Mouse Review

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I'm very particular about mice for programming uses. I seem to wear them out pretty fast. My prior favorite was the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical but sadly these are no longer made and the new version feels really cheap and there are lots of reports of the switches and wheel failing in short time.

My second favorite is the old Lenovo optical mouse. These are no longer made either.

I don't like wireless mice because of the landfill implications of disposable batteries.

So it seems that the only high quality mice nowadays are all focused on gaming. After doing some research I came upon the Asus ROG Gordius III. It's a gaming mouse but features high quality switches and a nice, ergonomic design.

After using it for some time I really like it. Very high quality feel, great tactile response. Slides effortlessly on my mouse pad and isn't too heavy nor too light.

Will have to see how it holds up but so far I give it five stars and the CC "Highly Recommended" award.

Does it have that awful non-slip coating that starts disintegrating almost immediately? I've gone through soooo many Logitech mice because of that awful stuff...

I'm very particular about mice for programming uses. I seem to wear them out pretty fast. My prior favorite was the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical but sadly these are no longer made and the new version feels really cheap and there are lots of reports of the switches and wheel failing in short time.

My second favorite is the old Lenovo optical mouse. These are no longer made either.

I don't like wireless mice because of the landfill implications of disposable batteries.

So it seems that the only high quality mice nowadays are all focused on gaming. After doing some research I came upon the Asus ROG Gordius III. It's a gaming mouse but features high quality switches and a nice, ergonomic design.

After using it for some time I really like it. Very high quality feel, great tactile response. Slides effortlessly on my mouse pad and isn't too heavy nor too light.

Will have to see how it holds up but so far I give it five stars and the CC "Highly Recommended" award.

I'm also very particular about a precise mouse and I'll only use wired. I use a Razer Death Adder Elite. I'm also particular about mouse pads and I only use a Mouse Rug (don't waste your time with cheap imitations).

Quite a fan of the Logitech G-Series (G403 I think is the new equivalent to my old mouse).

Still has the annoying RGB stuff, but you luckily can turn that off.

Man, those things are bullet proof. I prefer the older, more robust mice and keyboards. Both the keyboard and trackpad on my MacBook are way too “shallow.”

Cool to hear about that one!

Personally, I prefer not to slide a mouse around a workstation - I got into thumb-operated trackball mice long ago. It probably improves your pick-hand dexterity for guitar as well! :)

Using a Logitech MX ERGO M-R0065 currently.

Personally, I prefer not to slide a mouse around a workstation - I got into thumb-operated trackball mice long ago. It probably improves your pick-hand dexterity for guitar as well! :)

Using a Logitech MX ERGO M-R0065 currently.
Same - too much Quake and I ended up with RSI from mice, I switched to the thumb-trackballs back around 2000, the MX Ergo is currently my choice as well.

https://openrgb.org/

And that'll let you turn off all the !@#$ing lights that seem to come on simple peripherals these days.

I work in IT and I'm super particular about ergonimics and anything I directly interface with as well. Keyboards too. I bought a keyboard with cherry brown switches and o-rings around the inside of the key mounts to dampen the presses and it's been fantastic.

I hate the "gaming" aesthetic and lights on peripherals as well, but yeah the gaming stuff seems to be the best for ergonomics and quality.

My latest favorite mouse is the Logitech G502 Hero. It looks like the kind of mouse you'd see in a dumb hollywood movie that's used by a hoodie wearing hacker in a dark basement with techno blaring in the background but it's a great mouse.

jTLtFSG.png

$50. It's wired, so no batteries, no worries about charging, and it feels great to use. I forget about it in my hand almost instantly. All the buttons are positioned so you don't feel like you have to reach for them, including the 3 thumb buttons. The Left mouse button is slightly concave which really helps with the feel and makes your pointer finger feel more settled into the mouse so it feels more like an extension of your hand. The mouse wheel feels great and can be unlocked for free spinning scrolling to let you whiz around long documents, but doesn't feel weird when it's set back to standard scrolling mode.

It does have a few LEDs on it but the free included software lets you turn them all off. Also, it's also entirely too sensitive out of the box with its kajillion DPI laser, but you can turn that down to reasonable levels as well. And you can customize all the buttons to do anything you want including macros and/or even keyboard key presses. I normally setup my DPI to about 1450, and there's a small button in the middle of the mouse below the free scroll toggle I've setup as a kind of sniper mode button to slow the pointer to about 100 DPI while I hold it down, which helps with really tight work around very small buttons or image editing.

Great mouse, the best I've used and I've gone through a lot of them.

Last edited:

I was a die-hard IMO user for 20 years but had to throw in the towel maintaining it. I'm currently using the similar Zowie AM , which has also been discontinued. :rolleyes:
The Zowies are inspired by those great old microsoft mice and don't look like a transformers toy.

Back
Top Bottom