Mounting your FM3 and/or FM6 to a pedalboard

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I’m posting this because I’ve seen lots of questions about how to mount the FM3 to pedalboards. There are a lot of good ideas such as using screws, etc. This is just the way I do it. I’ve found it to be easy, relatively cheap, and quite strong. It allows you to keep the end caps on and allows airflow under the FM3.

To mount the FM3 (or FC6), I use 2” strips of 3M dual lock (not the low profile stuff; I like 3550 from Amazon)

This will work on carpeted or smooth boards.

Attach four of the strips to the unit.
E2F835C1-73D6-4516-B5CF-7D2B0D977559.jpeg

Use 8 strips to create risers (use a Sharpie to black out the sticky tape as desired).
490F6938-F71B-4981-BCDB-C0D332CBC2F2.jpeg
Attach risers to the strips on the unit.
F320828D-1421-4249-84CF-DCBD66B25AAA.jpeg

If using a carpeted (aka fuzzy side of Velcro like on a pedaltrain) board you can just put the unit in place; the dual lock sticks very well to Velcro loop (again, the fuzzy side of Velcro).

If you’re using a smooth board, use four more strips.
8A3571A2-3DD2-4E90-BF81-8019CD12734B.jpeg

This works very well and is very solid. 3M dual lock is soooooo much better than standard Velcro.

Anyway, I just thought I’d share one way to do it. Like I said there are plenty of other good methods. Hopefully this helps a person or two.

Absolutely take the sides off. The vents are on the side. I would be afraid of using different screws and hitting internal component.

There is a vent on the bottom - presumably an intake? I use the layered dual-lock method in the OP, with the sides on, with a PedalTrain and it works great.

I take the sides off and use normal velcro -- usually left over velcro from the loads of pedals I sell/rebuy/sell again LOL... the velcro stays longer and is actually used more than most of the pedals.
Anyway, enough regular velcro and keep that bottom vent open just in case works fine (for me). I do understand those that prefer dual lock, having the FM3 seated higher, but for me the profile is simply too high for my uses that way.
But, GOOD STUFF!
The pedaltrain Metro 20 with Dunlop mini expression and Boss FS-7 is great, portable, rock solid and extremely powerful! In fact, I just sold my last (for now) regular pedal and I'm mounting my FM3 back on the Metro 20 as we speak.

File_000.jpeg

Absolutely take the sides off. The vents are on the side. I would be afraid of using different screws and hitting internal component.

Huh? There’s a vent on the bottom of the FM3.

People have tested using screws and had plenty of success. You just have to do a tiny bit of research to find out what length the screws should be (I believe people use the 16mm ones when going through a washer and a Temple board).

I take the sides off and use normal velcro -- usually left over velcro from the loads of pedals I sell/rebuy/sell again LOL... the velcro stays longer and is actually used more than most of the pedals.
Anyway, enough regular velcro and keep that bottom vent open just in case works fine (for me). I do understand those that prefer dual lock, having the FM3 seated higher, but for me the profile is simply too high for my uses that way.
But, GOOD STUFF!
The pedaltrain Metro 20 with Dunlop mini expression and Boss FS-7 is great, portable, rock solid and extremely powerful! In fact, I just sold my last (for now) regular pedal and I'm mounting my FM3 back on the Metro 20 as we speak.

View attachment 83130
If you take the sides off you can use regular or even the low profile dual lock and have it sit as low or lower than Velcro and still allow as good of airflow as with Velcro (because you don’t need to cover the mounting surface with the Velcro loop side). And dual lock is a waaaay more rigid attachment than Velcro. Velcro has some wiggle, dual lock has none.

With all that said, Velcro works well enough. :)

I did lots of careful measuring. I actually had more difficulty finding screws long enough in that diameter (M3.5) and thread pitch (0.60). I had to countersink the heck out of the holes on the underside of the plywood to get them to thread! There are multiple ways to skin this cat. Mine works - and I can carry the board like a suitcase!

Last edited:
0B1A79EE-B7A2-4BD7-995D-B8EC2FE97BBC.jpeg
It’s not that complicated. Add some Duralock to the existing feet. One and done and you get the added airflow clearance from the thickness of the Duralock. No need to remove the sides. But to each his own

View attachment 83214
It’s not that complicated. Add some Duralock to the existing feet. One and done and you get the added airflow clearance from the thickness of the Duralock. No need to remove the sides. But to each his own
I admit I haven’t tried that but it always seemed like it must be less secure because there’s far less surface area for the sticky side to adhere to. Also the existing sides/feet are a rubbery texture that seems like it wouldn’t provide quite the same adhesion.

But hey, if it works it works. Like I said, I just posted the way I do it.

Thanks so much @Deadpool_25!

I've been using mine on the floor at gigs and had a few people trip over it. I've now mounted it to my trusty Pedaltrain Jr and this method worked great.

It's a really tight fit in the soft case, but it does close OK even with all the required cables in the front pocket of the bag.

Back
Top Bottom