Mounting FM3

Keybi

Inspired
Just had the idea to fix the FM3 with four strong neodym magets on my pedalboard.
Any objection? Does the strong magnetic field can do harm to the components inside the FM3?
Or is the magnetic field "shielded" by the case of the FM3?

The FM3 does not have any CRT's or magnetic storage technology in it. Magnetic fields do affect and induce current, so for the sake of the FM3 (particulalry around the power supply unit under the screen) and everything around it (to include your guitar, particularly the pickups), how about some zip ties instead? Zero risk.

The FM3 does not have any CRT's or magnetic storage technology in it. Magnetic fields do affect and induce current, so for the sake of the FM3 (particulalry around the power supply unit under the screen) and everything around it (to include your guitar, particularly the pickups), how about some zip ties instead? Zero risk.

With the help of tiny washers, I could adjust the magnets for a perfect fit (No need to remove the side caps).
Removing the FM3 from the board would be rather easy.

You're still introducing a strong magnetic field to the unit, and unless @FractalAudio himself says it's no issue, I would not do. Clipping zip ties is just as easy and zip ties are cheap. FM3 PSU's are not, either in money or time.

Last edited:
I'm using 3M Dual Lock on my Pedaltrain board and it's not going anywhere now! I already had traditional Velcro on the Pedaltrain board (the soft "loop" side) and the Dual Lock attached right to that no problem. Also, the extra thickness of the Dual Lock provides a little gap underneath the FM3 to help with ventilation. I've left it on for hours and it's rarely even gotten hot enough to kick the fan on (I've watched the temp gauge to be sure). If you use Dual Lock for both sides (the FM3 side and the pedalboard side) it would provide even more clearance.

I'm using 3M Dual Lock on my Pedaltrain board and it's not going anywhere now! I already had traditional Velcro on the Pedaltrain board (the soft "loop" side) and the Dual Lock attached right to that no problem. Also, the extra thickness of the Dual Lock provides a little gap underneath the FM3 to help with ventilation. I've left it on for hours and it's rarely even gotten hot enough to kick the fan on (I've watched the temp gauge to be sure). If you use Dual Lock for both sides (the FM3 side and the pedalboard side) it would provide even more clearance.
Is this with the FM3’s feet on or off?

I am familiar with the Dual Lock. Problem is, those locks lock pretty good ;-). Removing the unit can be pretty hard.
Furthermore, removing the side bars ist no option. My customer wants to remove the FM3 easily for stand alone use (without the FC6 and all the other stuff on the board).

Also it is not that easy to fill the clearance ( Dual Lock ist not big enough)

The most elegant solution would be the magnets. You could fix them to the board but not that tight. So if you put the FM3 to the board, the magnets "jump" onto the case. Then you can adjust the perfect height by adjusting a screw from the other side.

By the way, I didn't came up with the idea. Bluguitars AMP1 offers this option. They sell magnets for the amp and even provide a stencil to mount the magnets for a perfect fit ;-)

So, maybe the FM3 design team can tell something about the use of magnets with the FM3 ;-)

I am familiar with the Dual Lock. Problem is, those locks lock pretty good ;-). Removing the unit can be pretty hard.
Furthermore, removing the side bars ist no option. My customer wants to remove the FM3 easily for stand alone use (without the FC6 and all the other stuff on the board).

Yeah, Dual Lock is definitely not easy to detach. If that's what you want, it's a perfect choice! If that's not what you want, it's a terrible choice.

For reference, this is with the end caps off and sitting on 3 pieces of Dual-Lock. Nearly impossible to get off and has plenty of clearance for air flow.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 115
Finally, I took some plywood and attached it to the Temple Audio pedal plate. I sanded it down (the thickness of the adhesive tape in mind) so that the rubber feet have contact with the board. TA1.jpgTA2.jpgTA1.jpgTA2.jpgTA1.jpgTA2.jpgTA1.jpgTA2.jpgTA1.jpgTA2.jpg

Interesting, I am also using the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 (with a Mesa 1x12 Recto cab) with my FM3.
I attached my FM3 to the Duo 24 directly using m3.5 x 15mm screws (with a washer) from underneath the board. Left the rubber side bumpers on. I have used the mounting plates in the past but they are such a PITA to clean off of pedals if you want to remove them that I went the direct route with the FM3 and the 2 Mission pedals on my red Duo 24. Also have the guitar input and output jacks wired to the side module, as well as the AC power. Just ordered a USB module so I can have the cable to my laptop permanently wired on the board. I also attached my FC-12 to a Duo 24 in the same manner, directly with screws and washers.IMG_2937.jpegIMG_2938.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom