Mountain Bikers?

Season never ended here (FL) but the trails are pretty lame compared to my previous homes in VA and CO. :)

Sold off my 29er a few years back and kept my fat bike: It's just so much fun. It's a Borealis Crestone.
https://www.fatbike.com give em a ride if you get a chance....great company and great bikes.

IMG_9104.jpeg

Season never ended here (FL) but the trails are pretty lame compared to my previous homes in VA and CO. :)

Sold off my 29er a few years back and kept my fat bike: It's just so much fun. It's a Borealis Crestone.
https://www.fatbike.com give em a ride if you get a chance....great company and great bikes.

View attachment 80204
That’s an AWESOME bike! Yeah, the season doesn’t end here for some but I haven’t invested in the cold weather gear. The Roanoke, VA area has so many beautiful rides. It’s absolutely incredible. This is “Enchanted Forest” in Carvin’s Cove, VA. You may have been there before.EBA26137-92DE-4B01-A8B0-4C38B5B0B48D.jpeg

Hopefully your rebuild isn't delayed. I just sent out my suspension for rebuild, and it's going to be like 5 weeks turnaround. I guess that's what I get for being lazy and waiting until now to perform major service... Road and gravel for the next few weeks I guess.

I'm up in the Seattle area. I usually stay off the trails (or at least the more elevation driven rides) in the winter because I hate all the additional service that inevitably comes from constant mud pounding the bearings and drivetrain (plus all the suspension pivots... not on a hardtail as you guys appear to be.) Takes a little bit after the freeze-thaw cycles stop to dry out some of the slop, but then it's great all summer and early fall. We've had so much excellent trail expansion with the Evergreen MTB Alliance in the last 5-10 years, the quality of riding around me has really elevated, especially in the blue square/black diamond descending trails.

Also hoping for an open Canada border for a trip to Whistler this summer :)

That's a sweet looking ride. Hope you can take it out soon.

Still winter here in Colorado, just had 20+ inches of snow this week in Denver. But soon enough we'll start to get some warm days...

Hopefully your rebuild isn't delayed. I just sent out my suspension for rebuild, and it's going to be like 5 weeks turnaround. I guess that's what I get for being lazy and waiting until now to perform major service... Road and gravel for the next few weeks I guess.

I'm up in the Seattle area. I usually stay off the trails (or at least the more elevation driven rides) in the winter because I hate all the additional service that inevitably comes from constant mud pounding the bearings and drivetrain (plus all the suspension pivots... not on a hardtail as you guys appear to be.) Takes a little bit after the freeze-thaw cycles stop to dry out some of the slop, but then it's great all summer and early fall. We've had so much excellent trail expansion with the Evergreen MTB Alliance in the last 5-10 years, the quality of riding around me has really elevated, especially in the blue square/black diamond descending trails.

Also hoping for an open Canada border for a trip to Whistler this summer :)
Yeah, I could tell the hesitant look on his face (because of the COVID times we're in). He said "ideally" it'll be Friday (tomorrow). I'd almost bet my house it won't be. At some point I'll have a full suspension but man, I'm having fun on the Stache 7. That thing is like a monster truck!

We have a group here called "Blue Ridge Off-Road Cyclists." Great group of people who've done phenomenal work in the area. We were just awarded IMBA Silver and it's because of groups like this. https://blueridgeoffroadcyclists.org/

That's a sweet looking ride. Hope you can take it out soon.

Still winter here in Colorado, just had 20+ inches of snow this week in Denver. But soon enough we'll start to get some warm days...
Thanks! I love riding it!

And I'm a weather nut so I was following the storm that hit you all. It's actually causing some pretty crazy weather in the Southeast as I type this.

Thanks! I love riding it!

And I'm a weather nut so I was following the storm that hit you all. It's actually causing some pretty crazy weather in the Southeast as I type this.
Yea, I saw it's hitting you now. Hang in there and I hope there isn't too much flooding or damage.

I used to live in RDU area and rode there and Tsali in the Smokies a lot. Miss it!

Yea, I saw it's hitting you now. Hang in there and I hope there isn't too much flooding or damage.

I used to live in RDU area and rode there and Tsali in the Smokies a lot. Miss it!
Wow, thanks for the suggestion on Tsali. We have a bunch to keep us busy here locally but man, that looks like it would be an awesome weekend trip!

Beginning of the season (for me) and the rear hub is done on my Stache7. Hoping COVID doesn't delay replacement but I'm not confident.
Trek can certainly make a sexy bike!

Nice bikes. I have a friend who rides a Telluride and loves it.

I built up an XC hardtail 29er and a 27.5" fat bike over the past year. Quite a process tracking down all the parts and very few deals to be had with what is going on in the industry. But in the end everything is together and functional. The fatbike has had all the attention over the winter as things have been cold and white since November here in Alaska. Looking forward to introducing the XC to some dirt in another month or two.

