery. The Logitech M570 left mouse button would usually start having issues within a year. I always buy them from Amazon and spend the extra $6 for the extended warranty. The Logitech MX Ergo was almost double the price but it feels more solid and I like that it can be tilted to adjust to my hand/wrist angle. Time will tell how long it lasts.

I ran the same Logitech MX518 for twelve years of 10+ hour daily use at home and it performed flawlessly right up until the cable failed. I replaced the cable but finding OEM quality cables is a problem and it failed again shortly thereafter. I have a collection of mice in the same line (G502 etc) that I've used at work in various offices, and now I'm using the modern day MX518 "remake". I literally don't plan to use anything else for the rest of my life, and I buy one or two for a stock pile when they go on sale.

I'll try it out, I have been using the Logitech MX Master 2S for a long time now. There have been a lot of glitches with Mac OS updates to the point I don't even try to use the bluetooth, I pair via usb. I just want it to work. I like the programmable button layout.

Back
Top Bottom