The Netherlands is the nation of bicycles. All our major streets have separate lanes for bicycles and legally even the crappiest careless cyclist is protected because whenever a bicycle and a car have an accident, the car owner is legally always responsible, no matter how stupid or careless the cyclist was. We are the nation where the vast majority of people use bicycles for everything.

Having said that, speed cyclists and mountain bikers are generally loathed by the general population as the most obnoxious road users. Speed cyclists in particular can't seem to handle it very well when they have other road users in their way and seem to love throwing obscenities and middle finger salutes to other road users. And God help you if they are in a group. And since mountain bikers love to tear up (figuratively) the unpaved roads and paths in nature other recreants and the environmentalists don't seem to like them much either.

So how is this in your neck of the woods?

The Netherlands is the nation of bicycles. All our major streets have separate lanes for bicycles and legally even the crappiest careless cyclist is protected because whenever a bicycle and a car have an accident, the car owner is legally always responsible, no matter how stupid or careless the cyclist was. We are the nation where the vast majority of people use bicycles for everything.

Having said that, speed cyclists and mountain bikers are generally loathed by the general population as the most obnoxious road users. Speed cyclists in particular can't seem to handle it very well when they have other road users in their way and seem to love throwing obscenities and middle finger salutes to other road users. And God help you if they are in a group. And since mountain bikers love to tear up (figuratively) the unpaved roads and paths in nature other recreants and the environmentalists don't seem to like them much either.

So how is this in your neck of the woods?
The Appalachian Trail runs on a ridge right in front of our house. The AT runs over 3000 km from Georgia all the way up to Maine. We're VERY used to hikers and bikers passing through and MOST people here are very curious and helpful. We enjoy having a pint or two with people as they're making their way through.

You obviously can't bike the AT but it's amazing the number of people who hike here, have someone meet them with their mountain bikes, ride a bit, and then head out on foot. Wish I had more time to do something like that myself.

I've never been to The Netherlands but we've been to Ireland several times and our back roads aren't that small but they're not too much wider. Personally, I wouldn't ride a road bike on most of our roads but many of my friends do. They ride respectfully and expect to be treated the same by people in cars...doesn't work out that way sometimes though. They let the motorists who are disrespectful know their feelings with many of the same gestures!

UPDATE: I just heard from my local bike shop and parts delivery is going to be roughly 6 weeks. They have a couple of interesting workarounds that will get me my bike back by Wednesday while waiting for the replacement parts. Happy that I'll be back on the trails next weekend!

Trek can certainly make a sexy bike!

Nice bikes. I have a friend who rides a Telluride and loves it.

I built up an XC hardtail 29er and a 27.5" fat bike over the past year. Quite a process tracking down all the parts and very few deals to be had with what is going on in the industry. But in the end everything is together and functional. The fatbike has had all the attention over the winter as things have been cold and white since November here in Alaska. Looking forward to introducing the XC to some dirt in another month or two.
Would LOVE to see some pics once you make it out!

Over the weekend I put a new Nukeproof wheelset on my 2015 carbon hardtail 27.5 XC bike and tried running tubeless for the first time. The new wheels came pre-taped with a tubeless valve, so I thought I'd give that a try even though I don't have much trouble with flats up here in Alberta Canada. Kind of a mess with the sealant, because it bubbled right up and out the sidewalls of my lightweight XC tires! Wasn't expecting that!

Over the weekend I put a new Nukeproof wheelset on my 2015 carbon hardtail 27.5 XC bike and tried running tubeless for the first time. The new wheels came pre-taped with a tubeless valve, so I thought I'd give that a try even though I don't have much trouble with flats up here in Alberta Canada. Kind of a mess with the sealant, because it bubbled right up and out the sidewalls of my lightweight XC tires! Wasn't expecting that!
Tubeless is one of the best things I've done with my bikes, ever.

The only tires I've had issues with are the 45nrth Dillingers my wife has on her Specialized Fatboy. They were fine for a while but now there is leakage all over the sidewalls. It looks like someone misted them with a spray bottle, and after a while enough accumulates to drip onto the garage floor. I don't know if it is an issue with the Dillingers or maybe the brand of sealant (installed by the bike shop). I've done a bunch of Maxxis, Continental, Terrene, and even a set of studded Schwalbe 29er tires that specifically said they weren't tubeless ready, and all have worked great with various Orange brand sealants (Endurance and Subzero specifically) with no leakage.

I hope you get it sorted out as any hassles are very much worth the gains.

Would LOVE to see some pics once you make it out!
A shot of the fat bike earlier this winter (before a few changes/upgrades) and a newly groomed trail from last month.

Attachments

• fat.jpg
    fat.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 4
  • trail.jpg
    trail.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 4
A shot of the fat bike earlier this winter (before a few changes/upgrades) and a newly groomed trail from last month.
That’s a whole different level of riding right there! I’ve never been out in the snow but it looks like fun.

Yeah, they’ve converted me over to tubeless and set me up with a workaround while we’re waiting for the new hubs. Hope to take it out this weekend! I’m anxious to see if there’s much of a difference in feel going tubeless.

Back
Top Bottom